Main Menu

Steve Dillon 1962-2016

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 22 October, 2016, 04:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Deever

sad news. Chalk me down for 'one of my favourite comics artists' too.
R.I.P.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Funt Solo

Sorry to hear: such an amazing artist - I used to trace out his work in 2000AD because I loved it so much.  A lot of artists have a thing that makes them interesting (McMahon's big Dredd boots, O'Neill's spikiness, Belardinelli's surrealism), but Dillon was the cleanest, crispest and most realistic work in the prog - only ever matched by Bolland, and surpassed by no-one.

An absolutely legendary talent.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Eamonn Clarke

This was posted by Mike Collins on Facebook and I don't think he will mind me posting it here. Another fitting tribute from a fellow professional and again stories of how supportive Steve was to younger creators.

"News came through at the show I'm at in Ghent about the passing of Steve Dillon. The reaction of all the comics professionals here was electric. All of us are gutted. No one had a bad word to say about Steve, ever.
For me, Steve was one of those touchstones of my career. The fact he was a year younger than me and got into the biz before me spurred me to get my act together. As a fan I remember showing him my work and him being complimentary. When I was chosen to succeed him on Laser Eraser and Pressbutton for Warrior/Eclipse as he'd gone on to bigger things he was absolutely gracious and generous: I was petrified to show him my first issue but he was great about it.
More than once I've stated that Steve's Dredd was MY Dredd, more so than even Mick Mahon or Bolland's.
The guy was a consumate storyteller, with an efficiency of line that was just masterful.
Yes, there are the drinking stories of Steve (and have involved me more than once, too) but at his heart he was a raconteur whether in words or pictures.
The world is a damn sight less fun and less classy without him."

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Zenith 666

Fuck this year just fuck it.gutted

DrJomster

Such a talented artist.

Heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

RIP.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Trout

When I was 15, I won a competition in 2000 AD. It was that one where you had to apply to be a judge. I was a runner-up.

But I never got the prize, due to some sort of admin error. Months later my mum, who was acutely aware of how much it meant to me to have some small contact with this comic, rang them up and asked what had happened. They apologised, and said they'd send a book with "something extra" in it.

When it arrived, it was a Rogue Trooper book. One of the Titan ones, collecting The Hit. Because he'd been in the office visiting, they'd had Steve Dillon sign it. He wrote "cheers and stuff". I cannot begin to express how much that little thing meant to me at a difficult time in my life.

I loved Steve Dillon's art, then and now, and from the very first panel I saw. I can't believe what has happened. I never met the man, but I'm grieving.

Thanks, Steve, for everything. Cheers and stuff.

JOE SOAP

It seems almost silly to die from this but alas it happens -

"His friend and collaborator Garth Ennis, a comic book writer, said the cause was a ruptured appendix, which Mr. Dillon at first assumed was food poisoning."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/24/arts/steve-dillon-comic-artist-who-helped-create-preacher-dies-at-54.html?_r=0

dweezil2

What an even crueler twist to an already tragic event!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Atreides

An amazing artist... My First meeting with his art was with a comic which contained a tyranny Rex story. I loved the art and The story.

My thoughts goes to his family and loved ones...

I must not Fear. Fear is the mind-killer
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
I will face my Fear
I will permit it to pass over me and through me
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path
Where the Fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

ming

Such sad news has only been balanced by the outpouring of love for the man and his work.  An amazing response to his passing and as good a testament to a Life Well Spent as anyone could hope for.

I've loved Steve's work for longer than I've been a regular 2000AD reader, since I started off on Doctor Who Weekly (1979) before moving over to the Prog.  Abslom Daak was an instant hit with me and the coolest thing ever to my eight year-old self.  I graduated full-time to 2000AD at around Prog 180 and soon after that Steve Dillon's work started working for Tharg and the roll-call of Classic Thrills that followed doesn't need repeating here.

Cheers for all the Thrills, Steve - you will be missed!

mejustnow

Remember when some of his artwork for City of the Damned got lost, and he had to redo the pages in double time?

Weren't they - years later - reprinted side by side in one of the Sci-Fi Specials or annuals? Firstly, you couldn't tell that the "rush job" pages were rushed. secondly, some of the slight changes to the "camera angles" he'd made on the second pass seemed to my mind to actually improve the story telling.

That level of skill actually boggles my mind. Jeez but he was good. He was SO SO DAMNED GOOD!

As many have said over the years about 2000AD, it reached me at a time in my life where I believe it had a hand in shaping my developing brain. I have deeply imbedded neural pathways now that our comic and all it contributors helped to shape. To a degree that will be measureless 2000AD has had a part in making me the person that I am now. Steve Dillon is right there in that mix; inextricable from that alchemy that is now and forever more a part of me.

What I'm trying to say is thank you. Thanks, Steve. Thank you.
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

IAMTHESYSTEM

He busted a gut while helping other comic book artists in need. If that doesn't tell you about the man nothing does.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

paddykafka

Can't add much more to what has already been said about one of the best artists ever to grace the pages of 2000AD. My sympathies and condolences to Steve's friends, family, colleagues and fans.  :'(

Banners

Quote from: mejustnow
Weren't they - years later - reprinted side by side in one of the Sci-Fi Specials or annuals? Firstly, you couldn't tell that the "rush job" pages were rushed. secondly, some of the slight changes to the "camera angles" he'd made on the second pass seemed to my mind to actually improve the story telling.

Referred to here with links on the RIP thread.

Might be worth a mod merging Steve's mentions on that thread into this one?