Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

agreed - I'm amazed by the number of web comments and newspaper letters that say: "We were not told about... divorce bill/Irish border/fruit rotting in the fields (delete as applicable) so we should have another referendum" - when they were told over and over again but dismissed it as "remoaner scaremongering"

Modern Panther

We should probably ask UKIP.  I mean, leaving the EU was the only reason they existed for twenty years, and they constantly agitated for a referendum.  Surely they put some thought into the practical aspects of something as obvious as a land border.

My favourite moment of the last few days was The Liar Ian Duncan Smith insisting that if the UK government doesn't get what it wants re border regulation they should walk away from negotiations, presumably just pretending RoI doesn't exist.

Tjm86

TBH the government's policy on these 'negotiations' seems dangerously close to that of Violet Bott.  We are moments away from Mrs May standing in the chamber in Brussels and muttering those immortal words: "I'll scream and scream and scream until I'm sick!" whilst Davis, Gove, Johnson and IDS all stand behind her with their fingers in their ears chanting 'la la la la!'  We are so far past international embarrassment now that the next turn off is the Horse Head nebula. 

IndigoPrime

It's terrifying. It must be astonishing to be someone like Ken Clarke, having followed his party's policy for his entire political career, and suddenly finding himself on the very fringe of the party for being broadly positive about the EU. And tomorrow, the wife and I get to have our first chat with a lawyer, having paid him a small pile of cash just to get his opinion on whether we should proceed with citizenship applications. Thanks, Brexit!

Modern Panther

Government quietly mentioned yesterday that the planned £72k cap on social care costs, which was previously delayed for a few years, is now being scrapped as unaffordable. The Tories are now willing to screw over their base just to keep the country afloat, whereas previously they focussed mainly on the poor and disenfranchised.  And this is before budgeting for the massive infrastructure projects we'll need to place in 18 months time but which haven't been started yet.

Still, sovereignty eh...can get enough of it.

So glad

TordelBack

Quote from: Modern Panther on 08 December, 2017, 08:13:42 AM...the massive infrastructure projects...

Come now, there must be some coolies, bearers or shovel-wallahs hanging about that can be pressed into service of Empire.  Probably been sitting around chewing betel since '75, must be desperate to improve themselves with a bit of honest toil at the end of a swagger stick, when swung by the right sort of chap.

Old Tankie

Professor Bear

After months of strong and stable negotiations, May has agreed to everything the EU demanded on day one - she strongly refused to budge in stable negotiations, securing a strong and stable future for the workers of Britain.  In a stunning display of strength and stability, she has also agreed to everything Ireland demanded in regards to the border issue, as well as agreeing to everything the DUP demanded by agreeing to move the border to the English Channel.
Irish Teashop, Varak... Vanar... Vanak - the Irish president has issued the following statement to the UK press: "You're our wife now."

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 08 December, 2017, 11:32:40 AM
Irish Teashop, Varak... Vanar... Vanak - the Irish president has issued the following statement to the UK press: "You're our wife now."

A paddy, a wog and a poof walk into a border negotiation...

Modern Panther

Quoteagreeing to move the border to the English Channel.

The DUP, finally succeeding in their dream of a united Ireland.

IndigoPrime

The general consensus of lawyers online now seems to be that the fight has narrowed. The chances of no deal are now extremely small, but the chances of stopping Brexit are almost nil, too. The fight now shifts to whether we end up like Canada or Norway/Switzerland. (And some are suggesting the Tories will fuck things up to the point they'll be claiming a victory on a kind of EEA- deal.)

Proudhuff

The test of a first-rate country is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the same agreement and still retain the ability to DUPe the electorate   :lol: :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Prodigal2

I think Indigo's analysis is bang on here. The route map seems a little more predictable now.

marko10174

It's been quite interesting reading this thread, as someone who has never contributed. I am curious... (and drunk, so I do apologise) on what side of the political spectrum do you all align yourselves with? left? right? centrist?

The Legendary Shark

I don't subscribe to the false left/right paradigm. I believe the questions of left or right are artificial constructs designed to attract people to certain parties and present the illusion of choice.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]