Main Menu

And another Dr who question....

Started by PeterWolf, 18 May, 2007, 09:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Can anyone say exactly when the very last episode that had John Pertwee as Drwho when he metamorphisised intoTom Baker was?

I have a childhood memory that just never goes away about this episode as i had never watched Dr who ever before as i didnt live in england then and i was visiting.   I moved here not long after that and was hooked immediatly as i thought Tom Baker was just bloody excellent.    

I would love to see the brain of morbious ,the seeds of doom,and that one set in victorian london with the villain who lived in the sewer and once took his mask off. Thats all i can remember apart from Tom Baker buying some muffins at the end

I stopped watching Dr Who after that as none of the other Drs were any good.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

JamesC

The last Pertwee story was 'Planet of the Spiders'.
You can get a synopsis on Wikipedia but I don't know how to do links I'm afraid.

VampiraJen

june 8th, 1974

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Spiders" target="_blank">good ol' wikipedia strikes again!

VampiraJen

damn.  JamesC's post was so NOT there when i posted.  i thought i was being suck a cleaver arse...:)

I stopped watching Dr Who after that as none of the other Drs were any good.

i honestly believe that both Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy could have been brilliant doctors if the show wasn't getting completely fucked around with by that point

JamesC

And of course it would have helped if Colin Baker's outfit wasn't designed in a Blue Peter competition. He looked like a nonce-case.

VampiraJen

true.  but as i said, fucked about.  i liked that his doctor acted like a bit of a bastard (or as far as you could in 1980's kids show) at times and that McCoys doctor was more in touch with the darker side of the character.

Robin Low

"i honestly believe that both Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy could have been brilliant doctors if the show wasn't getting completely fucked around with by that point"

I still rate McCoy has one of the best. I liked most of his stories, too. On film with a budget they'd have been great.

Regards

Robin

JamesC

You're right I think. The trouble was I think the powers that be started aiming it more at a kiddy audience than a family audience which I think was actually quite patronising to the kids at the time.
I remember thinking that the laser baseball bat or whatever the fuck it was that Ace (a shit 'let's try to be cool' name in itself) carried was really naff as it was so self conciously trying to be cool and 'with the kids'.
It reminds me of that 'Nozin' Aroun' spoof in The Young Ones.
'I'm standing up here on this gantry 'coz that's what this programme is all about - SHOCK!'

Peter Wolf

I probably wasnt giving them any credit at all   .That isnt fair at all so i will go with you on this one      Its amazing how often these interfering idiots ruin things especially films.Theres no point doing anything creative unless you have artistic license.  The accountants should stick to what they are good at in my opinion.     Kids dont want namby pamby crap, they want to be scared.

VampiraJen

Kids dont want namby pamby crap, they want to be scared.

i think the adult population have a tendancy to underestimate children.  'we' (and by 'we' i mean mary whitehouse) tend to think that our children should be wrapped in a plastic bubble and sheilded from the world, while we scream 'the children! won't someone think of the children!?!'.  personally i think children and stronger than we give them credibility for and because of their age and lack of world weiriness are probably a lot more adaptable than we are.

so...umm...what were we talking about?  ah yes, planet of spiders.  good ep, i remember enjoying it.  contay to what mary whitehouse said, i, as an arachnophobe, was not scared shitless once.  regeneration, sfx wise, was shit, buy hey, Tom Baker!!!  Woo!!!

ahem.

Peter Wolf

As far as i know she is dead now so thats good.  stupid stupid woman.  

Peter Wolf

As far as i know she is dead now so thats good.  stupid stupid woman.  

VampiraJen

I still rate McCoy has one of the best. I liked most of his stories, too

i liked the one with the brigadier and all that king arthur stuff.  the blue monster was totally ace (oh, god, no pun intended) and for late eighties bbc make up looked totally wicked

Peter Wolf

She should have concentrated on crosswords and knitting  or played Manhunt.

VampiraJen

yes she is.  i remember reading a bit about her just after she died.  there was lots of mixed comments from people.  the one i always remember was from bruce forsyth who said, 'i'm sure many people will miss her, but i won't be one of them."