Main Menu

'The End' of 'the Ballad of Halo Jones'- according to Alan Moore

Started by JOE SOAP, 17 March, 2011, 11:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

I think you have read me wrong.

QuoteThe gravity on Moab is just a way to provide a physical representation of Halo's time not being her own.

I never said it didn't, or disputed that, if you see my original post. Moab is till an inversion of the Planetoid.

Quote from: Jedit on 19 March, 2011, 09:26:54 AMYou're suggesting that Moore is using gravity as a metaphor for control, but it's actually time that is the metaphor.

...but It's the same thing since time/gravity can be considered part of the same force in Einstein three dimensional space -mass of one effects the other- the planetoid's altered gravity effect, and therefore time, it's place at universe edge is different -an inversion- to that of Moab's creating the inverted 'time' of 'immortality' she didn't have on Moab. Jones is the invariable in the equation, she's never free no matter what the situation which is an inversion of Moab at the end.

It's similar to Vernor Vinge's Zones of Thought concept of the universe where the farther you go out, the less dense the universe is, physics and thought become altered which leads back to...

...my original post and that I implied Halo's need to escape was there no matter what physical effects of of her situation, time distortions caused by gravity/universal mass she experienced  on both planets etc:
Quotethe 'ending' suggests an inversion of book three where 'Moab' has a massively dense gravity that distorted and compressed time whereas here -at the edge of the universe where there is less matter and density than at the centre I presume- Moore is suggesting that there is less pull and opression to weigh on the mind and body making it free-er, clarifying the need for Halo to fly into oblivion.

Her situation is different at both points but she responds in the same manner, the time/gravity situation was different to that of Moab, an inversion, to which she reacted to as Halo always does. My point still stands.

Emperor

Didn't Garth Ennis get the rights to some stories back in return for writing Helter Skelter? I mean if he wanted to finish it there must be some kind of rights deal that could be struck, so that everyone is happy, including us readers. ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JOE SOAP

I'm sure if all involved truly wanted it to happen, it would.

Jared Katooie

JOE SOAP

Jedit

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 March, 2011, 10:44:28 AM
I think you have read me wrong.

I quite possibly have.  But as we've reached the point where each of us is saying "No, no - you're agreeing with me wrong!", I think we can safely leave it.  :D

JOE SOAP

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 March, 2011, 04:17:54 PM
I'm sure if all involved truly wanted it to happen, it would.

Indeed. I rather think people miss the point of Alan's "give me the rights back" demand. I don't believe for a second that he's interested in writing any more Halo Jones.

I get the impression that he got tired of periodic phone calls from 2000AD-editor-du-jour asking what they'd have to do to get him to work for them again, and so responded with a demand ("all the rights to everything I ever wrote for you") that he knew perfectly well they would could never agree to.

It'll never happen. Let it go.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.