Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

I'd assumed nothing from Tornado had been reprinted (other than relatively recently in the floppies) - shall have  to add links to the collected edition in future posts.

sheridan

sheridan

I was about seven days ahead with the scheduled posts, then along came the 2000AD Sci-Fi Special 1979: Mek-Wars Pull-out colour poster that doesn't pull its punches!

From the era of using the regular stories but unleashing completely different creators on them: Alan Grant's first Dredd; Dan Dare (in text story form); Strontium Dog, M.A.C.H.1 and the inevitable reprints from 1950s comics.

Best bits - [spoiler]the posters[/spoiler]!

sheridan

2000AD and Starlord Prog 116: Gotta Slice My Way Free – or be Trapped in Hell for ever!

Walked in the cold air
Freezing breath on a window pane
Lying and waiting
A man in the dark in a picture frame
So mystic and soulful
A voice reaching out in a piercing cry
It stays with you until
The feeling has gone only you and I
It means nothing to me
This means nothing to me
Oh, Vienna

(Dredd's family expands)

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 29 September, 2019, 03:15:22 PM
I was about seven days ahead with the scheduled posts, then along came the 2000AD Sci-Fi Special 1979: Mek-Wars Pull-out colour poster that doesn't pull its punches!

From the era of using the regular stories but unleashing completely different creators on them: Alan Grant's first Dredd; Dan Dare (in text story form); Strontium Dog, M.A.C.H.1 and the inevitable reprints from 1950s comics.

Best bits - [spoiler]the posters[/spoiler]!

Kids from Kosma is where I learned that Brits called popsicles ice lollys, and I haven't been the same since!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Right, after taking October off due to reasons I'm back. 

Tornado No 13: The Sound... It's so Real the Train has Come Alive... Aaaarghh! starting off with an unexpected cross-over with a popular 2000AD story!

sheridan

2000AD and Starlord Prog 118: You are Trapped, Johnny Alpha... Trapped in Hell for Ever!

Goodbye to Rick Random and Satan, but not Dan Dare, so next prog isn't truly going to be a jumping-on prog (but near enough).

sheridan

Tornado No 14: The unbelievable is happening here at Wembley! Keegan, Brooking and Francis can only watch as young Davie Hunt skips past West Germany's Schwarzenbeck on his way to his tenth goal!

It's like the twist ending of The Last Jedi, but without the set-up!  Also, Victor Drago heads of to China-Town - how bad can it get (spoiler - not that bad yet, but I'm going to be really wary with future episodes).

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 03 November, 2019, 01:17:12 PM
Tornado No 14: The unbelievable is happening here at Wembley! Keegan, Brooking and Francis can only watch as young Davie Hunt skips past West Germany's Schwarzenbeck on his way to his tenth goal!

Dave Hunt was the editor of Battle - which of course means that England's new young star player was in fact Captain Hurricane! He later went on to obliterate the West German team in a Raging Fury...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 03 November, 2019, 02:06:34 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 03 November, 2019, 01:17:12 PM

Dave Hunt was the editor of Battle - which of course means that England's new young star player was in fact Captain Hurricane! He later went on to obliterate the West German team in a Raging Fury...

Thanks - I'd assumed it was just a random name that could have been a reader - didn't realise it was an authentic in-joke for IPC!

sheridan

sheridan

sheridan

2000AD Prog 120: Big Robot Issue!

Savage versus a really subtle parody of a 20th century dictator...

Joe deals with intruders from a bathtub.

Not that Joe.

Or bathtub, for that matter.

SpaceSpinner2000

Unhappy at the incomplete title of Prog 120! :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Okay, just for you - Prog 120: Tomorrow's Mega Thrills Today!  Big Robot Issue!  Collect Part Two of our BOOK OF ROBOTS - it's riveting!  GASP at the horror of all-out war in 'THE ABC WARRIORS'!  The battle for survival begins in 'Disaster 1990'!  Plus - Judge Dredd, Dan Dare in mind-blowing action!

Meanwhile, the slog continues...

Tornado No 16: Calling the crew of the 'Adolf Hitler'... this is your fuhrer speaking. In minutes you will drop the Behemoth bomb and London will disappear from the Earth!!!

I find out that the Tornado Summer Special is on the shelves (of newsagents in 1979) - will I be able to read and comment on the special, and on a school night?  Find out tomorrow (actually today, because I didn't get a chance to update this thread in my lunchtime like I usually do).