Main Menu

Dredd Soundtrack - Official

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 24 August, 2012, 08:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR. ELIMINATOR

Absolutely love it! They all stand up really well on their own just as songs. Can't wait to hear them while watching Dredd execute perps.

COMMANDO FORCES

Unlike many films nowadays I didn't feel the soundtrack to be intrusive. I wonder if anyone else agrees with me, or did I just shut it out!

Saying that, I'm listening to the soundtrack now and I can place certain bits of it!

CYCLOPZ

[spoiler]Not intrusive at all, the soundtrack is distinctive and noticeable in a good  way. Some real thought has been put into how it marries with the images in the film.[/spoiler]

CraveNoir

radiator

Yup, 'tis on iTunes right now, priced £7.99.

I wasn't sure when I first heard the soundtrack. I thought it sounded a little dated, a blend of ragged guitars and glitchy electronica, like something that would have been cutting edge ten or fifteen years ago. But it has certainly grown on me. Initially I preferred DROKK, which is stark, bold, weird and has a curious freshness to it - but is probably a little obtuse for a big film, whereas Leonard-Morgan's soundtrack is a bit more conventional. It works brilliantly in the film, though - I've had that main motif (Mega-City One/Order in the Chaos) lodged in my head for the last three days, but can't stop listening to it.

NOW ALL BUY.

JOE SOAP

I love the main themes in the film (She's a Pass, Mega City One) that have the distorted bass-lines, reverby drums and high-pitched modulated synths - like a Rhodes piano put through ring-modulation . It really does sound like an updated grungy soundtrack by 70's Lalo Shifrin which of course is apt.

Only stuff I don't care for are the tracks with the stacatto power chords but all the synthi stuff works well in contrast with the heavy Schifrin-style stuff.

I think many of the DROKK pieces are actually too mild as backing tracks for some of the scenes they were intended for (indicated by their titles). While I liked the sound of them they're not dominant or heavy enough as themes in the way Carpenter's self-penned dittys functioned, which is why I think they may not have been used.

radiator

radiator

QuoteI think many of the DROKK pieces are actually too mild as backing tracks for some of the scenes they were intended for (indicated by their titles). While I liked the sound of them they're not dominant or heavy enough as themes in the way Carpenter's self-penned dittys functioned, which is why I think they may not have been used.

Worth pointing out that while DROKK started out as a soundtrack project, it probably evolved into something quite different.

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

klute

loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

CraveNoir

http://www.banterbanter.net/music-news/2012/08/dredd-official-soundtrack-scored-paul-leonard-morgan/

"From a music point of view, I wanted to create a sound which fitted a future set in 100 years time, so traditional orchestra was out of the question. I started off doing some band-based stuff, but it felt too safe and overly-produced, so I ended up going down a really electronic vibe – taking all my 80's synths and present day sound modules, creating some really screwed up sounds and putting them through countless distortion and fx pedals. I was looking to create a timeless score which couldn't be placed in any particular era. So it's ended up being a cross between a modern dance track and evocative soundscapes."

He also mentions using Paul, the time-stretching app.

CYCLOPZ

http://investcomics.com/comics-and-cinema/investcomics-interview-with-dredd-3d-composer-paul-leonard-morgan

Paul  Leonard Morgan speaks about his entire career and Dredd. He speaks about Dredd about 3/4 of the way in.

Beeks

Question..never thought about this before..but does a soundtrack CD add to the gross of a film? Or is it strictly box office?

If it does I'll buy..if not..I won't..never bought a soundtrack in my life
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

JOE SOAP

The Sherman Kid

Question for you Joe- Does the extra money they charge for a 3D ticket go to the film makers or is it swallowed up by the Cinema showing it for presenting a 3D film? Thanks.