Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Oh my god - Elite Dangerous. PS4 version.

Such a steep learning curve, but this is the most amazing game ever, and is sucking up hours of my life daily.

Exploring, trading, bounty hunting, public transport, piracy, civil wars, factions...

Now with added Thargoids! (Though I haven't seen any yet)

I've been raking the cash in with my new purchase - the Vulture, specifically designed for ship to ship combat. I've got an 'allied' status in one system purely by accepting the station's pirate hunting requests, wiping out SHITLOADS of pirates, claiming their bounties, plus the additional reward from the station for helping keep systems clear of the pests! I'm minted!! LOADSA CREDITS!!!

My partner aptly named my new ship for me - the PEWPEWPEW!  :D

I am getting sooo much mileage out of this game.

Keef Monkey

Just finished a playthrough of Dishonored 2 and loved it. I enjoyed the first one a fair bit but didn't love it, so was pleasantly surprised at how fantastic this one was (especially as the last thing I played from the same studio, Prey, really rubbed me up the wrong way).

Gorgeous art direction, really beautifully arranged levels to stealth through, really interesting and useful powers and tools and alternate paths and approaches, plus decent enough combat mechanics that if you do get into a bad situation you can adapt and deal with it (always my preferred way of playing stealthy games the first time through). It pulls a bit of a Deus Ex:HR at the last minute by throwing in something that felt a bit too much like a traditional boss fight for my liking, but was a small gripe after about 12hrs of thorough enjoyment.

Would definitely go back and play through it again, I went non-lethal with all targets except one and finished on Low Chaos, so might be fun to play through as a bit more of a ruthless killer.

Fantastic game.

Dr Feeley Good

Will have to get on it,got it sat on my shelf still in the cellophane...really liked the first one..

Sandman1

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 05 October, 2017, 09:53:04 AM
Just finished a playthrough of Dishonored 2 and loved it. I enjoyed the first one a fair bit but didn't love it, so was pleasantly surprised at how fantastic this one was.

Gorgeous art direction, really beautifully arranged levels to stealth through, really interesting and useful powers and tools and alternate paths and approaches, plus decent enough combat mechanics that if you do get into a bad situation you can adapt and deal with it (always my preferred way of playing stealthy games the first time through).

A good synopsis of the game, especially about the phenomenal design and the flexible gameplay. If you like the Dishonored series, you should try the stand-alone expansion Death of the Outsider. The only really negative aspect with this expansion is its reuse of certain levels; and maybe the limited use of the fellow comrade-in-arms Daud. I really like the stealth-action genre and the overall lore in Dishonored, so I'm hoping for a third game in the series—preferably in Tyvia.   
Error...

Keef Monkey

I picked up Death of The Outsider but haven't got round to giving it a go yet, good to hear it's enjoyable. I do love the world they've set up and would definitely like to see more games. The graphic novel was very good too, and captured the atmosphere of the games really well I thought.

Keef Monkey

Finished a load of games during the recent SKSP marathon, so got a few to leave my thoughts on!

Flashback - There was a remake of this a few years back and there's an option to play through the original and I'm not sure if I ever finished it back in the day (I loved it but it was so damn hard). It's not ideal - the licensing for the music has expired so there's no music at all (which is really sad) and it's played in a little faux arcade cabinet instead of full-screen, but it was the best way I could get it played. I remember most of the early stuff vividly but I either never got to the later stages before or chose to forget how tough they are, because damn, I got stuck a couple of times. There's a particular enemy type late on who I never really mastered fighting so whenever they popped up it was a real slog, and there are a couple of situations that need quite obtuse solutions that I just didn't think of. Ashamed to say I had to look up a guide a couple of times to check the game hadn't broken on me or something. Always disappointing when you need to turn to YouTube for help but old games can really throw a brick wall in front of you sometimes. Overall, aside from some sections that really had me swearing, I loved it and still appreciated what a classic it is.

Portal - Had played this before, but not in years, so good to see it still holds up brilliantly. A fantastic game, only downside is that Portal 2 seemed to really nail the movement a bit better so it can feel a bit odd going back. Still pretty much a perfect game.

Prince of Persia Classic - As far as I could tell, this is the original old-school PoP but with the graphics and sound re-skinned to match the Sands of Time series. The platforming is still wonderful fun, really fluid and satisfying, but the combat was a total mystery to me. It took me about 4hrs to beat it (a far cry from the 1hr time limit that gets you the good ending) and in all that time I never once got a feel for how to reliably hit enemies or not be hit by them. Made every fight a total slog, and had me very, very annoyed.

Little Nightmares - This comes off a lot like Inside or Limbo (and is a similar 4hrs-ish length) and I absolutely loved it. LOVED it. Really satisfying puzzles, a really great distinctive art style that's got a bit of a stop-motion feel to it, and just as I was flagging during the marathon I started this and it revived me a bit. Those 4hrs flew by! There are a couple of fussy/fiddly platform sections where I died through (what I felt was) no fault of my own, but apart from that small quibble this is a real instant classic for me.

Condemned - An old favourite that I wheeled out for another playthrough to pass another few hours. It looks a bit rough in places but other than that it still holds up, still really visceral and intense, even if the story is absolutely barmy.

Virginia - Kind of an interactive movie, and cut like one (there are really cinematic scene transitions that I really liked). The story essentially plays out as you push through it by walking or interacting with objects (it's a bit like that really short PC game Fifty Flights of Loving, at least that's my closest reference point - it's not a million miles away from something like Dear Esther either), there's no dialogue so the story is totally expressed through the animations and the music. I loved it and was really engrossed in it, but have to admit (possibly due to lack of sleep at this point) the story lost me a bit. As it's fairly short and structured like a film though (it took about 90mins for a full playthrough) I can see it being one I put on again at some point.

Don't Knock Twice - A videogame adaptation of a wee horror film I watched quite recently and found surprisingly creepy. The game on the other hand is a bit of a turkey. It's clearly been thrown together on the cheap and is going for that PT/Layers of Fear kind of dread, but just doesn't land it. I did have some creeping apprehension early on, and one jump scare got me good, but a lot of the scripted scares were poorly staged (I was looking in the wrong direction for most of them so just heard some music and missed what had happened) and it's technically very messy - 4 or 5 times I got stuck and had to check a walkthrough, and every time it turned out I'd done the right thing, but that the game just hadn't progressed. Had to back out to the main menu and reload my save to get things moving again. Disappointing, I quite liked that film.

Dying Light: The Following - Played through this in co-op and was fantastic. Main game took a while to click with me, and teaming up with a friend was what eventually got me into it, and this is the same brilliant co-op fun. Had such a good laugh playing through it, and the addition of driveable cars made for much shenanigans. Dying Light is great, more please!

Sandman1

I just want to mention that J. Dredd is referenced in Watch Dogs 2 during the mission Hacker War. The discussion refers to the tussle between Dredd and the Xenomorphs. It's pretty amusing. 
Error...

DrRocka

The Stranger Things game on my iphone! I don't care what you think of mobile gaming, download this immediately on whatever phone or tablet you have and enjoy. It's ACE - pretty much a SNES Zelda with a Stranger Things skin on it. Barely put it down all day.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Smith

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.Grud bless GoG.

jacob g

DLC for Horizon Zero Dawn is tons of fun but only if you enjoyed basic game.

Most of the Frozen Wilds are just more HZD with small updates in skills, face animations, weapons, nothing big. But on the other hand first encounters with new few machines feels like full blown boss fights and I appreciate that.

If you liked HZD buy Frozen Wilds, but if HZD is not your cup of tea don't bother.
margaritas ante porcos

Keef Monkey

I Am Alive - It was one of the very early Games With Gold freebies so figured I'd give it a go. Really enjoyed it. It's very janky and extremely rough around the edges, but it does some interesting things with the enemy encounters and climbing mechanics - climbing or dangling from things is tied to your stamina meter so it's genuinely tense trying to get to each rest spot before you fall. Meeting any hostiles turns into a sort of puzzle game too. You can aim your gun at people to get them to back off even if you've no bullets in it, but if you're outnumbered they may get wise to it and try their luck, plus you can put your hands up and let them approach you (which lets you get a cheeky surprise knife kill in once they're close enough) so it becomes a little puzzle of trying to eliminate the biggest threats first (often I'd get rid of 2 out of 3 enemies, have no ammo left but pointing it at the 3rd was enough to get him to surrender at that point).

Made for some pretty interesting scenarios, and very different. It reminds me a lot of later games like The Last of Us, but where I really disliked the gameplay in that game, I found this a lot more interesting.

Not a classic, but at about 4hrs long it was interesting enough to be worth my time.

Keef Monkey

Played through The Banner Saga 2 this week and loved it. Really enjoyed the first game, with my one gripe being that I scraped through every fight until I reached the last battle and the difficulty spiked so hard I had to eventually switch it down to Easy just to stand a chance (something which I rarely do and which always sours the end of a game for me). There were a couple of tough battles in this but nothing as spikey as that, so I enjoyed it throughout.

Also, the art style is absolutely gorgeous. I played the first game on my phone and the second on my telly, and it's a style that looks beautiful on both.

Keef Monkey

Just finished Outlast 2, and have to say I found it a massive, irritating slog. Enjoyed the first one enough, even found it really creepy and scary in places. It was flawed, but I was pretty forgiving of the wrinkles because it felt like a spiritual successor to things like Condemned which I loved.

This though...urgh. It actually does some quite interesting things storywise, and there's a bit of decent intrigue that made me want to soldier on and see how things panned out, but the gameplay and the design of the layouts and encounters is just no good. You very rarely have any clear indication of where you can go or should be going, which in a game where the bulk of the gameplay is running blind away from things chasing you makes for a really irritating experience. With a couple of pretty decent exceptions, every chase just turned into me running into a corner or a dead end and just having to stand and let things kill me so I could try it again. That kind of trial and error makes for a game that's far too frustrating to be scary.

There are a couple of cornfield sections where you're expected to crouch and sneak through a cornfield being patrolled by bad eggs, but without any indication of where you're actually aiming to wind up I just went in circles for ages until I got spotted and blindly ran around, hoping that on an eventual attempt I wound up facing the right way. The stealth is really poorly concieved too - I lost track of the amount of times I'd hide in a barrell or under a bed without being spotted, then the enemy would just walk up to my hiding place and stand there staring at it. I'd wait 10mins for an opening to leave and never get one, so just had to step out and let them kill me to try again. Urgh.

Was playing on XB1X though, so it was 4K and 60fps and ran really nicely, I just wish the gameplay had been more enjoyable.

Keef Monkey

Me again! Trying to burn through a lot of my pile of shame at the moment, so blitzing through a few games. Played through Flashback (the remake for the 360) and it was a lot more enjoyable than the reception it got lead me to believe. It's definitely super unpolished and very, very janky and in a couple of places feels quite broken (there was one glitchy elevator that caused me a lot of problems), but I think my fondness for the original and the novelty of seeing the same level layouts with a different graphical skin carried me through. Not a great game by any means, but glad I played it and enjoyed it for the most part.

Other than that been getting back into the Gears 4 multiplayer, just because it looks and sounds so damn good on the X with Atmos.

Theblazeuk

They ever do Fade To Black, AKA 100+ FMVs of murder?

Playing FTL on my commute. Addictive!