Main Menu

Thought Bubble 2017 2000AD Competitions

Started by Batdan4ever, 03 August, 2017, 10:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batdan4ever

Hi all

In case some of you weren't aware, Thought Bubble have recently released details of this years writing/art comps

http://thoughtbubblefestival.com/events/2000ad-competitions/

Anyone going to give it a go? I will be having a stab at the sample script

Dan :)

we66y

Thanks, I'll have another go, the thoughtbubble is one of my favourite cons, the atmosphere last time I went was so much fun. I like the way they go all out with the fandom, using cosplayers as staff, having loads of space for the small press and doing panels geared toward comic fans not movie goers.

james newell

I don't suppose there is a way of entering with out physically been there, even if I buy a ticket?

Batdan4ever

Yeah Thought Bubble always has a great atmosphere. Plus it's always nice to visit my hometown of Leeds :)

James, I think you would need to be there, though I may be wrong. Usually you take your entry to the 2000ad table for them to look over and then, if you are shortlisted, the winner is usually revealed the following day.

G-T8

I'm going to try and write this without being bitter or put people off!

If there are more than a dozen people before you in the queue for the session then it is highly unlikely that you will get a chance to do your pitch so look at the queue and if you are not very close to the front then adjust your expectations. You will not get to pitch!

It's first come first served (well it was last year) and when they run out of time that's it folks!

Last year I was close to the front of the queue and on the front row in the session; as the end time came close a member of TB staff told me and person next to me at the end of the row that we would be the last ones up. Just before it got to us two on the end of the row Molch-R announced that it was finished and they would shortly announce the winner (we never got called and had had our expectations unceremoniously dashed). Judges (in this case it was Tharg, Al Ewing, and Leah Moore) had a brief discussion and agreed and announced the winner.

If it had started on time and had been a bit more organised I think that we would have been called and probably a few more as well. I think that the session started properly about 5-10 mins after the expected time.

In hindsight the winner last year was a very worthy winner and even though it was better than mine I was right royally pissed off at being told that I was getting a chance and then getting shot down. It was not a nice feeling so please lower your expectations! The winner was quite a standout winner and was a very Future Shocky Future Shock so it was good to see what Tharg likes. On the other hand there were some that were plain embarrassing and one person walked off after less than one sentence due to nerves (yep you are pitching in front of everyone not just the panel so bring spare pants to change into after). Also, I made the mistake of handing my pitch/synopsis and script to Tharg as he was coming off stage; never heard back on that one so I expect it went into the galactic recycling!

Unfortunately I can't go this year as they brought it forward from November and it clashes with quite a lot of other Cons around August and September which I had already booked for and couldn't afford another one plus travel and hotels etc. Saying all that, if I was going I would still be going to try and pitch; I would just make sure that I was at least in the first 10 people in the queue to get in!

To those who are going I can recommend the party on the Sat night and also head to Smokestack bar after as it has a great atmosphere and usually a contingent on creators on the lash!

Full credit though to the lovely Leah Moore who was really nice to me when I told her about missing out and was full of encouragement to keep on pitching & submitting!

Enjoy it all and don't get put off if you don't get called up. Remember that the submissions window opens in a few weeks time and this time next year we can all compare the rejection letters!

Pauul

It sucks that you didn't get to pitch, but I kinda figured this kinda thing would happen when i heard it was first come, first served.

Which is why I got there over an hour early and started queuing before the previous panel had even gone in.

So, I was the first one up on stage.

I didn't win but I'm still glad I got to pitch.

I will be going back this year and trying again, although I haven't settled on an idea yet, there are a few possibilities that I might pull out of my ideas notebook.

matty_ae

I once heard a story about an entry level editors job that was advertised in the Guardian.
It was a perfect first job for every single media graduate.

They got over 800 applications (this was in the day's of mail) that sat in two big brown bags.
My friend was a PA who's job was to whittle them down to a shortlist of 20.

She told her boss she didn't know where to start with so many entries.

He told her to put one bag straight in the skip.
She said 'but the best application might be in there'

He said he only hired lucky people - and that bag wasn't lucky.

i think the point of this story is when you go for a highly desired or 'trophy' job, expect the competition to be fierce and that you have to some degree be lucky as well.

Dandontdare

I'd also add that whatever the quality of your idea, you will have to pitch to a crowd. One poor chap last year stumbled through a (quite interesting) opening and then lost his confidence and fled the stage. Don't be scared, they're a friendly bunch!

james newell

anyone know the names of the 5 artists that ware in the final of the art comp. I think it would be interesting to see their interpretation of the same script.

Steve Green

Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 August, 2017, 06:17:37 PM
I'd also add that whatever the quality of your idea, you will have to pitch to a crowd. One poor chap last year stumbled through a (quite interesting) opening and then lost his confidence and fled the stage. Don't be scared, they're a friendly bunch!

This came up in conversation a couple of times at the con - is there much value in a scriptwriter being able to perform to an audience, considering that creatives (or anyone) can be introverted?

It doesn't seem to prove much with regards to their writing, other than filling a gap in the schedule.

Fungus

Good point.

Plus, entrants squatting in a sealed box while voice distortion software adds weight to their story-telling sounds fun*.

Definitely agree it would be great to see the art comp finalists' work somewhere.

* FrankNote: missed TB :-( but I'd forgotten about the runner last time (!) A great shame, since the atmosphere is always encouraging, seeing people's art/story pitches are usually a highlight

Bolt-01

Quote from: Steve Green on 28 September, 2017, 09:23:36 PM

This came up in conversation a couple of times at the con - is there much value in a scriptwriter being able to perform to an audience, considering that creatives (or anyone) can be introverted?

It doesn't seem to prove much with regards to their writing, other than filling a gap in the schedule.

Ah, but Steve for those plucky few brave enough to take a stab- this process completely bypasses the submissions pile and if you are good enough on the day you take the prize.

Yes, there is an element of X-factor/Gladiators about the whole thing- but Tharg isn't pressganging entrants.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 29 September, 2017, 12:49:36 PM
Yes, there is an element of X-factor/Gladiators about the whole thing- but Tharg isn't pressganging entrants.

Definitely needs an assault course.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: james newell on 28 September, 2017, 09:16:56 PM
anyone know the names of the 5 artists that ware in the final of the art comp. I think it would be interesting to see their interpretation of the same script.

Hey, I was the artist lucky enough to win the portfolio comp this year. You can see the four pages I went in with on my site (they're the non-Dredd ones on the first page) http://www.sketchymagpie.com

I'm not sure if the other finalists have their full entries online anywhere, but the 2000AD twitter account named them along with their finalist pages here: https://twitter.com/2000AD/status/911962342732296194

The judges where actually stuck between mine and Gary Walsh's entry (which is superb!) and spent what felt like 5-10 minutes deliberating so I was very lucky to come out the winner in the end!

A note on the writer's competition... I totally agree that it's a different ball-game and – as someone who chickened out of entering the art comp the last two years – it put me a little as ease with exactly how much LESS pressure we're under, since a successful pitch has as much to do with your self-confidence as the idea itself. Also worth mentioning for future entrants that it seemed extra points where being given for pitching without notes but I don't think that's a written rule or anything.

I'm excited to draw the winning pitch because the reveal of the twist got a HUGE gasp from the audience... it's gonna be fun! XD

Steve Green