Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 January, 2018, 08:54:56 AM
Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 28 January, 2018, 08:49:25 AM
Marion's being a smitten kitten was absolutely one of the worst things INDY IV inflicted.

Really?  I absolutely loved that bit. God that woman's smile could power cities.

That 'bit' lasted half the sodding film!

In total agreement about Karen Allen's smile, though.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

SIP

So, my new way of looking at episodes 7-9 is to consider the films as a "what if?"/elseworld sort of thing.

For me, none of the original trilogy characters, Han, Leia, Luke, Chewbacca or even Yoda, feel or act like the characters from the original trilogy. I have a difficult time reconciling that these are the same people........so episodes 7 to 9 are now a parallel dimension of Star wars, a "what if all of your heroes failed?" Set of stories.

That's how I'm going to live with them anyway. My OT characters saved the galaxy and all lived happily ever after. Hooray!  This will help me sleep at night 😊

Anyway.....NEXT!
"Han Solo" trailer reported to be released this coming Monday. Can Ron Howard save it? Fingers crossed........I still have hope.

Dandontdare

"Save" it? Sounds like you've made your mind up before the trailer's even out

SIP

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 February, 2018, 09:37:59 AM
"Save" it? Sounds like you've made your mind up before the trailer's even out

Where do people keep getting this idea that I'm always ready to jump all over new star wars? I give opinion on something when I've experienced it.....not before. I mostly liked Force Awakens.....didn't like Rogue One (I did at first.....just not later), and don't like last jedi. All of those films I paid to see at least twice.

I would note that I was positive and enthusiastic in my comments on all of these films BEFORE I had seen them.

No sir, I'm referring to the controversy surrounding the film, with the high profile dismissal by Disney of the films original directors (following creative differences with Kasdan) after a significant proportion of the shooting had been completed.

Ron Howard was effectively brought on to "save" the film by reportedly sticking closer to Kasdan's vision than the original directing team was and reshoot when necessary......hence my comment.

SIP

As per every star wars film (including "the clone wars" movie), I shall be first in line on opening day. I've hardly made my mind up. I WANT this to be good.

Dandontdare

sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick. I don't follow all the pre-release news and gossip about movies, partly because there are too many idiots who wind me up, and mainly for spoilers - not so much plot-spoilers, but just general scuttlebutt - I find it's very hard NOT to go into a film with preconceptions if I've been reading about it for the past year*. I just watch the stuff when it comes out and enjoy it or not.

* when Dredd came out, as you can imagine there was a long busy thread on here beforehand - I made a conscious decision to avoid it for the alst 6 months so I'd go into the movie 'fresh' - regretted that as the regulars who'd been contributing got their names included in block graffiti and billboards in the finished movie!

SIP

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 February, 2018, 10:50:35 AM
sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick. I don't follow all the pre-release news and gossip about movies, partly because there are too many idiots who wind me up, and mainly for spoilers - not so much plot-spoilers, but just general scuttlebutt - I find it's very hard NOT to go into a film with preconceptions if I've been reading about it for the past year*. I just watch the stuff when it comes out and enjoy it or not.

* when Dredd came out, as you can imagine there was a long busy thread on here beforehand - I made a conscious decision to avoid it for the alst 6 months so I'd go into the movie 'fresh' - regretted that as the regulars who'd been contributing got their names included in block graffiti and billboards in the finished movie!

My fault entirely......I should not have made the assumption that everyone would know about the problems that have gone on during the production of the Han Solo film!

Ron Howard is a solid director......so I'm confident he will have put together something cohesive. It would be easy to see how this film may come out disjointed. My fingers are crossed though.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 February, 2018, 10:50:35 AM* when Dredd came out, as you can imagine there was a long busy thread on here beforehand - I made a conscious decision to avoid it for the alst 6 months so I'd go into the movie 'fresh' - regretted that as the regulars who'd been contributing got their names included in block graffiti and billboards in the finished movie!
Me too. I just have to imagine The Legendary Shark's Shuggy Shack is around the corner from the slo-mo den, next door to Dandontdare's Disco Dino Diner.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SIP

Never mind, I was a contributor to that thread but didn't get my name in there.

But...... my username at the time was just my actual name, which wasn't exactly exciting!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SIP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 February, 2018, 11:47:40 AM
Let me guess; Mark Krysler...?

No, my username back then was "PeachTrees".....still annoys me that I didn't get in there.....

TordelBack

I have never been less enthused about the prospect of a new SW film than I am about Solo, despite the fact that I have rarely been as excited about SW in general, and would pay a significant sum to watch Episode IX right now.  It's not that I've any strong opinions about the casting or production - beyond thinking Disney very seldom make a bad movie, and Ron Howard can be relied upon to deliver a solid flick - but the whole idea of a Han Solo prequel still just leaves me cold, and nothing the PR machine (sole employee: Ron Howard) has put out to date has done anything to warm me up. 

But I am both easily pleased, and always open to being pleasantly surprised, so here's hoping.

Pyroxian

I liked the casting of Lando Calrissian. I'd much prefer this was a Calrissian prequel movie TBH, as there's a lot less of his background we know about, so it could make for a more interesting story.

I'm worried that Solo will just be an exercise in box-ticking - Rescues Chewie (tick), Wins the Millenium Falcon (tick), Does the Kessel Run (tick)...

TordelBack

Quote from: Pyroxian on 02 February, 2018, 02:40:13 PM
I liked the casting of Lando Calrissian. I'd much prefer this was a Calrissian prequel movie TBH, as there's a lot less of his background we know about, so it could make for a more interesting story.

Damnit, you're right, that would have far better - you could have introduced Young Han Solo that way as a minor player in Lando's story, and seen was there actually an appetite for more.  I can really see myself getting excited about that, and even better if it had a framing device of Billy Dee Williams telling a story over a game of sabacc in the Sequel era. Discounting his various EU outings, there's actually more juicy hints about Lando's past in the movies than there is about Han's - battle of Tanaab, for example.  His role in Rebels, where he's just getting into mining, offers a nice platform too.

And just think of the SJW-accusations fired at that one!