Main Menu

Daredevil fans in the house?

Started by chris_askham, 20 September, 2008, 06:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroxian

Greg M.

That blog makes an interesting point about how few Silver Age characters had siblings. In 2000AD, of course, if a character's got a brother, that brother is almost definitely a baddie. (Alpha, Dredd, Savage, Devlin Waugh, Amtrak, most of Dante's brothers bar two...)

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 24 March, 2015, 05:08:20 PM
That blog makes an interesting point about how few Silver Age characters had siblings. In 2000AD, of course, if a character's got a brother, that brother is almost definitely a baddie. (Alpha, Dredd, Savage, Devlin Waugh, Amtrak, most of Dante's brothers bar two...)

Are you trying to pluck up the courage to talk publicly about the evil Greg W?

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 27 March, 2015, 11:37:34 PM
Are you trying to pluck up the courage to talk publicly about the evil Greg W?

What does the W stand for? No, don't answer...

I read comics, Link, and I even write 'em - I'm clearly an only child.

Colin YNWA

Well the topo 50 countdown has begun. Check it out here.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2015/04/01/50-greatest-daredevil-stories-50-41/

Two of mine (a little disappointingly) have appeared already. Both American Dream and Daredevil in Hell were in my top 5. Still good to see them getting some credit.

Colin YNWA

Colin YNWA

Here's the masterlist for the countdown, including the top ten and the predictable top 3.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2015/04/12/50-greatest-daredevil-stories-master-list/

If you ever needed any evidence of why Daredevil is probably the best written long term mainstream superhero comic there's ever been (wellWally aside) here it is. Remember as well I say this having not been too impressed with how well Frank Miller's first run has stood the test of time when last I read it AND I've never been a fan of The Man Without Fear (I do adore Born Again)

Link Prime

Some great Daredevil deals on ComiXology today, including Millers run and various other collected editions.
Just picked up 'Born Again' for €5.

Colin YNWA

Well its well timed, if a little predictable. All this DD talk has made decide to revisit the Miller run (original) again. I used to own the comics, sold them in my big purge of 2002/3, then bought them again in the Omnibus, but didn't really enjoy them as much as I remember doing and hated the format (don't like omnibussessesseessi, too cumbersome to make reading fun) so sold that. Been meaning to find a cheap way to pick them up again in case I really didn't enjoy them anymore AND this is it. Perfect. All the available original run purchased (up to 184 and lets face it it goes a little down hill after than) for 12 quid and change.

Thanks for the heads up. Nervous wait now for these to get to the top of my reading spreadsheet.

Link Prime

I hope you opted for the 1st Miller digital 'collection' and not the single issues Colin.
The former was only €4.99 (including two Spectacular Spider-Man issues by Miller & Daredevil issues 158- 172) the latter would have cost you €0.99 per comic!

I went back yesterday evening to pick up The Man Without Fear also, couldn't resist it.
A pitch perfect origin story by Miller, and some of JRJR's best ever work.
I really enjoyed revisiting it.

Colin YNWA

Oh I did. Got the collection which took me up to 172 for the crazy price of £2.99 and then topped the singles from the second collection which didn't seem to be on offer as a collection, for 69p each?

Alas it looks like they haven't got around to digitising the final collection or the individual issues there in yet.

Link Prime

Good stuff Colin.

Yep, there are still plenty of gaps in my Daredevil collection, physical and digital.
I'm ashamed to admit I didn't really pay much attention to Waids run, despite the almost universal praise.
I'll have to remedy that.

JamesC

I'm always banging on about the value of Panini's Pocket Book editions but they've just started to reprint Frank Miller's Daredevil run. The first book 'Marked for Murder' has just been released. It's 176 pages, full colour, for £6.99.
A nice affordable way to read the stories.

Colin YNWA

Well I just won't let this thread lay down and die will I, seems fitting though. Mind if anyone has kept up with this thread they'll know just how big a thing I'm about to say is. See next time there's one of those CSBG top DD stories votes I've got a new entry in my top 10 and there are a LOAD of unbelievibly good Daredevil stories out there. BUT just read Lee Weeks 3 part 'Angel Unaware' from the Daredevil: Dark Knights mini-series (the collection of which has just made the top of my reading list) BLOODY HELL that's near perfect DD.

Lee Weeks has always been a very underrated artist, loved this actual run on Daredevil back in the day, but the story is something else. Its in many ways the quintessential summary of DD, what makes him a great character and how the world he inhabits forms that. Its a glorious combination of the best meladrama that Marvel does so well, ground down quite gloriously by the downbeat, grim and gritty quality that serves much of the best DD so well. Its really quite something.

Well it must be if its kicking something out of my already crowded DD top ten (well a top ten can't be crowded actually can it, should have said keenly contested but didn't, ho-hum, one day someone will invent something that lets you edit things you type of the internet... hey what does this key do top lef

Citi-Def_Joe

I am/was a big Daredevil fan but havent read anything since the end of Bendis's run (10 years ago) would like to pick up some TPBs, so recommendations gratefully received likewise the Punisher of which I have read nothing post Ennis.