Main Menu

Prog 2040 - Murder Wrap!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 15 July, 2017, 12:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Nice one off Dredd from the Whyatt droid in the black museum (sort of)

Brink wraps up its current arc

Grey suit returns with a text page to bring us up to speed.

The ETC crew are in the fragging area again in Grey Area.

And Hunted continues to bring the big final panel reveveals.

IndigoPrime

Notably, Greysuit gets a full-page 'previously'. Handy for new readers. (And for people who've forgotten what's going on.)

CalHab

The Dredd was a fun yarn (with the obligatory bad pun at the end) and hasgreat Tom Foster art. Brink is still the high point of the prog for me, hopefully it'll be back soon.

Tjm86

Nosho week again for the prog.  That's two weeks in a row.   :(

Colin YNWA

Now that's what I call Thrill-power 2040 - or what a difference a week makes.

Last week we had an okay Prog, this week we have a blinder. The differences. Well a classic Dredd for one. All the hallmarks of an early Wagner and Bolland one parter. Sharp, fun and action packed. Simple quality and yep Tom Foster's art is getting better and better and heading slowly towards Bollandesque. Great stuff all round.

The other big difference is the Mills swap from Defoe (boo) to Greysuit (yah!) always enjoyed this thrill and after a handy recap we get an action packed opener really throwing everything in but the Millsian tropes of class 'rebellion' and laboured social commentry are washed down with a healthy dose of violence and chaos (or given this is Mills should that be Khaos?).

Dabnett's wonders are as you were really, Grey Area has a fantastic episode openning up the story to what appears might be a larger arena, even if its wrapped up next week though this has been a blast. Brink alas does wrap but but man does it leave us on a high. Nicely tieing up (well given the neck ripping mabe nicely isn't the right word!) everything from this story and coolly setting up the next. Just sublime stuff and an absolute top thrill. I'm about to make the case for Dabnett being the best writer currently working for Tharg and possibly the best of this decade.

The only downside is Hunted that felt like it was heading somewhere last week only to squarely pull the rug from under us, but not in a good way. In many cases this twisty twist might have been fun. Here its just not really getting me to invest enough to care.

So yeah 3 very good and one Blindin' thrill only one poor one mark this as a good Prog in my eyes.

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 July, 2017, 04:36:45 PM
I'm about to make the case for Dabnett being the best writer currently working for Tharg and possibly the best of this decade.

Yes totally. I have been thinking the same (Wagner excluded of course), no-one comes close to Dan Abnett. Lawless, Brink, Insurrection - you just can't beat them. I also continue to love Sinister Dexter, and I class it with the others I have just mentioned as an all time 2000AD classic (I know others don't though.)

His Wikipedia page is sadly out of date. It says he stopped working for 2000AD in 2008!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 July, 2017, 08:01:46 PM
I also continue to love Sinister Dexter, and I class it with the others I have just mentioned as an all time 2000AD classic (I know others don't though.)

Yeah the wrong one's you mean. As I've said here before I'm a BIG fan of Sinister Dexter and I'm completely with you on this one! Hope its back soon. People bemoan the absense of a regular strip that appears often in a nice variable way that accompanies Dredd... hello Sinister Dexter folks... well it used to be. Been horribly irregular of late, love to have it back more often.

Magnetica

Yes I know you like it. You and me have posted our love for it many times. It is indeed them other folk...

sheridan

I'm about to make the case for Dabnett being the best writer currently working for Tharg and possibly the best of this decade.

Yes totally. I have been thinking the same (Wagner excluded of course), no-one comes close to Dan Abnett. Lawless, Brink, Insurrection - you just can't beat them. I also continue to love Sinister Dexter, and I class it with the others I have just mentioned as an all time 2000AD classic (I know others don't though.)

His Wikipedia page is sadly out of date. It says he stopped working for 2000AD in 2008!
No need to be sad - the whole point of wikipedia is that anybody can update it!

Magnetica

True, but no-one has bothered with this particular page. And I'm not going to be the one to do it either - I don't have all the necessary info.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 15 July, 2017, 11:18:21 PM

No need to be sad - the whole point of wikipedia is that anybody can update it!

p.s. skim-read the article, but couldn't see anything saying he'd stopped working for 2000AD in 2008.  What it did say was that he signed an exclusive contract with Marvel in 2008 which still allowed him to continue writing when it isn't direct competition (i.e. British work for Games Workshop and 2000AD).  Anyway, I've updated with a bit of his 2010s work for 2000AD - what else should I add other than Brink and Grey Area (or of course, any of you can edit the page as well).

sheridan

Ah - perhaps it was the 'Dan Abnett bibliography' page you were referring to - corrected (but not updated with 2010s work).

Richard

I really liked that Dredd, both script and art. A fast-paced tale, everything tied together, and art indistinguishable from Bolland's. More from both of these droids please.

Magnetica

Yes sorry it was the bibliography page. The banner at the top said 2000AD 1991 to 2008. Thanks for updating.

I guess Barney is as  good a source as any for his works ( but even that used to have the Prog numbers for the first series of Brink wrong - now corrected I believe).