Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi  (Read 5797 times)

radiator

• Bionic Fingers
  • A fry without beans is a mere meat collage.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
« Reply #180 on: 11 October, 2017, 12:28:14 am »
The flying and battle sequences look really cool - but really that is the sort of thing I expect them to up their game on every time.

I feel like they're missing a trick somewhat in the space battles in the new SW movies - everything's too flashy and moves too fast to track properly. It all looks kind of videogamey to me. I dunno, something about them doesn't really feel 'connected' when they intercut between exterior and interior cockpit shots. I'd like to see them get back to the tactile feel of the smaller scale space battles in from the original movies, which themselves felt kind of like a throwback to WWII dogfighting movies.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 11 October, 2017, 09:21:22 am »
It's a good point. I had almost dismissed the dogfighting in TFA as background fireworks because it was just too fast to focus on, but when I did an umpteenth rewatch of a shiny Blu-Ray copy the other week, and took the time to concentrate on what was going on, it was really very cool: especially the Starkiller Base stuff, some lovely starfighter sequences.  Slowing it down, paring it back, maybe following one pilot through the fight (in the way the TIE fighter heist at the start works), would make it more accessible for older doddery types like me.  But I suspect that's rather unlikely to happen.  "Faster, more intense!" hasn't gone away, you know.

I'm liking that booster rocket thing that's apparently jury-rigged to the back of an X-Wing in the new trailer.  Interested to see how that comes to be: I immediately assumed it was Poe, but then it occured that it might be something Rey fixed up to get Luke's old X-Wing back in the air and off Ach-Too.   
« Last Edit: 11 October, 2017, 09:24:08 am by TordelBack »

Magnetica

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 11 October, 2017, 09:48:50 am »
I do hope that wasn't a pod race I glimpsed though.

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #183 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:56:38 am »
Eagle Award Nominated Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 11 October, 2017, 11:47:04 am »
Cheers!  Gotta admit I thought they'd ditch that 'Act Two' name once Episode VIII was in production, it's a bit on the nose (ahem) even for Star Wars: even after 'Wobani' (Obi-Wan) and 'Scarif' (It's Gareth) in Rogue One. 

radiator

• Bionic Fingers
  • A fry without beans is a mere meat collage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 11 October, 2017, 05:28:20 pm »
Slowing it down, paring it back, maybe following one pilot through the fight (in the way the TIE fighter heist at the start works)

Yup, the TIE fighter escape works much, much better, mainly because we're following two characters we like, there's a smooth escalation of peril, and we actually have a tangible sense of whats going on. The Starkiller attack by contrast just doesn't work on any level for me - it's completely devoid of tension or excitement, 'background fireworks' as you say. Maybe that's by design, and if it is, then why bother having it in the film at all? TFA is such a frustrating watch - the first half is so well done, and then it just completely falls apart about halfway through.

edgeworthy

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 12 October, 2017, 04:29:04 am »
Okay am I alone in seeing Plif the Hoojib in the trailer?

Goaty

• Bionic Fingers
  • Goaty the illustrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 02 November, 2017, 12:46:30 pm »

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 02 November, 2017, 02:14:05 pm »
Ooh yeah, that's levitating all the right rocks for me.