Main Menu

The Wombles in Breakfast on Pluto

Started by Grant Goggans, 12 November, 2017, 03:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Help me, Hive Mind, Google is useless.

In the 2005 film Breakfast on Pluto, which is set in the mid-seventies, a character played by Cillian Murphy gets a job working at a Wombles-themed fun park.  Was this actually a real place in London?  Stranger things did happen in that decade - there was an HR Pufnstuf-themed fun park in Atlanta in 1976 - but I'd like to confirm that it was a real attraction and not just made up for the movie.

JamesC

I don't know for sure but I've certainly never heard of it.
To be honest, I think the idea of the theme park didn't really hit the UK until the early 80s.
I wouldn't be surprised if Wombles made appearances at Butlins and Pontins though.

Colin YNWA

Yeah never heard of it and given the family were fans back in the day suspect I would. Also if they did have something as significent as a theme park I doubt the internet would have hidden it away and it would be visible.

Dandontdare

I don't think it ever existed

side-note: my niece once rang her brother from university to settle an argument - "Wombles - they're real right?" - we've never let her forget it!

TordelBack

I vaguely remember Wombles being in attendance when we went to visit a Dr Who exhibition in Longleat in the mid/late 70s, but I imagine it was a temporary thing. They also terrified me - the bloody size of those things! The stuffed Orinocco my Mam made for me was (and is) much more the thing.

Grant Goggans

Ha!  When my youngest son was three years old, we took him to see characters from the PBS Kids spelling show Super Why, which he loved.  It didn't occur to me that the tiny characters from the screen would turn into these enormous, horrifying things looming over him.  He was petrified!

Thanks, everyone, I'll take it that the park was a figment of Neil Jordan's imagination.