Main Menu

Two comics GREATS awarded Bill Finger Award

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 June, 2017, 09:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

This is 2000ad related (2001 related yes but not 2000) but what the heck as two of my all time favourite comic writers are being recognised with this years Bill Finger award. Read more about it here.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/bill-messner-loebs-and-jack-kirby-to-receive-2017-bill-finger-award/

Now Kirby is an easy one. His writing work after leaving Marvel for the first time is marks him on many days of the year as my absolute number 1 comic writer. From New Gods and Demon, to his return to Marvel with 2001 and Eternals (to name but a few) are just the very best there is. He just got what defines comics as a unique medium and stretches the very boundaries of the medium in an easy accessible and stunningly enjoyable way.

Messner-Loebs for many will be a less obvious choice but his work is truly the most under-rated of any in the mainstream of comics.He's brilliant and so few seem to get it. His work on the Wally West Flash is vrey possibly my favourite outside of a couple of Daredevil runs of any big two supergero comic. He did an astonishing run on Wonder Woman, for some reason over looked. BUT on top of that he's done some stunning work outside the mainstream, just check out his work as scripter on The Maxx and Journey.

The man is just a top rate writer and I'm so glad he's being so well recognised.