Main Menu

Westworld - TV Series

Started by Goaty, 10 August, 2015, 10:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Yeah have to say this all looks very exciting. Not that I'll get around to watching it this side of 2020 but certainly one to keep an eye out for. Looking forward to hearing what folk say.

Mute77

Really hope this is as good as it looks. I've been waiting for this for ages..

Bad City Blue

Love the fact it's using the robots as the good guys, attaining AI and breaking free of their programming. The "man in black" is a human who comes every year.

It asks you to imagine a sentient saloon girl robot, who is effectively raped every day.... intriguing stuff.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Michael Knight

What Ed Harris isnt playing the Yul Brynner Gunslinger robot from the original?

dweezil2

Quote from: Michael Knight on 21 September, 2016, 04:58:57 PM
What Ed Harris isnt playing the Yul Brynner Gunslinger robot from the original?

[spoiler]In a twist, he's playing one of the guests![/spoiler]
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tony Angelino

I'm dubious about this. I'm not a big fan of JJ's TV output (Lost, Alcatraz etc).

Yul Brynner was great in the original movie. Part of what made it work was that he looked and dressed just like he did in The Magnificent Seven. For me he was a better robot baddie than The Terminator.

Watch the movie then stick on Logan's Run and Capricorn One for a great 1970's sci-fi extravaganza.

Tjm86

Just picked up Westworld and Futureworld in the HMV blu ray offer and been doing a double feature.  The Westworld disc has the pilot of the Beyond Westworld TV series that I never knew existed (possibly because it only ran for 5 episodes and only 3 of them were ever aired by all accounts).  There's something special about these 70's Sci Fi flicks.

On the 70's Sci Fi extravaganza I'd also add the original Andromeda Strain.  No way would they make a movie like that today where the lead cast were old middle aged / older characters.

Michael Knight

Im seriously thinking of getting Blue ray just for this. Ive always wanted to see that pilot episode. Westworld is one of my all time films as i've undoubtedly said on here more than once lol. Such great memories of being introduced to it by my late Dad. Really hope TV series does concept justice!

Satanist

Well this was a bit good. I've been looking forward to this for seemingly ages so was glad it lived up to (my) hype. Typical HBO high production values/boob count  :-[

Really looking forward to seeing how this builds up to them running amok.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

radiator

Watched the pilot the other night. Overall reaction was that it was a promising, though somewhat rocky, start. Particularly enjoyed the [spoiler]early clever twist on the premise with James Marsden and Ed Harris' characters.[/spoiler]

My main issue was some rather heavyhanded plotting/dialogue - they all but reach out of the screen and slap the audience around the face with a 'there's more going on than there seems' line. Other than that, the casting and performances are all over the map. Hopkins, Harris et al are unsurprisingly great, but man oh man, the Scandi boss woman and the British sleazy exec guy are just painfully bad in their roles.

The Scandanavian woman delivers every line completely flat, like she's just reading the dialogue phonetically off cue cards, while the British guy gives a terribly awkward, pantomimic sub-Eastenders level performance. Checking his IMDB, it seems he's appeared in very little of note to date. How on Earth did he end up in such a high profile role/series?

While the original score stuff is terrific, I have doubts about the rather incongruous use of orchestrated pop-rock songs. Feels like something that will get tiresome very quickly - hope they drop it going forward.

PsychoGoatee

Just watched the first ep too, I dig it! Plenty of intrigue and atmosphere, fun stuff so far.

Tony Angelino

I thought the first episode was dull and I probably won't watch anymore. Seemed to be full of its own self-importance.

As radiator has already remarked I also didn't like the use of the orchestrated 'pop song' during an action scene. I spent most of the scene thinking that sounds just like a Rolling Stones tune (and trying to think which one) before realising it was a Rolling Stones tune that is much more associated with the Vietnam era (old Tour of Duty fans will know the song).

The one thing that everyone remembers from the movie is Yul Brynner. I did not see anything even half as memorable in this episode.

Richard

I thought it was great. There was some brilliant acting from the girl's father, I liked the old model from decades ago who looked almost human but not quite, and the violence was suitably gruesome. Thandie Newton's cool as well, although she's only had a small part so far.

The exit wound [spoiler]that appeared in that guy's face during the robbery[/spoiler] made me wonder how safe it is to be a guest there, given the risk that a real bullet might emerge from a host and hit a real person.

Michael Knight

Yet to catch this as as sadly don't have SKY Atlantic. My loathing of Rupert Murdoch is partly the reason for this. I have however heard only great things about this.  :)

Mute77

I'm really enjoying this so far. A few twists and lots of questions i want to see answered..more please!