Main Menu

Preacher (TV Series)...

Started by Goaty, 18 November, 2013, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

As years ago there was talks about productions on Preacher of the comic, it failed, so after The Walking Dead, it might happens, thanks to Seth Rogen.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/seth-rogen-hints-hes-turning-preacher-into-a-tv-series

Seth Rogen could be about to bring comic book series Preacher to life as a TV show on AMC, the network responsible for other horror comic adaptation The Walking Dead.

Badass Digest report that the network, which is clearly looking to plug a gap after the end of Breaking Bad, has commissioned a pilot episode based on Garth Ennis' gory comic series.

And AMC has apparently nabbed one of the comic's biggest fans to make sure it's done right, with Rogen reportedly on board as a producer.

"Looks like about seven of years of hard work are about to pay off. I may get to bring one of my favourite stories ever to life," Rogen tweeted on Saturday, before dropping a massive hint about which story he was talking about by listing some very familiar names...

An adaptation of the Vertigo comics series has long been on the cards, with James Marsden once cast in a defunct movie adap as Jesse Custer, a priest who acquires great power after getting possessed by a demon.

After that, HBO commissioned Ghost Rider's Mark Steven Johnson and Howard Deutch to produce a TV pilot that would have turned each issue of Preacher into a single episode.

With every attempt to bring Preacher to life having failed thus far, we can't help but approach this news with a little cynicism.

Given AMC's track record with daring TV projects, though, we're feeling pretty positive that if a Preacher series does get greenlit, it'll stay true to Ennis' brilliantly ballsy series.

Let the casting rumours commence...

Jim_Campbell

That's interesting, in light of Brian Wood commenting that Vertigo and/or Warner had actively spiked approaches by AMC to develop DMZ as a TV series.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

If it came off, I'm curious how it would work without the copious amounts of swearing. I seem to recall AMC are very light on swearing, (and nudity?) compared to the levels of violence.

gurnard

DMZ now that would be cool, but then Preacher would be pretty cool, though a little more grotesque of course.

JamesC

I love Preacher but I think it's very 'of it's time' and I think it suits the comic medium fine. No need for an adaptation in my opinion.
So many of the characters are so over the top it would be horrible in live action. Can you really imagine a live action Jesus DeSade, Meat Man or Herr Star? I cringe at the thought!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JamesC on 20 November, 2013, 01:15:59 PM
Can you really imagine a live action Jesus DeSade, Meat Man or Herr Star?

I can indeed. Garth and Steve's characters are very cinematic.

radiator

QuoteI love Preacher but I think it's very 'of it's time' and I think it suits the comic medium fine. No need for an adaptation in my opinion.
So many of the characters are so over the top it would be horrible in live action. Can you really imagine a live action Jesus DeSade, Meat Man or Herr Star? I cringe at the thought!

I'm inclined to agree. I have a lot of affection for Preacher, but it's incredibly juvenile and a little derivative - it's basically the worst excesses of Tarantino and Kevin Smith.

I honestly can't see it working as a TV show or film.

Tiplodocus

PREACHER in the style of INBETWEENERS might just work.  Any attempt to make it mature and proper gritty would be a disaster.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Recrewt

I think Preacher would convert well to screen seeing as it draws a lot from Westerns.  I always imagined screen to mean a movie rather than a TV series.  Still, TV has come a long way of late with things like the walking dead series. 

Swearing and violence can be toned down and wouldn't be too much of an issue.  The real problem will be the religious elements and I'm not sure American TV is ready for that yet.  Try removing it though and it really starts coming apart.

pictsy

I only read the Preacher stories that appeared in the Meg way back when.  I remember enjoying it, but in all those years I never sought out the trades to find out the conclusion.

I think it could work as TV program and it would be interesting if it was faithful adaptation.  I agree with Recrewt about the religious elements.  I would be surprised if they would dare to be faithful but if they do dare then I'd probably give it a go.

Goaty

Another update; Here on why it won't work as the movie.

It was recently announced that Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg would be the men to finally bring about a long-awaited Preacher adaptation, with the duo set to turn the cult comic-book into a television series.

And while many attempts have been made to bring the property to the big screen, Goldberg is adamant that television is the best medium through which to do the comic-book justice.

"We're beyond excited," says Goldberg. "We've tried to make it for 10 years. The big difference is everyone else tried to make it a movie and it shouldn't be a movie. It should be an AMC show, that's the proper way for it to get done."

"It's too big; you can't do that in a movie. It's just too big. You've gotta learn the characters. It's all about a love triangle and you need to grow with them and see the woman swayed one way or the other, and in a movie you just can't accomplish all that."

And as for the content of the show, Goldberg is keen to keep it as true to the comics as possible.

"We're gonna stay as true to the comic as we can. We need to change some stuff but we're not gonna change much, I hope. We're just gonna do a little more of the preamble instead of doing flashbacks and restructure how we dole out the information a little."

"But we're gonna [do the] same characters, same story, same ending.  We're gonna try to stick to Preacher as best we can." Amen to that.

Apestrife

Really cool that this and Hellblazer seems to be in the works. Gives me hope about DMZ and 100Bullets also hitting the screen one day.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Apestrife on 11 March, 2014, 06:31:20 AM
Gives me hope about DMZ and 100Bullets also hitting the screen one day.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope with DMZ — Brian Wood said in an interview last year that approaches from AMC had been rebuffed quite firmly by Warner, even though they showed no interest in developing it themselves.

Cheers

Jim

Jim_Campbell

I stand corrected! Interesting that this has changed since Vertigo was moved out of DC's direct chain of command...

Cheers

Jim