Main Menu

New Titan titles

Started by Heath C Ackley, 20 February, 2016, 10:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heath C Ackley

(The usual apologies if this has been posted elsewhere)

Just spotted these reports on CBR;

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/titan-comics-hammer-films-team-up-line-horror-comics

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-new-warhammer-40000-comics-arriving-in-september

Interesting news about Hammer. I have always thought Quatermass was a character/concept worthy of an update or reboot.

Funnily enough, when GW first proposed a Warhammer comic years ago, I submitted a Space Marine script. If my weak and addled brain serves me correctly, I think it was Andy Lanning was the editor at the time. He wrote to me explaining that although he liked the story he had already commissioned a Marine strip from Hilary Robinson the day before! I believe the project fell through soon after and, with changes in editorial and format, they did publish a short-lived comic. (In the early nineties? I am sure you guys can help me on that).
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

GordonR

There was a Warhammer comic being put together in the early 90s, but, for reasons unknown, it never saw the light of day. (Although various strips were commissioned for it.)

GW did put out a Warhammer comic in the late 90s, featuring me, Dan Abnett, Colin MacNeil and a bunch of other 2000AD types. In true GW style, it was in b&w, printed on the cheapest paper imaginable and sold at some eye-watering, flesh-gouging price.

After that died, one of the American indies (Boom?) took over the licence and briefly produced monthly Warhammer comics.

Zarjazzer

Maybe they should combine them?  ;)

Always enjoyed Inferno the old anthology book that had the occasional comic strip in it and Warhammer monthly was alot of fun. Orks, Space Marines, even Necromunda and the fantasy version (elves not Eldar) featured.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Zenith 666

Warhammer monthly was indeed expensive costing £2 at launch 80p more than 2000ad at the time.Loved Bloodquest and Daemonifuge.it had some beautiful covers by Kevin walker as well but with prog and the meg I couldn't afford it.

sheridan

I flicked through an issue at the time but was put off by the painted art published in B&W combined with the price.  I've since picked up a collected copy of one of the stories which was printed in colour.  If I had any idea where it was I'd dig it out and share a few details.  Probably in a deeply-buried box in the front room.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: GordonR on 20 February, 2016, 12:11:29 PM
printed on the cheapest paper imaginable and sold at some eye-watering, flesh-gouging price.

I suggested to them quite early on that since their nearest direct competitor was 2000AD and the price and paper stock was something they ought to revisit if they were able, observing that 'smaller page size, shittier paper and noticeably more expensive' was quite a hurdle to overcome in the marketplace.

That turned out to be an object lesson in keeping my gob shut, given that I was smacked down by Marc Gascoigne and never got another commission out of them...!

You live and learn. Allegedly.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

I remember being quietly appalled by just how cheap it looked when it first came out, while being priced at a point that was anything but cheap.

They did improve the paper quality later on.

(I was presented with a copy of it to sign at the Malta Comic Con the other year.  I as just amazed that paper type had actually survived the intervening 15 years.)

W. R. Logan

Quote from: GordonR on 20 February, 2016, 12:11:29 PM
GW did put out a Warhammer comic in the late 90s, featuring me, Dan Abnett, Colin MacNeil and a bunch of other 2000AD types. In true GW style, it was in b&w, printed on the cheapest paper imaginable and sold at some eye-watering, flesh-gouging price.

I remember going into a Games Workshop shop years ago when PJ's art was in an issue. The shop staff couldn't have been more disinterested when I enquirer about the issue and just pointed at a rack where there comics were just dumped.
Even when I took about three issues to the counter they made no attempt to even force any interest.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 20 February, 2016, 07:41:56 PM
I remember going into a Games Workshop shop years ago when PJ's art was in an issue. The shop staff couldn't have been more disinterested

Karl Kopinski and I agreed to do a signing at the Nottingham GW (since we both lived in Nottingham). When we arrived, no one at the store knew we were coming, nothing had been done to promote the signing in-store, and the thought that we might need a table or a chairs didn't seem to occur to them. We stood by the small wall-rack of comics in one corner of the store for about fifteen minutes and then went to the pub.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

8-Ball

An unrelated note to this topic (possibly) but GW's White Dwarf magazine was my first introduction to the art of Kev Walker and I was amused (if not delighted) by his designs for the Imperial Rottweiler's in the early nineties ABC Warriors story Khronicles of Khaos.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Hawkmumbler

I nabbed a few of the GW Warhammer comics a year back in a car boot sale. Lets just say the paper quality makes early prog's look like they where printed on artists board.