Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Charley's War Printing  (Read 428 times)

Tjm86

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
New Charley's War Printing
« on: 30 October, 2017, 06:09:23 pm »
Seeing the news on this, I have to admit to being a tad torn.  Including the colour spreads makes it a bit tempting but then again the Titan Hardbacks (missing poppy notwithstanding) are a thing of beauty.  Now if Rebellion had decided to release a hardback 100th Anniversary edition with the colour spreads, as a box set even, then I'd have my slightly well worn kidney on eBay in a heartbeat.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
Re: New Charley's War Printing
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2017, 06:23:15 pm »
This the perfect edition for me, happily, having been sorely tempted by the Titans but unable to scrabble up the cash for the first few at the time. Can't wait.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2017, 06:33:31 pm »
I'm afraid the Titan editions, with all their commentary and whatnot, are the perfect ones for me, and they sit happily on the shelf and won't be replaced by new editions any time soon. Colour bits or not.

SBT

maryanddavid

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2017, 10:48:48 pm »
The Titan editions are beauts, but I always though the covers were too academic. They certainly don't advertise the content, lapsed readers could easily pass them by.

13school

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2017, 05:52:47 am »
There's one book of the Titan collections - I think book four but I'd have to check (it's the one with Blue) - where the reproduction seemed a bit below par. Considering the later books looked excellent (as did Titan's one and only omnibus), I'm really hoping these new editions will fix that.

Tjm86

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2017, 08:33:14 am »
Aye, there are some muddy pages in volume 4.  To be fair to Titan, they did print a disclaimer that sourcing the material meant that quality was likely to be somewhat variable.  I'm not sure a new edition would sort that.  Am I right in thinking that comparisons between Titan and Rebellion have not always been favourable?

I do take your point maryanddavid with regard to the covers.  There is a risk with the choice made that fails to convey the dynamism for a new audience, never mind capturing old readers who need a bit of a visual prompt to remind them.  Then again, does it not convey the seriousness of the material?

glassstanley

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 November, 2017, 07:18:57 pm »
Am I right in thinking that comparisons between Titan and Rebellion have not always been favourable?

Yes, you’d be right. And understating the situation!Although, to be fair, it’s mainly the early Rebellion reprints that doubled up the Titan reprints. The Treasury reprints have been well done. Just frustrating that Leopard from Lime Street has a quality reprint, while Bolland Dredd and B&W Slaine... doesn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk