Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Daredevil fans in the house?  (Read 12702 times)

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
Re: Daredevil fans in the house?
« Reply #120 on: 21 March, 2016, 04:08:26 pm »
Alas to my knowledge very little is out in trade. There is the 'Lone Stranger' collection which weirdly straddles this section of the run (as I see it) reprinting 265 - 273. So if that's correct (its as listed on Amazon I don't own it) it includes the last of the Inferno cross-over and then the leaving New York and Brandy / The Farm / Shotgun stuff but will leave some pretty major threads dangling without the Ultron tidy up.

It would also seem the Epic Collection will fill the gaps but that's gonna take years . They have done a Typhiod Mary collection which covers 253 - 270, but heavens knows when they'll get back to more Nocenti stuff as they seem to come out every 6 months or so and cover the entire original series. Since DD has so many gaps in this reprinted history (pretty much everything aside the Miller stuff) they have a lot to get through!

Yeah 277 is a beaut. For me though it doesn't top 266, Beer with the Devil, which of all this run - which I was finding pretty mind blowing as a mid to late teenager - was the issue that really made me stand up and realise quite what an 'American'* comic could be!

I didn't see Animal Man, this runs contemporary, as a 'real' American comic as it was by Grant Morrison and in my head then 2000ad in the wrong format!

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 21 March, 2016, 09:44:49 pm »
Well I've read Daredevil in Hell tonight (issues 278 - 282) and its as good as I remember, it really is something utterly different*, you could never say refreshing, but maybe invigourating is a better word. It feels such a natural progression for the run to date and has so many echos of whats gone before. Now Blackheart is trapped trying to impotently escape the influence if his father, or so it seems. Daredevil has to revisit the runs early theme of the violence in his life that so frightened Karen and was, at first justified. Everyone tries to find who they are and what defines them as people.

The glory here is how Nocenti and co twist these echos to make them fresh. The son defies his father, having observed humankind to trap them in Mephisto's idea of evil he learns and grows from them and becomes a changed evil Nocenti has observed. Mephisto is in fact impotent to resist this and while he still slumbers large and immovible the new will forever torment him. Daredevil of course finds that his real strenght doesn't come from his fists but the hope he represents. All our characters discover that the endless climb to perfection isn't human, or indeed inhuman, rather they must accept and embrace their own flaws and still do what's right... or the best they can. Or discover that they can't find themselves, or understand their perfection in the light of others, but rather have to search for it themselves.

Its all wonderful, wonderful stuff and each time I return to it I get something else. Just brilliant. I love the way Nocenti ensures there's a price to pay and ashs to ashs holds true but she sends a cosmic angel into the eternal battle to ensure that balance is maintained and the devil (the other one not the Dare one) pays his due.

Its been suggested that Daredevil has of course been in Hell since the Inferno storyline and that could certainly be said to hold on a full re-read. I however prefer the more literal reading, that while he was in a hell of his own making prior to this he had to be cast to a deeper hell to escape his own 9 levels. Either way the journey is just exquisite in its torture.

Alas with this we lose John Romita Jr after what is surely the greatest work he will ever do. BUT Al Williamson remains and Lee Weeks joins for Nocenti's final arc... so all is good in the world of Matt Murduck... well except of course the world of Matt Murdock is at its best when he's in...

*Well it would be in any other run by Marvel or DC, here its right at home.

Greg M.

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
    • The Beat of His Own Drum
« Reply #122 on: 23 March, 2016, 03:37:45 pm »
One of my favourite bits of Daredevil in Hell is the use of the Silver Surfer. When you're well-immersed in comics lore, you forget how ridiculous the shiny man on the space-plank seems to others, but his guest appearance in this arc is one of his very best. You really get a sense of him as less a person, more a kind of cosmic force, and his clash with Mephisto gives you a sense of what it might be like to be a hapless mortal caught betwixt warring titans. I love the way Romita Jr draws him, with the power cosmic flowing free.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 27 March, 2016, 08:12:23 am »
So the Daredevils been to hell and John Romita Jr has gone, what could be left, surely things can't continue to the standard they've maintained this far.Well in wrapping up her run, joined largely by Lee Weeks, Nocenti sends Matt back to New York at last and frankly almost saves the best for last. After a quite wonderful fill in 283  (let down a little by the art), which tackles America's identity rather than the characters, we get an absolutely fantastic final arc in issues 284 - 290.

The events of Nocenti's epic run really hit home, having put Matt through so much, on returning him to his home she completely pulls him part, the toll of the turmur he's been through finally completely stripping him of who he is and Daredevil literally loses his mind and memories. Luckly for us the reader, if not Matt and New York, Bullseye is on hand to pick up the pieces and take over the role of Daredevil as Matt Murdock explores his past to try to determine who he is and what that means. Behind all this the Kingpin of course plots and continues this endless hunt for our heroes final downfall, again taking aim at the man's soul rather than the body.

As with previous stories in this glorious run Nocenti returns to fimilar themes. In switching roles both Bullseye and Daredevil explore what it is that makes them who they are, identity is central to this arc, as it is almost all that has gone before. Matt Murduck (using the identity of Jack Murdock) hunts unwittingly through his past, while Bullseye realises that being Daredevil, even to tarnish his image is a damned sight more complex that it appears. She (Nocenti) also explores the complexity of good and evil, making clear that few people are simply good or evil, but that angels have horns and devils have wings. It all ends in a typically, but beautifully realised showdown. Its glorious stuff, particularly the episodes drawn by Lee Weeks.

So all that is left is a supreme summary of her time with Daredevil in issue 291, and not only one of Daredevils best runs, in fact probably its best (well wait until I reread Mark Waid's run!) but one of mainstream comics best ever concludes. Nocenti's run is an absolute truimph as its so unashamedly a traditional suoerhero comic, but uses that platform to explore complex ideas and themes in a way rarely (if ever) done up to that point, and not often, if ever, bettered since. She's shows a real courage in stretching both Daredevil and mainstream superhero comics to their absolute limit, throwing ideas with conviction and imagination but always, always remembering what she's doing. Its a writer showing either masterful confidence, or a carefree attitude, probably both, either way its an absolute success. Nocenti has a little luck in that for almost the entire time on the comic she's joined by brilliant artists, Al Willimason's sublime inks creating a uniformity for the last 40 issues or so.

If you've not read this run and think Frank Miller defines Daredevil, read this and think again and marvel at the way Ann Nocenti uses some of the most powerful storytelling to truly explore Matt Murduck's identity, that of the city he loves, the psychology of heroes and villians and the people they affect and those that watch and those that manipulate. Ann Nocenti really does define Daredevil, taking over from one of the most heralded runs in any comic (Frank Miller's Born Again) she showed she was the writer without fear.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 29 October, 2017, 07:41:30 am »
Its been a while since I pester you lot with my Daredevil fetish but I'm just starting a re-read of Ed Brubaker's, largely with Michael Lark, first time since these first came out I think?

Anyway we start were Bendis left us with Matt locked up for the crime of being Daredevil and the folks in prison lining up to work over (in various ways) the man who put most of them there. Brubaker of coures looks like the perfect DD writer and he shows why here. Okay you can't look too closely at the plot, I mean would this happen, would they really do that... mind since this is a Marvel Superhero comic even if it is DD that should be a given... but its truly gripping stuff. Expertly timed, thrilling ploted (see above if a bit silly) and compelling.

Michael Larks gritty art perfect for the grim tone the tales tells and overall this is a good a start to this run as I remember it being. Of course its not Nocenti good (see below) but its certainly as good as the Bendis stuff.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 13 November, 2017, 09:12:40 pm »
So the second half of Brubaker's epic first storyline with DD out of prison and chasing down the person behind his continuing woes leads to a wonderfully engaging labyrithine tale of foes and woes which all boils down to putting fear into the man without... any of that ... fear that is.

Its good stuff, even if it doesn't quite hold up to the prison stuff. Its still very good. That however is not why I'm here. Rather I'm here to talk about the aftermath of that story held in the trade 'Cruel and Unusual' a fine story indeed. The story of Matt Murduck a man destroyed and beyond hope pulled back trying to save an evil man behold hope on death row and for once innocnet. Okay so the crme caper doesn't quite hold up to close scrutiny. It does hold together though 'cos it bowls you through and bowls over with some great characters and some nice distraction so you don't look too close.

Its cracking stuff with Brubaker joined by his old lacky Rucka (and Michael Lark) and I really enjoyed this one. If for no other reason that they seemed to break the DD trope of driving him further and further down a path of self destruction after the death / betrayl / losing a loved one. I mean its not like he's handling things well BUT for now at least this hope against the hopeless. This tale of Matt Murdock saving someone beyond hope, even if he can't save other's, even if it is Brubaker and Rucka by the numbers is really refreshing and actually possibly the highlight of this run.