Main Menu

Have I read all the JD Mega epics?

Started by marko10174, 12 October, 2017, 01:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

What I also like about my list is that all the stories are great and still hold up well, with the exception of Judgement Day and maybe The Day the Law Died (sorry!).

Fungus

The Day The Law Died is bonkers-wonderful and y'know, Bolland. Quite odd to hear a vote against it.

Point is, it's all subjective. I found the Pit tedious after a strong start. Judgement Day was dreadful. You consider quality or it's all a bit pointless.

AlexF

When it comes to Mega-Epic, I agree with the rule fo thumb of 20+ episodes; the question of 'stakes' is a tricky one as the Pit definitely counts, but is pointedly a procedural rather than a 'the whole city is under attack' type thriller.

What about the Mega-Rackets sequence from Progs 207-220ish? There's clearly an overall story about Dredd taking on various mobsters, building to a proper climactic battle, and although it's episodic in nature, that's not really any different from the Cursed Earth or the Judge Child.

Also Dredd/Aliens: Incubus may not quite be 20 epsiodes long, but it's close, and is also pretty good fun if inconsequential.

In terms of continuity-bridging stories, I'd also put in a word for 'Sector House' and 'Beyond the Call of Duty' as essential follow-ups to the Pit, especially if you're curious about what happens to Judge DeMarco.
They're both mini-epics rather than mega-epics in terms of length, though.

marko10174

I loved the mega rackets. The hunters club was pretty epic as well, along with the wally squad which I think was in case files 6. Well I suppose you have the mega epics that are twenty plus pages, and then you have what I would call major story arcs... America, democracy now and young death which are probably my favourite dredd stories. As for mega epics I would pick apocalypse war and Day of chaos.

Magnetica

If you are taking quality into account then the Mega Rackets definitely counts.

I seem to recall though that it came about to give Bolland longer to complete Judge Death Lives. I think I read that somewhere anyway.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 13 October, 2017, 11:29:37 AM
Also Dredd/Aliens: Incubus may not quite be 20 epsiodes long, but it's close, and is also pretty good fun if inconsequential.

Especially if you include the other two parts of 'the Undercity trilogy'.
@jamesfeistdraws

marko10174

Undercity trilogy? What's the three titles to that called? What's this about a mechanismo trilogy? I know there's mechanismo and wilder lands.

radiator

Quote from: marko10174 on 13 October, 2017, 03:54:20 PM

Undercity trilogy? What's the three titles to that called? What's this about a mechanismo trilogy? I know there's mechanismo and wilder lands.

There are three Mechanismo stories - Mechanismo, Mechanismo Returns and Mechanismo: Body Count.

IIRC, Body Count was left out of the original graphic novel collection (probably because it had sub-par artwork) and wasn't reprinted until a few years ago.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: marko10174 on 13 October, 2017, 03:54:20 PM
Undercity trilogy? What's the three titles to that called?

Acknowledged classic Cry of the Werewolf then its direct but belated sequel Out of the Undercity, which introduces the main villian of... Incubus.
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

QuoteThe Day The Law Died is bonkers-wonderful and y'know, Bolland. Quite odd to hear a vote against it.

Least satisfying and most dated of all the megaepics for my money. I know a lot of people love it, but I've never really cared for it, and it isn't one I'd recommend to new readers.

Dandontdare

Is Graveyard Shift too short to be considered epic? That was a long night!

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 13 October, 2017, 07:15:28 PM
(The Day The Law Died) isn't one I'd recommend to new readers.

Yep. Like The Cursed Earth, it's a collection of fun bits that doesn't read well as a continuous narrative*. There's not much from Tharg's first few years that reads well to modern eyes.

I don't know whether that's just because everyone was pitching the language and tone at ten year olds, or if the same friendly rivalry that meant artists started putting more into their work than their pay packets warranted inspired Mills and Wagner to up their game as they entered the eighties.**

But that's fine; it means Wagner gets to rewrite his old stuff for contemporary sensibilities. What's Tour Of Duty but The Day The Law Died with Judge March instead of Judge Fish?

* Which is fair enough. They were written to be enjoyed as single instalments, by kids who probably hadn't read the previous episodes.

** We have Nick Landau, Forbidden Planet, and Titan to thank in either case. Creators credit Forbidden Planet's annual signings with making them realise older kids were reading their work, and the Titan collections meant their efforts were no longer single use (and single pay day) propositions.

Colin YNWA

Pretty much on board with Radiator's list from a page or so back. All the rest are great (on the whole) stories, or series of stories, but a Mega Epic that alone does make. ..

... yes I know late to the party!

Zenith 666

I bloody love Judgement Day.that splash page at the end is still my favourite piece of artwork 2000ad has ever produced.

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 12 October, 2017, 02:33:34 PM
Quote from: DrRocka on 12 October, 2017, 02:17:14 PM
You're missing inferno/purgatory and Helter Skelter too, though many folk round here aren't keen on either. I like 'em, though, some fine Carlos art on both.

Inferno has Psi-Judge Janus in it and she rewrote her time-line at the end of her Faustus storyline (or everything she did was just a daydream she was having in a break room or something), thus making it entirely possible that she erased Inferno from history in the process (or it was all a dream or something).

If only we could erase it from history...