Main Menu

Westworld - TV Series

Started by Goaty, 10 August, 2015, 10:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

QuoteNo I'm fucking loving this and don't like to judge a mystery half way through. If it does pull a Lost then I'll fucking hate it so time will tell.

I don't have any confidence whatsoever that it is even possible to resolve something as opaque as the 'maze' mystery with anything remotely satisfying. It's the 'hatch' from Lost all over again - mystery box plotting at its worst.

I can't help but feel that the people making this show are trying to emulate the qualities they (mistakenly) think makes Game of Thrones so compelling - violence and boobs in abundance, a cast of dozens with no central lead character, multiple disparate plot threads - when I think what Westworld desperately needs is more focus. A good editor would, for example, perhaps combine the characters of Dolores and Maeve, and maybe say Bernard and Elsie too - so we end up with a reduced cast of more defined characters rather than dozens that we don't really have a handle on.

Key to the success of Thrones was that it, right out of the gate, presented us with rich, well-rounded characters like Tyrion and Ned who immediately resonated with audiences. I don't know who we're expected to like or root for in WW? Everyone is very loosely sketched and/or dour. The only character that seems to be actually having any fun is the one-note scumbag brother in law guy.

I wish I was enjoying it more, but as they pile on mystery after mystery (and continue to avoid defining the 'rules' of how the world they present operate) I just find myself increasingly confused with it all, and so I'm starting to care less and less because I can't engage with any of it.

Mute77

I'm  still enjoying this but pray it doesn't  do a Lost and ask loads of questions and give little in the way of answers.

Steve Green

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 November, 2016, 04:40:05 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 08 November, 2016, 04:38:59 PM
I get that the residents have to be robots rather than actors in case the guests want to have sex with them, but why are the horses robots?

In case the guests want to have sex with them.

Heh.

Professor Bear

That thought never even crossed my mind for a moment.  You people are sick.

Buttonman

I'm enjoying this - like the three plot threads which will doubtlessly intertwine as we near the end. I do hope it has a definitive conclusion as a second series would no doubt mean that things are left unresolved and stretched out until everyone gives up on it.

Fair point about the horses but why are the technicians human? It also seems unlikely they would be firing real bullets due to the chance of accidents and the damage to the hardware.
[spoiler]
I liked last night's episode where the camera casually passed by what looked awfully like a Yul Brynner robot in the basement.[/spoiler]

Grugz

I've already given up on this, just didn't have the wow factor for me
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

JamesC

I think it's getting better each week.
Plenty happened in last night's episode, really enjoyed it.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Buttonman on 09 November, 2016, 12:37:58 AM
Fair point about the horses but why are the technicians human?

My theory is that the technicans are not human, only Hopkins, and that the Maze is what makes them sentient enough to act as a technican; if they get through, they get a job. That's how Hopkins knows so much about the personal lives of his staff.
Lock up your spoons!

GordonR

I get that the residents have to be robots rather than actors in case the guests want to have sex with them, but why are the horses robots?

Because the park is a completely controlled environment where nothing can be left to chance and allowed to harm a guest. Real horses can throw a rider, panic and trample someone etc. 

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: GordonR on 09 November, 2016, 09:00:04 PM

Because the park is a completely controlled environment where nothing can be left to chance and allowed to harm a guest. Real horses can throw a rider, panic and trample someone etc.

With real horses you'd also need an extensive full-time team of handlers, grooms, vets - why bother when you've already got the necessary technicians that are all you need to look after robot horses?
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

You can tell the showrunners were very pleased with themselves about [spoiler]the twist in the latest episode, but frankly it just made me roll my eyes at its obviousness and lameness.

Twists only work in fiction when character motivations and the context, rules and logic of the setting of the fiction have been firmly established, which Westworld has - for me - singularly failed to do.[/spoiler]

Think I'm done. A shame.

TordelBack

Haven't seen this yet, but I was very amused to be heartily encouraged to do so by a very quiet almost-nunnish colleague, who concluded her ringing endorsement with "...and if you like boobs, there's loads of them!".

Ah HBO, making Sister Wendys of us all.

Link Prime

Desperately trying to avoid spoilers until I catch up with the latest episode tonight, but just read that a 2nd season has been green-lit.

Lets hope the Cylons have an actual plan this time.

Link Prime

An enjoyable episode this week.
As Radiator mentions, the twist regarding [spoiler]Bernard[/spoiler] was well flagged, but I thought it was very nicely executed.

The final scene was brilliant- I knew that [spoiler]Cullen was dead[/spoiler] as soon as she stepped into that basement.
[spoiler]Murdered by her erstwhile lover while her replacement copy was 3D printed in the background[/spoiler]- a nice touch.
Actually reminiscent to the denouement of a typical 'Saw' film.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Westworld is the best thing on TV by a country mile. Best cast, best writing.

Great that Hopkins is getting more to do now, but what tops it all for me is Thandie Newton, whom I've loved for decades, is finally finally in a leading role worthy of her immense talent.