Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Ant-Man and the Wasp - really good fun.  I liked the family themes and smaller stakes than usual for a superhero movie, and I also liked the legacy themes going on in regards to the superhero mantles and it has not gone unnoticed at where this is playing out in the greater scheme of the MCU as founding members reach the end of their tenure and the depressing inevitability of a Black Widow movie slowly begins to crush my enthusiasm.
Liked Michael Pena's turn, though it just got me thinking of how he - like the charismatic Donald Glover - was so joyless in The Martian.  Larry Fish is usually good value, but like Walton Goggins seems a bit wasted, possibly inevitably in a piece with such great character work on display elsewhere.  The leads are terrific, even the de-aged stuff doesn't look half as duff as it usually does, though if I was an SFX guy I would totally have stitched Kirk Douglas' head on the young Hank Pym to see if anyone noticed and then pretended the original brief was confusingly communicated - this prank would have cost a mere 2-3 hundred thousand dollars and I am sure it would be taken in good spirit.

Tiplodocus

FAST AND FURIOUS 6

New drinking game, knock back a shot anybody in the film says the word "family".

Just kidding, you'd die.

Like Roger Moore as Bond, knows exactly how ludicrous it is and is all the better for it.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

broodblik

Mortal Engines, if you can look beyond the concept of giant cities then it is not to bad. The soundtrack is the best part of the movie.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 December, 2018, 08:31:41 PM
According to IMDB, he played him in the Roland Rat version!

I'm not mad about the Disney Christmas Carol (I'm watching it too!), but it's certainly a faithful adaptation. My go-to's are Muppets, Alastair Sims' and Patrick Stewart's ones, and of course Scrooged.

I really want to watch the Roland Rat version now.  I haven't seen the Patrick Stewart one, but I've heard him read the audiobook, and it was perfect.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Quote from: broodblik on 16 December, 2018, 03:23:41 AM
Mortal Engines, if you can look beyond the concept of giant cities then it is not to bad.

Giant cities isn't a particularly out there concept.

A Star Is Born - apparently the fourth remake of a film from the 1930s, and with its odd relationship with suicide and alcoholism, you can tell we're dealing with the product of a different age, modern setting or no.  A rambling and overlong film, it goes to lengths to avoid seeming like it's taking the piss out of its audience by substituting soft rock songs for country music and "tinnitus" for cancer, but this is basically a parody of the cliches of a country song about a good old boy what loves a woman and gets a dawg but is undone by his hard drinkin ways yee haw.  It pretty much hinges on death in the final act which is shot in an unintentionally funny way, as its central premise of a star on the wane is never adequately portrayed onscreen for my money, especially as the fall from grace is a central tenet of US country music narratives and you'd need to do something distinctive to make it seem like something other than a journeyman version of a well-worn tale, but we're just expected to buy that a character pissing themselves is somehow a step too far for an industry which regularly rehabilitates wife-beaters and even the odd murderer.
Ah but what do I know?  This has made like a quarter of a billion dollars by now.  It was alright, but I can't see myself revisiting it.

Paul faplad Finch

New Spider-Man. Was worried it would all be lost on me because I don't know any of the characters (other than PP, obviously) but within minutes I was hooked and the whole thing was just joyous from start to finish.

Probably my favourite Spider-Man film, if I'm honest, and good enough that I wanted to sing it's praises so badly I actually engaged with other humans in something more than grudging grunts. That's powerful movie making.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

TordelBack

That's the one, rat-fans!  There's some more Blessed early on and some pre-incident Leslie Ash at the mid-point, if that's your thing.  You'll need a fairly strong constitution unless you're judicious with the slider.

Apestrife

Agua hombre For me it was like seeing Star wars, Lord of the rings and Big trouble in little china at the same time. Big, campy weird fun. Had a blast watching it.

Jim_Campbell

Another thumbs-up for Water Thor here.

Easily the best DCEU movie that isn't Wonder Woman. It's as dumb as a box of rocks, but it looks terrific, coasts on Momoa's substantial charisma, and manages to be a lot of fun along the way. ‬Extra bonus points for action scenes where I actually knew what was going on.

If DC's first two 'universe' movies out of the gate had been Wonder Woman and this, they'd be having very different conversations in the executive boardroom right now.

(Although: please insert obligatory comment about muddled, noisy, over-CGI-ed final act here.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Apestrife

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 December, 2018, 07:16:08 PM
(Although: please insert obligatory comment about muddled, noisy, over-CGI-ed final act here.)

Thought it was a bit much at first, but then I saw [spoiler]Arthur enjoying himself riding in on a gigantuous sea food while commading fishes.[/spoiler] Couldn't help but to enjoy it. He earned it, especially with the abitility of his not always seen in a positive light.

Another thing was after [spoiler]defeating his brother Orm[/spoiler] and [spoiler]telling him "when this is over. We'll talk."[/spoiler]. I thought that was quite nice. Especially [spoiler]after having told him why he wanted to meet his little brother.[/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

(Nu)Ghostbusters what was on the telly last night and I recorded... and was okay I guess.

I mean it wasn't the shot for shot remake that the trailer made me fear it was going to be, but then it did try a little too hard with the references, cameos etc. It was all a bit Force Awakens at points - though loved Dan Ackroyd's bit.

There was some genuinely great bits. Loved the 'Don't be the mayor from Jaws' bit. Thought the bits between Kristen Wiggs and Melissa McCarthy were great (though I must admit to being a bit in live with Wiggs). I though Chris Hemsworth was superb.

Or bits sucks... about the first hour to be honest and vast chunks didn't make a lick of sense. Also I think Kate McKinnon was trying to channel Bill Murray, I mean seriously don't even try that, no one can do Bill Murray like Bill Murray and I found her absolutely infuriating.

So over all it was watchable but I'm glad I didn't spend any money going to see it at the cinema or buying it on DVD, which I almost did a few weeks ago. Oh still better than Ghostbusters II!

TordelBack

Mmmm, to my surprise my kids were very impressed by the non-fatal resolution of Aquaman  Other than [spoiler]Manta's dad and the king of the mer-people[/spoiler], none of the characters died, heroes and villains alike (faceless extras galore, mind).  You'd know it wasn't a Disney! 

I've a high tolerance for stupid movies,  but I'm being hard on Aquaman because I feel it wasted too many opportunities to be good. The script was utterly dire and gave the cast hardly any chance to shine, and the world was poorly communicated,  despite the obvious buckets of effort that went into creating it. It's not good when I'm almost dozing off during action sequences.

All that said,  there's no doubt it's at least as good as Justice League, which puts it in joint 2nd place as far as DC movies go.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Sabata

Lee Van Cleef once again rides out into the wild untamed western frontier, this time as a bounty hunter heavily invested in the conspiracy surrounding a bank robbery. Standard western fare elevated by a lovely sense of world building and a top tier cast for the spagball western genre. Recommended for those interested in if Colnel Mortimer or Angeleyes ever got their own movie.