Main Menu

2000AD Sci-Fi Swipe File

Started by ming, 30 October, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy_Lee

Quote from: Albion on 13 November, 2017, 07:57:12 AM
Published in the same year as the Terra-Meks story in Ro-Busters.
Cover by Angus McKie

Didn't Angus share a studio with Dave Gibbons? Might be a bit of Ro-Busters in there as well.

ming

Quote from: Albion on 13 November, 2017, 07:57:12 AM
Published in the same year as the Terra-Meks story in Ro-Busters.
Cover by Angus McKie

Already spotted - see Page 11 of this thread. The original link to the image from Omni #1 is dead though so if someone wants to look into that...  :)

Quote from: Spikes on 06 August, 2014, 05:44:02 PM
Quote from: Gypsum on 06 August, 2014, 02:54:37 PM
Thinking about that picture, I'm not sure which came first. Was it swiped or the swiper?

Any takers?

Is the artist for that painting Angus McKie?
I had thought it had been used in one of the TTA books, but on digging the books out, its not the same, but does share some similarities. (The TTA book is from '79, btw.)

TTA was famous for using images that had been around for a good few years previous, so unless it was commissioned directly for use in that issue of Omni, its kinda hard to date - well, without an artists name, etc..

Dash Decent

My kids have this drawing book:

It's not all original work.  You can see where it gets some of its inspiration from.

I was amazed to see this "Space Robot"!

Having seen Mr H in the book, it was then pretty obvious what inspired "Space Warrior".  Just look at that helmet for a start!

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Not a swipe, more a homage.  The cover to Leviathan is obviously inspired by the poster for the SS Normandie (has this appeared in the preceding 23 pages of this thread?)
Xerox: 50 posters that rocked the world

james newell

james newell

Dont know if this was just an Irish think, but I do remember this Chrisp packet knocking around in the 80's:

Captain Chrisp

maybe David for http://hiberniabook.blogspot.ie/ might have some insight?

JOE SOAP

james newell

Class!, thanks Joe, for the insight.

JayzusB.Christ

Feck! My brother and I used to have a Captain Crisps poster on our bedroom wall.  His arch enemies were Hyprum and Krispos, if I remember rightly.

Also, you've just reminded me of how he used to tote packets of Captain Crisps crisps on his belt, presumably showing a picture of himself toting packets of Captain Crisps crisps on his belt, continuing into infinity.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

That's called the Droste Effect, I think - after the nurse/nun on the Droste cocoa powder.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 February, 2018, 12:20:19 PM
Feck! My brother and I used to have a Captain Crisps poster on our bedroom wall.  His arch enemies were Hyprum and Krispos, if I remember rightly.

Which one of those is the Judge Death analogue?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sheridan on 09 February, 2018, 09:39:11 PM
Which one of those is the Judge Death analogue?

More like The Starborn Thing/General Blood 'n' Nuts

http://ifiplayer.ie/captain-crisps/

JOE SOAP

Tjm86

Reckon you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that Look and Learn swiped that cover there Joe.   ::)

JOE SOAP

Never heard of the thousand-year-stare?