Main Menu

Prog 2057 - A Witch in Time

Started by davidbishop, 11 November, 2017, 12:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Definitely felt like book 1 of something bigger, was put across that way I'm sure. After Stickleback, my favourite of theirs, much preferred to Scarlet Traces anyway.

Richard

It is complete in the sense that it is the whole story so far. He may be priming us for Book 2.

glassstanley

The final ep in the prog had  "Helium will return". This has disappeared from the floppy, along with the weekly credits & story title etc.

I'm resigned to this being another Edginton strip that has been left abandoned half-way through (see also Ampney Crucis). I'd guess there's more money to be found in Strange Traces.

Steve Green

Ian said he was working on Helium but Tiernen was taking over on art duties.

Unless something has changed since he said this at Thought Bubble.

https://youtu.be/8zUMtWZ1vuY?t=1481

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 November, 2017, 05:16:39 PM

OOOH.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

glassstanley

I retract my earlier cynicism! 😁

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 November, 2017, 05:16:39 PM

Unless something has changed since he said this at Thought Bubble.

https://youtu.be/8zUMtWZ1vuY?t=1481

That's workin'

Richard

Quote...along with the weekly credits & story title etc.

This should have been a clue not to read too much into it.

73north

I totally enjoyed Sinister Dexter , this week ( the best story in the prog this week )
Dan Abnett knows how to write a great story , Dredd Black Snow is shaping up as a really good read and different to the usual stuff , I like Slaine and Absalom as well -

HOWEVER - the real daft story that I can't understand and can't wait to end ' INDIGO PRIME '
I pride myself on being a reasonably intelligent person , but this story really makes little sense

- please can we have a new series of Jaegir sooner rather than later ?
and can we have Helium back for the Prog as well ? - as the bagged give away floppy in the Megazine emphasized how long has been the interval between the last story appearing and it still to re-emerge
( Rant over )

Richard

I took the reprint only two years later as a sign that it's coming back soon.

norton canes

Cover: It's good, though I'd be fibbing if I said I didn't think it was a tiny bit too busy. Also it has one of my pet comic art hates, digitally-added motion blur. It's perfectly clear from the superbly drawn pose that Revere is caught in mid-leap. We don't need to see motion blur to reinforce that. Yes, I know 'whizz lines' have been part of comic art since comic art existed but an indication of motion that's drawn onto the page is infinitely preferable to Photoshopped blur.

Sorry, picky.

Dredd: Good stuff, and the plot gets a nice development at the end. I thought some of the action frames were slightly confusing in terms of who was attacking who. And, 'animal hide' that can stop armour piercing rounds? Woah.

Slaine: Let's be honest, compared to the amount of verve and imagination on display in the other strips, this is pretty dreary and uninspired stuff. It looks great courtesy of Mr Davis but I get the sense he doesn't have much to work with, which is why he's ending up drawing the same characters repeatedly in the same pose.

Indigo Prime: I can't say I'm really connecting with this but it's a decent read. It just needs a bit more fizz, if that's not too disconcertingly vague. That Danny Redman line about the football pools sounded so clumsy, sorry. 

SinDex: Love it. The panel that has them firing with silencers had me properly laughing. 'FUT, FUT, FUT'  :D

Absalom: Top Thrill again, this is superb. The replacement eyes... so disturbing, especially with the image right next to the one on the previous page with the bulging eyes, ripe for plucking... ew.

Geoff

I was about to write a few observations myself, then I read what norton canes wrote and... well he's pretty much covered everything that I was thinking. Other than to say again how great the art on Indigo Prime is.

TordelBack

Most things ticking along, but it's Slaine that really nibbles my thrill-biscuit.  There is surely no other comic today that can boast art like that: absolutely mesmerising.  SBD has always been fantastic on everything from SinDex to Stone Island to Ampney Crucis, but this week's episode feels like a new high point to me. 

Plot's not bad either, although I'm disappointed that we ended up with monster-rape again: maybe Pat's going somewhere with this, but it isn't promising.  I'd also be lying if I said I hadn't been hoping for Elfric. 

But that art... glaaargle.

Colin YNWA

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I will take Tordel's baked confectionary metaphor and add to it, by saying the strips in this prog were positively huddled together playing a game of "Thrilly Biscuit".
Dredd, Slaine, SiniDex, Absalom- all were frantically bashing out the Thrills, with an eye on the dormitory door in case Tharg came back.
In such games there always has to be a loser, and I'm afraid Indigo Prime has to munch the digestive this time, but even that can't detract from the overall feeling of being well-spent as you turn the last page.
SBT