Main Menu

Zenith returns in Prog 2050!

Started by robert_ellis, 13 September, 2017, 06:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 September, 2017, 01:15:54 PM
Zero chance of that. It's either a pin-up, or a throwaway gag in the Sin/Dex that Yeowell is drawing.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the second part of my post.

jabish

With Indigo Prime by Kek-W, Devlin Waugh by Rory McConville & ACE Trucking by Eddie Robson all happening maybe it's possible you might see a new Zenith series written by someone else. We are seeing that, as house characters, if it is felt there is worth in bringing these stories back, not having the original writer-creator is no longer a deal-breaker.

I don't think it is a new series, but who knows in the future. I wouldn't want to see it either. But...

Magnetica

I'm not too keen on the new Ace Trucking either.

I'd much rather see new characters than classic ones given to new writers. When a strip has had its day, when it has said all it can, then it is time to move on.

My recent re-read of Nemesis highlighted this for me. Even the very best strips can only go on for so long before they start repeating themselves, with ever diminishing returns.

It's a very rare strip that can endlessly keep it going. Arguably 2000AD has only two three of those: Dredd, Stront and Sinister Dexter.*

* stands back and waits for the rocks to be hurled in my direction

jabish

Quote from: Magnetica on 14 September, 2017, 01:56:30 PM
I'd much rather see new characters than classic ones given to new writers.

It's interesting after reading Pat Mills' 'Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave' and hearing his views on copyright ownership in British comics. It strikes me that that could be one the reasons why we're seeing classic thrills return rather than new characters. If you have what you think is a shit hot concept and characters you may be less inclined to give that to 2000ad than to seek another way of getting it out there which would give a better ownership deal especially when more and more it seems that comics are becoming the go-to ideas factory for TV and Film. I don't know, I'm not in the business, I just look forward to the prog hitting the mat every Saturday. But its an interesting situation.

And in support I still like Sinister Dexter too. Dan Abnett is having a bit of a golden period the last number of years in the prog. Nice one.

8-Ball

Quote from: jabish on 14 September, 2017, 02:14:50 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 14 September, 2017, 01:56:30 PM
I'd much rather see new characters than classic ones given to new writers.

If you have what you think is a shit hot concept and characters you may be less inclined to give that to 2000ad than to seek another way of getting it out there which would give a better ownership deal especially when more and more it seems that comics are becoming the go-to ideas factory for TV and Film.

I find that kind of thinking to be the death knell of creativity. Writing "for the Trade" is bad enough but creating stories/characters specifically so that they can be adapted for TV/Movies at a later date is even worse. That's what killing Marvel Comics at the moment. It's no longer a publisher, merely the caretaker for an extensive IP farm.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Hawkmumbler

I'll drink to that, as cute as a Zenith cameo is and part and parcel of 2000AD's grand tradition of subverting tropes and expectations, a full on return is not for the best.

I feel the transfer of john Smiths properties has...hidden reasons we are probably best not prying upon if what i;ve seen elsewhere indicates.

The Monarch

where is this darn pic you speak of xd

jabish

Quote from: 8-Ball on 14 September, 2017, 04:14:10 PM
I find that kind of thinking to be the death knell of creativity. Writing "for the Trade" is bad enough but creating stories/characters specifically so that they can be adapted for TV/Movies at a later date is even worse. That's what killing Marvel Comics at the moment. It's no longer a publisher, merely the caretaker for an extensive IP farm.

I agree with all that completely. Mark Millar is a big example of that and Millarworld being bought out by Netflix is the proof in the pudding. I think he's an extreme example though. I don't think every comic creator sets about coming up with a story/character with the express intention of making it an attractive property for screen treatment. But who will actually own it going forward must be in the back of people's heads when considering what to pitch to different companies. Especially when we see more and more properties having a life after the page.

Sorry if this is turning into a creators rights debate, there's been many of those I know. I guess Zenith is the kind of character that brings it up. Looking forward to prog 2050.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I completely do want a new series of Zenith. I wouldn't even quibble if Rebellion decided to call him a house character and assign a new writer. I'd be more inclined to object if Yeowell wasn't involved.

What I really don't want is more zzzzenith.com

Frank

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 14 September, 2017, 07:09:25 PM
I wouldn't even quibble if Rebellion decided (Zenith was) a house character

Thanks to that old cheque and docket system, every 2000ad character is a house character.*

I agree with Jabish: the length of time a strip or character holds the interest of their original creators turns out to be a pretty good proxy for how long they're fun to read.

* Except Harry Exton, All Bestardi, and Hilary Robinson's pantheon of heroes - but y'all know that

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 14 September, 2017, 01:27:26 PM
I refer the honourable gentleman to the second part of my post.

It was such a good point, I thought it would bear repeating!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

I really loved Zenith books 1 - 4 (or is it phase I to IV?) but it was a complete story, with a beginning, early middle, late middle and end.  zzzenith was okay as a landmark prog highlight, but didn't add anything.  If there is a new one-off then it may be amusing enough but similarly I doubt it would add anything of substance (even if TMO managed to convince Mr Morrison to write it).

8-Ball

Resemblance to a certain PR droid aside (as well as off-topic talk about creators' rights, old thrills being dusted off) I always get a kick out of seeing Zenith's fashion choices through the years - the brief appearance of his acid house/baggy look in Phase IV being a particular highlight. Is he an elder statesman of rock these days? Living it up with a leggy blonde half his age on some Caribbean island?

Frank

Quote from: 8-Ball on 14 September, 2017, 08:33:56 PM
I always get a kick out of seeing Zenith's fashion choices through the years - the brief appearance of his acid house/baggy look in Phase IV being a particular highlight. Is he an elder statesman of rock these days? Living it up with a leggy blonde half his age on some Caribbean island?

Zenith struck me as more Bros than Def Lepard.

In Zzzenith.com he was Robbie Williams, so today he'd be bumming round LA, waiting for fat Iok Sotot to take a break from judging X-Factor and get the old gang back together to squeeze one last pay day from the nostalgia circuit.

One reason Zenith 2017 would be a bad cover version of previous hits is that music's no longer central to popular culture. The strip's distinctly British tabloid concerns were all that distinguished it from thousands of other flying/punching strips.

I know you all think Phase III is the best, but I was waiting for the US comic in-jokes to finish so we could get back to The Hitman and Her, politics, and recent history.

* shit tattoos, soul patch, cheeky grin

8-Ball

Quote from: Frank on 14 September, 2017, 10:26:38 PM

Zenith struck me as more Bros than Def Lepard.

In Zzzenith.com he was Robbie Williams, so today he'd be bumming round LA, waiting for fat Iok Sotot to take a break from judging X-Factor and get the old gang back together to squeeze one last pay day from the nostalgia circuit.

The nostalgia circuit sounds about right actually. Somewhere at the bottom of the bill at REWIND, behind Level 42, Billy Ocean and The Human League