Main Menu

Brett Ewins 1955-2015

Started by Molch-R, 17 February, 2015, 01:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Very sad news, condolences to his family.

Pete Wells

Tribute (with some stonking high res images) on my blog. A wonderful, wonderful talent...

Bat King

I already posted on the RIP thread not realising this was here.

Very sad news.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Frank

"In Richey (Edwards of Manic Street Preachers) favourite comic strip, Bad Company, the main character, Kano, is portrayed (in Richey's words) as 'Colonel Kurtz meets the Virgin Mary'"

from Everything: A Book About Manic Street Preachers by Simon Price, p.196

blackmocco

He hit a real high point for me with the Sector House 9 one and the first book of Bad Company. A great, instantly recognizable style and, especially with Bad Company, a masterful storyteller. Those panel reuses might have been off-putting to some but I loved the pacing and tension it created. I loved his version of Anderson too. What's the point of wearing a skintight leather one-piece if you can't have a little cheesecake fun drawing it? Anyway, a real, real shame. One of the artists I always associate with my favorite period of the comic so very sad to hear this.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

8-Ball

My first exposure to Brett's work was in Best of 2000AD Monthly number 53. I was only 11 at the time but Brett's art did inspire some sort of "awakening" in me. Rest in peace, Mr Ewins. :'(
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Butch on 17 February, 2015, 10:30:09 PM

[/center]

Of the many panels of his art I copied as a lad, that was one of my favourites.  A sad loss to the comic community, as well as his family and friends.  Terrible thing to read.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

shaolin_monkey

I've always loved Brett's stuff, and have shown his work to others at every opportunity.

Last year a punky gothy tattoo'd employee was leaving us. Her leaving present from me was a cut-out personalised Judge badge (one of Mr Carrols) with the words 'Congratulations on your induction into Wally Squad'.

I presented it alongside this, one of my favourite Ewins covers:

I've written a few words on his passing here:

https://2000ad.wordpress.com/2015/02/17/rip-brett-ewins-1955-2015/

Banners

Very sad. Many images of Dredd and Anderson that have been burnt into my memory banks since childhood were drawn by Brett, and Bad Company remains a firm favourite.

Jacqusie

That's so terribly sad to hear of Brett's passing today. Brett was my go to artist and I came to adore his work absolutely. Like many I fell in with Bad Co & his Anderson was the definitive in my book.

His legacy will live on with some outstanding art, the likes of which we'll never see again, he was a one off genius pushing the style and creativity of the genre. Following a turbulent chapter in his life, I hope he has found peace amongst the stars.

inkymonkey

I remember laboriously copying Brett's panels as a kid, in awe of that wonderful idiosyncratic style of his. Many fond memories. Thank you Brett.

amines2058

Like many others I posted in the R.I.P. thread first. All I can do is repeat my sentiments. Brett will be sorely missed. He was an icon and legend in the UK comics scene. Condolences to his family.

R.I.P. Brett

Geoff

Such an individual style and a wonderful story teller with it.  I loved his Anderson (didn't we all!) and Bad Company is such a memorable and distinctive creation. You can't help but think of Brett Ewins when you think of that wonderful period in 2000ad. Thanks for the thrills Brett.

ming

Really sad to learn of Brett's death; an iconic 2000AD artist with a string of other fantastic creations to his name and a legacy to be very proud of.  I only met him once, many years ago, when he signed my copy of Strange Days #2, but (with the assistance of Wake) I managed to rope him into contributing to Project Sketchbook last year.  After having come through a very difficult period, and knowing this wasn't an easy thing for him to take on, seeing the sketch signed 'Brett Ewins 2014' was incredibly heartening...

Cheers for all the Thrills, Brett!

Dash Decent

A total legend.  RIP, Mr Ewins, and thank you.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.