Main Menu

Pin-ups - KevLev

Started by Kev Levell, 10 August, 2009, 09:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev Levell

Here are a selection of pin-ups I've done. All conventional wisdom says don't show pin-ups as editors aren't interested, mainly because they won't hire you to do covers... well, it's EXTREMELY unlikely anyway.

Creatively and as exercises for keeping your enthusiasm up, I think they're worthwhile doing from time-to-time. I think they're a great way to provide interesting variety in your portfolio also.
I'm not 100% sure about showing them to editors or not but I do think you can grab attention a little bit with them.

Again, entering into the spirit of courting criticism. Something I submitted to a chap who prints (art) books containing lovely pictures by some pretty cool individuals. link

This second one was done as another 'cover' excercise and as a submission to a blog that I thought was kind of funny.

The next one, I've shown to Tharg and his comment was that there was something off in the foreshortening of the arms. Fair comment I think - I still think it's a pretty cool pin up and I'm not unhappy with it, but I can respect the criticism because I can kind of see what he means.

I was lucky enough to have received a bit of help on this one from PJ Holden who made some great modifications early on:

Quote...I've made a couple of MINOR mods to your dredd pic, which, I think, makes it slightly more '2000ad'

The first: I've increased the size of Dredd's left hand - foreshortening. It's a great pose - but needs a little more push!

The second: I've decreased the size of Dredds helmet... call it personal preference, if you like (and it probably is) but I think Dredd's helmet needs to appear as part and parcel of his head - so tightly fitted and snug that that chin and helmet are one unit.

for ref, this was the original sketch and the revised version:

...and I had some pretty enlightening crits from Dylan Teague too:

Quote"...overall I think it's a nice pic, good perspective nice colouring and solid drawing. The problem is, it just isn't Dredd, he's not powerful enough and even looks a bit vulnerable in this scene. It's not a case of his physique, though his head could maybe be a little smaller, its more down to his attitude and framing in the drawing. I think a lower angle would have helped so that he wasn't overpowered by the buildings, remember, it's Dredd - he has to dominate the pic!!"

Things there to be borne in mind - not only for pin-ups, but for strip work... I think certain inherent errors I've been making are clear from the comments made, and that made the pin-up all the more valuable to me as I have garnered some real insights into what Dredd is about, how he is viewed and the technical things I need to look out for. Within the confines of a strip where there are many other considerations - it's probably easier to overlook that which is staring you in the face!

locustsofdeath!

First of all kev-lev, I want to let you know you're a fantastic artist - but I'm sure you've heard that enough in this forum. I find it extremely difficult to critique art, as I can't doodle a straight line, but I know what I like and what appeals to me, and this work is very nice.

Pinup one is fantastic - the look on the girl's face is both sexy and menacing, and the pose is fantastic.

I have one minor quibble with pinup - and it's not due to your penwork but the digital coloring of Dredd. It's too clean, not gritty enough. But as this is the norm lately, I suppose you've got nothing to worry about. The problem is, when I look at your pencil lines from your roughs, I can see a lot of the individuality in your style that's lost by the digital color...but this is a complaint I have with most comics nowadays, so I wouldn;t mind if you dismiss it. That said, your Dredd is as good as anything in the Progs right now! I'm sure we'll see you there plenty of times in the future!

Leigh S

that link was good - at least, the caricature of Dan Auerbach was neat, and those Loomis books look very useful.  Those Loomis books could be a thread of their own really - why cant i absorb any of this good practice when I read these darn how to draw guides... I'm digressing....

The Dredd does look ace, but he does look a bit off, and i cant put my finger on it any better than Dylan and PJ (nor should I be able to, they can draw!).  The head looks a bit too small, or Dredd pads look a bit too big on his body, or his legs look a little short - something is making him lok a bit 'small'  - again, Dylans angle suggestion might put that right.  Otherwise, I think its pretty neat.

Dark Jimbo

I don't think it can be too long before we see you in the prog, Kev - I'd go as far as to say it's only a matter of time. Lovely, lovely stuff.
@jamesfeistdraws

mygrimmbrother

Yes Kev, stardom surely awaits! Make us proud, man  ;D

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Ya Kev, they are really lovely and you are continuing to improve. Fantastic.

COMMANDO FORCES

I agree, that is an excellent Dredd, but I think (military head on) that the stance is slightly off and this is due to his centre of gravity.
Lets take it as a given that the Lawgiver has no recoil at all. His body is just a tad too far back because of the bend in the right knee.
Try the stance and you will feel the pull in the left ankle as you bend your right knee and your torso lowers.

On drawing I know nothing, but I know what I like and I like this, well done KevLev.

Kerrin

Hello Kev, I've been loath to chip in on this due to my own paltry artistic skills when compared to yours.

The first two pin-ups are great, for some reason the girl in the first one reminds me of the manager woman from "The I.T Crowd", 'sprobably just me.  And Wonder Woman certainly is a buxom lass, mmmm buxom.

The Dredd, well I think it's brilliant. I love the finish you get on these pieces and the line work is so clean it reminds me (as someone else already mentioned somewhere) of Frank Quitely's stuff. I can see however what PJ and others mean about Dredd's presence, he doesn't intimidate quite how you'd expect him to. I think it's the size of his head and the shoulder pad (both could do with being smaller) together with the 'camera' angle that creates the impression that he's an average size guy, the size of the shoulder pad is also what's causing the left arm to look a bit off as well I reckon. The pose is good but in the wrong direction in my view, as there is no apparent target I think it would have worked better as a pin-up if Dredd was aiming those Lawgivers more at us. And one small point on the background, which I realise you didn't want to detract from the figure but that's a very tidy Mega City one he's stood in.

But that's about it, they are wonderful pieces of work and it really is just a matter of time before you're in the prog. Old Green Bonce would be mad (madder?) not to.

Well done Kev, all your hard work is definitely worth it.

Kev Levell

Thanks for the kind comments, suggestions and crits everyone - I'm thoroughly thrilled you all think so highly of my stuff and were willing to comment.
I did put a previous thread up with some sample strip work in for those of you who're interested. Having been so vocal in this part of the forum - I felt it only fair to submit my stuff for criticism.

Proudhuff

great stuff there K, I'm liking the wonder woman but I'm at that age,

I would just second what CF said, with the centre of gravity just off it makes the pose slightly 'unreal', also I think it would be more dramatic/involving if Dredd was aiming one gun either side of the viewer.

( and all this from a man who could draw water from a well)  ;D

DDT did a job on me

IAMTHESYSTEM

Super art. Keep posting man!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Noisybast

Loving the Wonder Woman. I'm off for a, erm, lie down now...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!