Main Menu

Craft Beer

Started by JLC, 13 February, 2017, 09:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 28 June, 2017, 10:42:25 AM
I didn't realise they even brewed beer at 11%.

Famously (well if you know Sheffield) The Frog and Parrot pub used to sell a beer called 'Roger and Out' which at the time was supposed to be the world's strongest beer. It was only sold in 1/3 pints I always thought due to the fact it was bloody vile as much to increase its legend. Think it was around 15% or more.

Not sure if they still have as I've not been da frog in years.

Zarjazzer

Yes they sell you the 11% ers in small half pints I think. But you can always buy two. After doing this I nearly joined the Tamil Tigers in a bizarre twist of fate.  :)

That day may be a blur but memorable. And in the Cask ABV is usually king the higher the ABV the more you pay. 
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

CalHab

I did get a warning from a barman once when buying a bottle of Brewdog Paradox (a beer conditioned in a whisky cask) that it was very strong and he wouldn't sell me more than one.

It was a nice beer. In this case they'd used a cask from a Speyside whisky (from Keith, I think), which worked well. So well, that I bought a couple of bottles from my local off-licence. Unfortunately those were from a batch that used an Islay whisky cask and tasted like an unholy combination of Iodine and ashtrays. Buyer beware.

Jim_Campbell

Forgot about this one from a couple of months ago. Not only my favourite band, but a deceptively easy to drink pale at a slightly dangerous 7.4%

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

Quote from: CalHab on 13 July, 2017, 11:04:00 AM
....  tasted like an unholy combination of Iodine and ashtrays. Buyer beware.

You have some very peculiar tastes my friend.  Drinking iodine and ashtrays?   :o

CalHab

Quote from: Tjm86 on 13 July, 2017, 01:36:30 PM
You have some very peculiar tastes my friend.  Drinking iodine and ashtrays?   :o

All part of the rich tapestry of experience I gained during a well spent youth.

Apestrife

I quite like Ballast point, Brewdog and Lagunitas. Quite easy to get by where I live. Mikkeller is also nice.

I spent a week in Chicago last April, almost drank myself tired of IPA. 3 floyds especially. Very hoppy. Recently I've mostly into alcohol free or "medium strength" (we call them "folk beer" where I live). Change it up a bit. I'm also amazed at how good some alcohol free beer can be.

Mikey

My non alcoholic beer of choice is Erdinger - it looks and tastes like the full on version and is nice and refreshing.

Quote from: CalHab on 13 July, 2017, 11:04:00 AMUnfortunately those were from a batch that used an Islay whisky cask and tasted like an unholy combination of Iodine and ashtrays. Buyer beware.

I've had an Ennis and Gun whisky cask beer and didn't think it had added much as far as flavour goes, though can't recall what sort of whisky they used.  However, I can see how Speyside characteristics could add some smooth, caramel notes to beer - Islay not so much! Maybe an IPA, but the flavour is too distinct and I'm not surprised the beer was crap.

This weekend I'll be tucking into a mini keg of Ghost Ship, which is OK in bottles but tastes great from the keg.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

CalHab

Quote from: Mikey on 28 July, 2017, 09:14:42 AM
My non alcoholic beer of choice is Erdinger - it looks and tastes like the full on version and is nice and refreshing.

Yes, the Erdinger one is pretty good. Brewdog's Nanny State is also drinkable.

Apestrife

Erdinger, it's not the weisse beer you mean? Tried one a couple years ago, and I thought it tasted like carbonated flour. But I'm gonna give it another go.

I think Mikkeller has done wonders with alcohol free beer as well. I've bought it for the taste alone. People who tasted it of me was certain that it was "a real beer".

There's also one called "India Pale Soda". Made in Gothenburg, Sweden. Has this flowery taste. Doesn't taste like a fuzzy drink. Brilliant when eating bbq.

Mikey

Quote from: Apestrife on 28 July, 2017, 12:41:14 PM
Erdinger, it's not the weisse beer you mean? Tried one a couple years ago, and I thought it tasted like carbonated flour. But I'm gonna give it another go.

Ha ha! Yeah, that's the one! Weissbiers are like liquid bread and are maybe an acquired taste. Best one I've had was Edelweiss when I was in Austria, and a favourite you can get in some shops here is Weihenstephan - not as bready, more creamy I find. Another to try is Hoegaarden which is quite light and sharper than a lot of others.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Albion

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 24 June, 2017, 02:10:02 PM
.......they used to have Dark Star ales haven't been for a while alas.

I'm a big fan of Dark Star. They are just a few miles away from me and I regularly visit their pub in Horsham as we have a homebrew club meet up there.

One of the brewers comes along each month and we get to try what he has been creating with their test brewing equipment. He even gave us all a load of free hops too.

They have an excellent beer festival at the brewery each year.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

JLC

Quote from: Albion on 28 July, 2017, 01:54:32 PM

I'm a big fan of Dark Star. They are just a few miles away from me and I regularly visit their pub in Horsham as we have a homebrew club meet up there.

One of the brewers comes along each month and we get to try what he has been creating with their test brewing equipment. He even gave us all a load of free hops too.

I've been to that one in Horsham. Great pub!

CalHab

Zarjazzer

Quote from: Albion on 28 July, 2017, 01:54:32 PM

You must be a happy man! I was in the Doggetts in that London recently mostly summer ales but  a nice bitter though they'd run out of Plum Porter. A shame.

Fab  RT beers CalHAb for Mr Gibbons.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.