Main Menu

SPOILERS! 1327 and Megazine

Started by Leigh S, 10 February, 2003, 06:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangamax

Really liked Ian Gibsons art in the Meg - the best Dredd art i've seen him do for a long time.
But that's meant to be Ghastlyhag Davina McCall isn't it?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Trout

Let's have a big cheer for Gary, now officially a droid with a promising debut.
I genuinely enjoyed it, and had a good old laugh at his appearance - and Tharg's compliment - on the letters page.
Well done Gary - and more, please!

Further thoughts:
What's great: Dredd, with Flint and Gibson art on the same day! Terrific.
Dante, with a great story, lavish and beautiful art and the promise of an intruiging next few episodes.
Darkie's Mob is really, really good fun, with tremendous, atmospheric art.
Family's coming along well.
Also pleased to see a preview of coming progs and Megs, with listings of the stories we can expect.
Atavar II? Oh dear.

What's pish:
Black Siddha. WTF? I don't want to judge it too early, but: what?
Perhaps Mills and Davis just don't mix. I was utterly bored and confused throughout. The art was nice but didn't seem to tell the story in Mills' style. Anyone with me?

I reckon the Prog has nosed ahead of the Meg now, but it was a very happy moment to see them arrive together yesterday, and a very happy evening sifting through them.

- A satisfied Trout

Andy Diggle

Capt.Zeep

I can't believe nobody's pointed out The "Mat Pills" reference in Bec & Cawl...I think he was due for a bit of a gentle piss take :)

The Enigmatic Dr X

I didn't get Black Siddha, nor did I get Bec & Cawl. Both seem a wee bit gimmicky to me. Or maybe I'm just suffering from being away over the weekend.
Lock up your spoons!

Tex Hex

Slippery PD

Well I spose its my Two cents worth....
Megazine
Dredd nice little Wagner by numbers tale, enlightened me to location of Walter (but I should have remembered that). Good Fun and Gibson Art.
Black Sidha, well maybe.  It seems good and may be a return to form from Mr Mills.  With Slaine doing not so bad in the Prog it looks good for ABC Warriors in the Spring.
Family, does this read like the Sopranos with a twist (Superpowers) to anyone else.  I like.
Time Killer, excellent.
Darkies Mob, excellent.
TPO is as good as always.  Some nice little juicy bits in there and David Bishops critism of his own tenure is a good thing.
Juliet November, Rather weak, but would probably look a lot better in a weaker Megazine
Devline Waugh, WOW.  Lots of Vampires and Killings and a bit of Marine twisting.  
Overall the Meg is keeping up its rather high standard.  Congrats to Gordon, I look forward to his vampire lesbianism column (oo-er) next month.

2000ad
Dredd, well we were all wondering about Prager.  Are we gonna see more of him in this tale?  Id like to, but how do you intorduce him to newish audience.  A nice twist with an entrance ti the Undercity
Bec&Kawl, Ive never really liked these two.  But this story was fun and much better than I expected.  Were getting a longer story next week.  Might be interesting.
The VC's is great and once again we get some very nice ideas from Dan Abnett.  Lets hope it keeps up the high standard of book 1.
Terror Tales, rather nice story from a regular messageboard member.  Take a bow Gary.  Were now waiting for Art's past imperfect......
Nikolai Dante has to be one of the most consistent stories running in 2000ad. I cant remeber a bad story.  This one is great, we get some good old background on him and his mum.  Fantastic.
The prog has picked up and in some ways equals the meg, but in my opinion not quite yet.

Yer "Jonathon Ross" Slippo

Marbles

Just picked up the Meg - haven't read it properly yet but flicked thru it for quarter of an hour in borders.

Anyway I wanted to say how much I like the feel of it becoming more a real 'magazine' in style, with lots of bits 'n pieces to dip into. I mean as well as the main strips you have TPO, the Pat Mills Interview, Gordo's soapbox, Daily Star Dredd, Halo Jones pin-up bit, Sin Dex, Future Shock.

I guess it feels more meaty & substantial than it used to. Happy days.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Proudhuff

'more meaty & substantial' suits you sir!
Yes indeedly the Meg is big and hefty this month, can we get badges of the Cupid Dredd?

Nice Pat Mills bit, not fitting the stereotype, resist getting into the pigeonhole at all times!
I enjoyed the rest, although Slaine looks a bit 'clumpy' now.

Can I just say, if the great Thargy is listening, how good 'TPO' is? Having worked with collectors (of a different type) for the last ten years or more, I'm amazed how similar business decisons/structures and feck ups are in Fleetway etc to where I am, never really thought about Zooad this way.

Middenpus
DDT did a job on me

GordonR

>>Can I just say, if the great Thargy is listening, how good 'TPO' is? Having worked with collectors (of a different type) for the last ten years or more, I'm amazed how similar business decisons/structures and feck ups are in Fleetway etc to where I am, never really thought about Zooad this way.

But wouldn't it have been so much better if they'd followed Floyd Kermode's advice in the letters column this week and concentrated more on the stuff about ancient old union disputes?

That would have been truly zarjaz!

Oddboy

Re: Pat Mills interview.

He said about doing a scene for one of his French comics featuring a celebrity being killed.
I don't know who it was but that ain't the point - she's a real person & he's definitely doing "defemation of character" here.
How can he then justify others having an attempt at Sl?ine?
This was him using someone else's character (her *actual* character) without permission.  He might consider his hatred a good enough reason to do it, but why then is someone else's love of a character a bad thing?

Just a thought.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Marbles

Dunno my guess was he was on about Princess Di & you can't libel the dead. Probably wrong tho.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

W. R. Logan

It mentioned the german magazine stern, so a quick search and voila!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bajuu/

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Oddboy

you can't libel the dead
... and Pat can't sue over Sl?ine (being Rebellion's an' all) - so it's totally just the principle.

Oddboy stirring that bucket of poo
Better set your phaser to stun.

McNulty

Here's my thoughts on this week's 2000AD.

Judge Dredd/Aliens: Loving it so far. Dredd kicked that Aliens' Butt!!

Bec and Kawl: Not really my thing I'm afraid. Ganja man kinda puts me off.

V.C.s: Good story, great art, nuff said.

Terror Tales: Saw it coming on the first picture.

Dante: Great stuff. Really enjoying this, and now mom is back in things, it should get better.

Link: http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~rjamieson/Cal-Hab/index.html" target="_blank">The A-Z of Cal-Hab