Main Menu

Meg 356 Rapid Response

Started by Skullmo, 17 January, 2015, 12:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

The Great

A wonderful cover from Alex Ronald . . . whoa deja vu from my 2000ad review . . ..

A new Ewing/Willsher Dredd gets off to a great start.

Reaper continues well (if you like it as I do, otherwise it continues badly). And it's great to see more from the amazing Fay Dalton!

The Good

Demarco is pretty good.

The Unsure of

Angelic is a new story from Rennie and Carter. I love the art in this but I found the story a bit disjointed. It jumped around in time with the last part taking place 'Five days ago' - I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be 5 days from the start of the story, 5 days from the two weeks ago, 5 days from the current Dredd timeline, 5 days from 17th Jan 2015 (alright I knew it wasn't this). Additionally, I like the idea of a [spoiler]Pa Angel[/spoiler] story, which I assume this is, but it seemed to mess with the back story [spoiler](Link not being his son)[/spoiler] without adding much. Hopefully my fears are unfounded and it will improve in coming weeks.

What I didn't like

The Johnny Nemo article. It did the thing I hate in articles which is to just tell you what happens in stories. It seemed to some kind of unsure advert with lines like 'whether readers enjoy Nemo or not will ultimately depend on their tolerance for humour' which made me think of one of those backhanded compliments that managers put on reviews of people they don't really like. Anyway, I just thought it was not my cup of tea at all. The book looks great though.

And . . .

The Floppy is Red Fang by Steve and Steve (Moore and Yeowell). I have not read this series before so that is nice. I will have a read of this later with a cup of Oolong tea and an organic ginger biscuit.

I am a bit concerned that Fleisher's Harlem Heroes part 1 is next week's floppy  :'( I would have preferred some mroe Finn, or Time House, or anything.

It's a joke. I was joking.

user2000

I posted on the prog thread about this, but I don't fancy the new paper stock.

Reading Demarco is pretty grim with the art and speech balloons leeching through from the other side of the page.

ZenArcade

So guys, who was bemoaning the lack of recent action covers: 'well you got one now', this and the prog cover are fantastic. Re the paper quality, I'm currently reading megs around 234 and I've got to say the binding was top quality back then, pity this fell by the wayside in later years (cost I guess... though the Meg ain't cheap). Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Ghost MacRoth

Seems I start the meg review exactly as I did for the prog by saying 'Another cracking cover from Alex Ronald'.

Dredd: Love Wilsher's style and choice of framing.  The script seems pretty god too, so hoping for a good run of this one.

Reaper: You can only point out the flaws of something so many times before you begin to bore even yourself, so I won't bother commenting further than saying I don't like it.

Reaper Files: Nice art, but other than that, see above.

Demarco: Keen to see where it's going.  Steve Yeowell's art while minimal (something I usually don't like) is always engaging.  But I agree that for a B&W strip like this, the new paper sucks balls.

Angelic: Really nice expansive artwork, immediately put me in mind of 'Fallout: New Vegas'.  Dialogue seems straight out of one of the harsher westerns, which I hope very much helps set the tone for how this will play out.  Normally I ain't too fussed by 'origins' tales, or re-visiting a popular character once they are dead, as you KNOW they can't possibly die....which kinda removes the tension.  This however could be fun, like a walk down memory lane, as indicated by the cameo from Faro.

Glad to see the features on artists and strips from other titles has been cut down to six pages.  Never been keen on that as I tend to buy comics for comic strips....not reviews.  Having said that, still more entertaining than the wasted 14 pages that follow it.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Bat King

I've reviewed the 'floppy' on my Blog. Not read the Meg yet as I have had a busy weekend (I'll read it on the bus tomorrow n review it tomorrow night probably).

I read Red Fang as I couldn't remember much of it and STEVE MOORE! If you read my review you'll know why (hint - it is because I loved his Absalom Daak in Dr who Weekly).
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Skullmo

Quote from: Bat King on 18 January, 2015, 08:50:03 PM
I've reviewed the 'floppy' on my Blog. Not read the Meg yet as I have had a busy weekend (I'll read it on the bus tomorrow n review it tomorrow night probably).

I read Red Fang as I couldn't remember much of it and STEVE MOORE! If you read my review you'll know why (hint - it is because I loved his Absalom Daak in Dr who Weekly).

Yeah - It's a great Floppy this month! This is why I love the floppy, for bringing us hidden gems
It's a joke. I was joking.

Spaceghost

Quote from: user2000 on 17 January, 2015, 01:07:55 PM
I posted on the prog thread about this, but I don't fancy the new paper stock.

Reading Demarco is pretty grim with the art and speech balloons leeching through from the other side of the page.

I agree. The new paper is shite. It's virtually transparent.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Skullmo on 17 January, 2015, 12:53:04 PMI am a bit concerned that Fleisher's Harlem Heroes part 1 is next week's floppy  :'( I would have preferred some mroe Finn, or Time House, or anything.
Oh, goof grief. I'd not gotten to Red Fang yet, so I'd forgotten about the dross about to be foisted on us next month. I guess it's not easy for Matt to find new things to reprint, given the lack of crossover with the trades, but I'd also prefer a follow-up to something better. I'm no fan of Finn, but that'd still be better than Harlem Heroes, and Armoured Gideon's stories beyond the first would be good to see in print again.

As for the Meg in general, I enjoyed this issue on the whole. DeMarco's interesting, Angelic's in set-up mode but nonetheless started well, and the Dredd was excellent. This month's text pieces I could take or leave, but I'm happy to have them (and prefer book overviews and creator interviews to prose 'comics' and the old movie reviews. The only downer was another chunk of Sexy Ostriches, but at least it'll all be over soon. (I also wonder how I might have preferred this had Dalton done the art. Langley's a talented chap, but this strip always feels so static; his ABC Warriors works a lot better, I think.)

JPMaybe

I think this is the post-DoC story we've all been waiting for;  I was really impressed by the psychological depth Ewing manages to bring out in Dredd.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Proudhuff

Quote from: JPMaybe on 19 January, 2015, 06:11:40 PM
I think this is the post-DoC story we've all been waiting for;  I was really impressed by the psychological depth Ewing manages to bring out in Dredd.

this ^
DDT did a job on me

Richard

I thought that this was a pretty good issue. I enjoyed the bonus Reaper story .

But Harlem Heroes?!! Scraping the barrel much? It's not as if they've run out of good strips to reprint.

ZenArcade

Can't wait till I get my miss on this and the prog tomorrow:2 Alex R covers and nothing but good reports. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Magnetica

Zen - you haven't seen the new paper yet.  :lol:

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!