Main Menu

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Started by von Boom, 11 December, 2013, 08:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

The title hurt it for me, it just sounded incredibly generic and didn't inspire any curiosity or interest. It's only since the film's release that I read the book and became keen to watch it. Still, if people see it on shelves with a name they don't recognize they may just assume it's a straight to DVD turkey and be even less interested so probably won't help much either.

ThryllSeekyr

Wind-Chill and some other film I wanted to watch was shown early this morning, but I missed all the good after falling asleep again.

Tiplodocus

Just caught this on 3D Blu Ray and loved it.

Cruise is great as the smarmy ass working his way to being a weapon and Blunt and Paxton are also great.  Funny, action packed and moving - I love the dawning realisation of why he won't leave the farmhouse.

Thought the "CG excess" of the invasion was fantastic and fitted with the "Saving Private Ryan" vibe

Not sure why some reviewers thought Cruise was too old to be playing a raw recruit. You might think that from the trailer but not from the film itself.

Thoroughly recommended... right up to the very last reset.  I just can't get it to make sense in my head. Ah well, "timey, wimey!".

But yeah - great fun - oh and great 3D too.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Enigmatic Dr X

As I said on the "Last Movie Watched" thread: I loved this right up to the paradox ending.
Lock up your spoons!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 27 October, 2014, 06:13:00 PM
As I said on the "Last Movie Watched" thread: I loved this right up to the paradox ending.

The dumb ending  :P

Tiplodocus

I don't particularly mind a paradox but I really am struggling to figure out how that last reset even works. It takes him back to a time before he even meets Brendon Gleeson.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 15 August, 2014, 06:20:15 PM
Bizarrely, Warner bros. seems to be trying to retroactively change the name of the film to Live. Die. Repeat. and bury the actual title.
Finally, this decision starts to make sense. There's a sequel in development putatively called Live. Die. Repeat. Repeat.
We never really die.

Rusty

Quote from: I, Cosh on 27 October, 2017, 12:56:09 PM
Quote from: radiator on 15 August, 2014, 06:20:15 PM
Bizarrely, Warner bros. seems to be trying to retroactively change the name of the film to Live. Die. Repeat. and bury the actual title.
Finally, this decision starts to make sense. There's a sequel in development putatively called Live. Die. Repeat. Repeat.
What...how's that even work? It's like making a sequel to Groundhog Day.

Goaty

Well they could re-release the original film and change the name.

SIP

I love that film....ropey ending or not.