Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whats everyone reading?  (Read 422332 times)

Rara Avis

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
Re: Whats everyone reading?
« Reply #6285 on: 26 October, 2017, 06:26:08 pm »
Thank you Mardroid.

Now that you mention him, I have been wanting to re-read 'Ghost Story' by Peter Straub

Smith

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: 04 November, 2017, 09:27:03 am »
DC Universe by Alan Moore.Its nice to have it in one place,but its a bit of a mixed bag,and for obvious reasons doesn't include Killing Joke.
To summarize,Superman stories are great,GL are pretty good;GA,Vigilante and Omega Men are average,and Wildstorm stuff is pretty weak.

Theblazeuk

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: 06 November, 2017, 01:08:03 pm »
Conversely I couldn't penetrate The Dark Tower and much preferred the dark, surreal brevity of The Gunslinger

I dusted off Sonic The Comic.So many memories.  :)

I reread all mine about 5 years ago. Was great! Odd to see some now-famous names in there (Mark Millar) and some legends in their own time like Brendan (drawing Decap Attack). Like a mini-prog in many ways with stories like Eternal Champions or Kid Chameleon, including some really dark stuff where you might not expect it.

Dark Jimbo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Grobbendonk spoke gibberish, a fringeworld dialect
    • View Profile
    • DarkJimbo on Deviantart
« Reply #6288 on: 06 November, 2017, 02:46:55 pm »
I dusted off Sonic The Comic.So many memories.  :)

I reread all mine about 5 years ago. Was great! Odd to see some now-famous names in there (Mark Millar) and some legends in their own time like Brendan (drawing Decap Attack).
[/quote]

Decap Attack was only ever McMahon and Nigel Kitching. Very much prog-like all round though, innit? Suppose that's only natural when it was made by so many prog alumni...

Smith

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: 06 November, 2017, 02:52:27 pm »
Well,Megadroid used to be Tharg.Actually,several of them.

Smith

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: 10 November, 2017, 06:43:33 am »
This is the second time I read Quantum and Woody omnibus,and I still have no idea what the hell is going on.Series sequel is even worst in that regard.
One of the "deleted scenes" is Quantum and Woody trying to kill Mark Waid by dropping Kurt Busiek on him.:D

Apestrife

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: 14 November, 2017, 10:22:03 am »
100Bullets and it's spin off Brother Lono by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso.

A story I feel I could and should read more often. I'm often reminded of some hard earned truths by it. While I remember most of the story the way it's structured makes the story's twists and turns feel like a great part of a song. It never feels old.

Agent Graves walks up to people who's lives been ruined and offers them an attache with a gun, 100bullets, evidence against the one or ones who ruined this person's life as well as a guarantee that if the gun is used then no law enforcement can touch them. It sounds easy on the paper, but it's far far from. Slowly the story on how and why these revenge attaches are handed out also starts to show.

While 100 bullets is deeply cynical and pulpy, it's also full of heart. People can do some unbelievable despicable things in this story, but you can still feel for them. Which I think is due to how believable the characters feel. No matter how outlandish the plot, or that characters tend to speak in constant wordplay, it feels like there's something actual that drives these people.

Apestrife

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: 14 November, 2017, 10:42:39 am »
Does androids dream of electric sheep by Philip K. Dick

Been 20 or so years since I last read this one. Picked it up after the watching 2049. While I like story in Blade runner 2019 and 2049 better, I still really liked the book. Especially the bits with the animals. A thread I wouldn't mind a possible future Blade Runner movie picking up on. Also mercerism.

I'm aching to read this one again by just writing about it :) But first I'll read a scanner darkly and Man in the high castle.

Btw. Anyone read Philip's The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch? I've seen in book shops. Any good?

O Lucky Stevie!

• Evil Cyborg
  • Walks like an Eloi. Talks like a Morlock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: 17 November, 2017, 05:59:24 am »
Btw. Anyone read Philip's The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch? I've seen in book shops. Any good?

It was so good that the esteemed Paul Di Filippo paid tribute to it in the Top 10 series that he wrote for America's Best Comics. Recommended.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

• Evil Cyborg
  • Walks like an Eloi. Talks like a Morlock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: 17 November, 2017, 06:12:56 am »
Whilst we are on the subject of PKD, Stevie's personal favourite would be have to be Dr Bloodmoney.

Has anyone here had the courage to tackle this 1000 page housebrick selections compiled by Jonathan Lethem from PKD"s private journal documenting and exploring his religious & visionary experiences yet?

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Andrew Williamson

• New Arrival
  • Never Nude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: 20 November, 2017, 11:50:41 am »
Does androids dream of electric sheep by Philip K. Dick

Been 20 or so years since I last read this one. Picked it up after the watching 2049. While I like story in Blade runner 2019 and 2049 better, I still really liked the book. Especially the bits with the animals. A thread I wouldn't mind a possible future Blade Runner movie picking up on. Also mercerism.

I'm aching to read this one again by just writing about it :) But first I'll read a scanner darkly and Man in the high castle.

I read Do Androids? just before the movie came out, so 35 years for me. The things that I remember most are the bits with the animals (as you mention), and the concept of kipple - the worthless rubbish lying around in drawers that seems to multply when you're not looking. Trust me, it's real!

I recently promised myself more PKD, and so far I've read Man in the High Castle and Martian Time-Slip, both of which I enjoyed immensely. I quite fancy The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch next.

von Boom

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: 22 November, 2017, 06:50:29 pm »
The View From The Cheap Seats. A collection of Neil Gaiman's essays, introductions, and speeches. Extremely interesting reading.