Main Menu

Zenith returns in Prog 2050!

Started by robert_ellis, 13 September, 2017, 06:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

That Zenith interview was great. I enjoyed the previous (grant Morrison) one from years back which has never been reprinted. This was far more poignant & touching than I could have hoped for!

Colin YNWA

Seriously why is anyone worrying about what other folk choose to spend their money on? If someone isn't enjoying the Prog at any one time why on earth would they continue buying it*? It doesn't make them any less of a fan of the stuff they do enjoy. The fact that they come and hang out here is surely a good thing as by keeping in touch they become aware of all the other stuff they can pump into Rebellion's coffers, trades etc AND they may well see something about the Prog that gets them reading again.

*Why on earth that would be at the moment escapes me the Progs on sparkling form at the moment and has been for some time - mind that's the way with the Galaxy's Greatest diferent people enjoy different things in it. Been discussed elsewhere of course.

JamesC

Quote from: JLC on 24 September, 2017, 04:33:38 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 23 September, 2017, 07:14:06 PM
I find it hard to understand why, if you're interested in 2000ad and its characters, you wouldn't be buying it currently.
It's as good as it's ever been and if you even read a 10th of what's posted on the forum surely your curiosity would be piqued? And it's not like it's hard to find a copy.
I rarely post in the prog thread these days (I buy my copy on a Weds and most people have said what needs saying by then) but rest assured, I'm a paid-up current era Squaxx and proud!
I've been buying it again for a couple years & disagree. About to give up again, not enough good content to justify me buying it regularly.

Fair enough if you're not enjoying it. I think it's really good at the moment though - can't remember the last time I skipped a strip.

JayzusB.Christ

Haven't read all this thread (or indeed much of anything on the forum lately) but I liked the Zenith piece a lot. Always wondered what he was up to these days.

Also don't quite understand why Phase 4 wasn't held in high regard. It blew my mind twice in the space of twenty years. https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=38501.0
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

Phase IV is one of the best stories ever to appear in 2000AD in the last 40 years.

Richard

Just read that thread you linked to, and it's brilliant. I'll have to re-read Zenith soon.

IndigoPrime

I agree: Phase IV was horrifying and a really solid ending to a great series. The only negative for me was the decision to have the thing in colour.

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 October, 2017, 10:26:44 PM
Also don't quite understand why Phase 4 wasn't held in high regard. It blew my mind twice in the space of twenty years. https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=38501.0
That's a great thread! For me, I think Phase 4 is a great ending to the story but it's just not as engaging a story in itself. The shift of focus to the distanced narrator telling us about the Lloigor and what happens makes everything less immediate than the other three. That it's the weakest of the four certainly doesn't make it bad.

Plus, you know, the colours. Actually, maybe that was a deliberate decision to try and give the reader a taste of the impossible horrors visited on the unprepared human mind exposed to creatures from outside space and time.
We never really die.

Greg M.

Phase IV is, effectively, the Virtual Reality Prison story that all Future Shock writers are told to avoid.

Rara Avis

I just want to pipe up and say I loved Phase IV.

Felt the same way reading that as I did reading the end of Use of Weapons.

Maybe it doesn't stand up to repeat readings but I remember that feeling.

JayzusB.Christ

I kind of liked the colour, personally - the flat day-glo primaries were perfect for the post-baggy / rave scene that the pre-Lloigor-victory story centred around.  Though I suspect, now I think of it, the post-apocalyptic black sun scenes may have worked better in black and white.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

That's okay, we see those same scenes in black and white in a premonition in one of the other Phases (probably 3 but I can't remember). I liked Phase 4 in colour, but I suppose it's a matter of taste. It's not as if it was coloured badly, like that Dredd story Yeowell did not long before.

Off topic now: I totally agree about Use of Weapons. It's one of my all-time favourite books, but I think I can never read it again because knowing how it ends means it will be impossible to recapture that feeling of reading it for the first time. It's rather like watching Se7en or Reservoir Dogs for the first time. Or, indeed, Zenith Phase IV.

P.S.:-
QuotePhase IV is, effectively, the Virtual Reality Prison story that all Future Shock writers are told to avoid.
:D :D :D