Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

The general lack of new material is pretty calculated, I'd say. This is just an opening marker, reminding us that despite the last SW film being out 5 minutes ago, there is another one just around the corner.

I like that it's ploughing its own Sequel Trilogy furrow in terms of closely referencing TFA's first teaser, with effectively the same opening shot, the Forcey VO, the lowflying craft kicking up a wake... It's important that this series develops its own SW identity, when TLJ isalready clearly mirroring TESB and is sandwiched so tightly between Rogue One and Han Solo. We'll see.

JOE SOAP

Kill what you love. It's the only way forward.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 January, 2017, 01:40:00 AMOr Luke is the last Jedi ever and the philosophy of his Force teachings will change - as long as the franchise can survive and Disney allow that.

Tony Angelino

I think in some other countries the Jedi part of the title has been translated in the plural.

I don't think they will kill Luke in this film although they might in the next part if they can keep an audience around to watch it. This film would need to be a massive step up from The Force Awakens but I don't think it will be.

I wonder if they will have the excellent martial artists back from "The Raid" films again to quite literally stand around and not do any martial arts of any kind. What on earth was that about? They could have got me for that scene. At least when Rogue One got Donnie Yen they let him have a martial arts scene.

Also why bother putting the shiny Captain Phasma in the trailer? Again she did literally nothing in the Force Awakens. Put her in the trailer, that'll really get people interested.

I'd rather see another film along the lines of Rogue One with new characters and the odd short Darth Vader style cameo.

The Legendary Shark

Haven't seen the trailer and will try to avoid it and its siblings so I can go into see the film itself "uncontaminated." The less I know about a film before I see it, the more I tend to enjoy it - and vice versa. It's difficult, though, in this day and age, and now begins for me a long, tempting and frustrating period of turning my face away.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 14 April, 2017, 11:10:18 PM
I think in some other countries the Jedi part of the title has been translated in the plural.

According to director/writer Rian Johnson it's singular.

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/853004555423973376

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I like it.

I know that every Christmas, when I visit my parents, me and my dad can watch some Star Wars. From now until the end of time.

Doesn't have to be any good. I just enjoy the new tradition.
You may quote me on that.

SIP

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 14 April, 2017, 11:10:18 PM

I wonder if they will have the excellent martial artists back from "The Raid" films again to quite literally stand around and not do any martial arts of any kind. What on earth was that about? They could have got me for that scene. At least when Rogue One got Donnie Yen they let him have a martial arts scene. 

I'd rather see another film along the lines of Rogue One with new characters and the odd short Darth Vader style cameo.

I'm guessing the raid guys just asked if they could be in star wars, so the director gave them a cameo, along with several other well known actors in the film.

I would much, much rather see the last jedi than another turgid star wars film along the lines of Rogue One.

Tony Angelino

Maybe but people like Simon Pegg and Daniel Craig don't have anything extra to bring to the table. Again they could have put me in their roles.

When I heard they had brought in actors from The Raid I was expecting expertly choreographed Darth Maul style fight scenes.  The only thing I thought was strange was that it seemed to be very late on in the filming that they were announced.

Anyway I don't want to sound childish but Rogue One is better than The Force Awakens and that's the end of it. Argument finished.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 15 April, 2017, 11:31:30 AM

Anyway I don't want to sound childish but Rogue One is better than The Force Awakens and that's the end of it. Argument finished.

I much prefer Rogue One to the Force Awakens. Considering it was the start of a new trilogy I expected more (which is my own fault, film companies are not responsible for my expectations). But on the whole I found FA very lacklustre.

Regarding Ep. 8 - I want to see a lot of Luke Skywalker as I feel he is the star of the whole series (not whiney, whingy Anakin) and if they kill him off I will be very disappointed!

According to my version of Star Wars Canon, cobbled together from the film and various EU novels I cherry-pick from, Luke is actually the chosen one as predicted by the Jedi/Sith and he's the hardest/most accomplished Force user ever to have existed.

I'm still at work so I won't grab me coat yet!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

The Enigmatic Dr X

34 years we've waited to hear Luke speak again.

"Breathe," he says. Don't worry, I wasn't holding my breath all that time!
Lock up your spoons!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 15 April, 2017, 11:31:30 AMAnyway I don't want to sound childish but Rogue One is better than The Force Awakens and that's the end of it. Argument finished.

Hey now, people who think The Force Awakens is better than Rogue One are as entitled to defend their opinion just as much as Flat Earthers and Anti-Vaxxers are.

dweezil2

Rogue One and The Force Awakens both have their flaws and merits.

For me, of the two films, The Force Awakens felt the more Star Warsy-maybe due to the somewhat recycled plot and the returning cast members I also felt it had a more emotional heft than Rogue One.

Still, it's all very objective obviously.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Professor Bear

That's the spirit - show him you lot aren't monsters.

I had the opposite problem: Force Awakens drew from such a limited pool of tropes that it felt to me more like a Star Wars knock-off than an actual Star Wars film.  Even fan movies spread their wings a bit.

SIP

Just saw Rogue One for the third time with 5 friends this evening.  It gets worse on every viewing folks.....everyone in the room felt exactly the same.

Force awakens has buckets of problems, but 6 viewings in its still fun and entertaining. Rogue one won't be getting viewing number 4.

JOE SOAP

Star Wars Ep. IV dailies were shown at SW Celebration, including an extended Death Star Conference scene. General Tagge refers to Vader as a Sith Lord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja4WudpzBYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xIBdWBou7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I7jAwuocMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkVUTEBMzUk