Started by Judgedreddrocks, 27 April, 2018, 10:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

I'm looking forward to Deadpool 2.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Woolly

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 03 May, 2018, 02:14:22 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 02 May, 2018, 09:28:09 PM
[spoiler]I'm fairly certain there was a quick shot of the gauntlet looking fucked after Thanos clicked his fingers, but I may be wrong...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]You're not wrong at all - the gauntlet is borked. The condition of the stones? Not clear.

This is what my eldest pointed out to me when I was saying that the time stone will help them get out of this mess.

That's when she casually mentions the quantum realm, and AntMan & the Wasp heading there, and all that.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Just had another viewing - yes, the gauntlet does looked fucked, but Thanos still then uses it to bog off back to wherever. The gauntlet (and indeed the stones) might not be out of the game just yet![/spoiler]

Dandontdare

From the Venom trailer it doesn't look like there's any Spidey involvement at all, they've made him a stand-alone character  Have I missed any hints or Easter eggs that actually link this movie to Spider-Man?

DaveGYNWA

Peas sell. But who's Brian?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 May, 2018, 09:03:11 PM
From the Venom trailer it doesn't look like there's any Spidey involvement at all, they've made him a stand-alone character  Have I missed any hints or Easter eggs that actually link this movie to Spider-Man?

According to a recent Q&A with Joe Russo, Venom is not in the MCU.

Student: "I have two- is the new Venom movie going to be in the MCU?"

Russo: "No that's a Sony property"

https://lrmonline.com/news/joe-russo-confirms-sonys-venom-movie-is-not-a-part-of-the-mcu/

radiator

QuoteI don't know the timeline of Venom but if MCU Spider-Man (Tom Holland) is supposed to be in some way in this or connected to it, it would cause a problem for Marvel since in the MCU Peter Parker is currently a pile of ash and half the universe has been raptured. Venom is released this October – 6 months before Avengers 4 – so for Sony the easiest option would be to sell Venom as pre-Infinity War, if they can even use the MCU as part of their marketing, but I think connecting it to the MCU causes more problems for Marvel they'd rather not have.

I would have assumed that the Sony Spider-movies would be entirely separate from the MCU, but rumours persist of a Tom Holland cameo in Venom, and interestingly, I saw a teaser for their animated movie 'Enter the Spider-verse' on instagram yesterday that was clearly trying to tie in to Infinity War (explicitly mentioning the fact that [spoiler]Peter Parker is dead, and Miles Morales is the new Spider-Man[/spoiler]).

My guess is that the Sony films aren't officially part of the MCU, but will try to make out like they are without infringing on copyright?

Frank

'There are too many people and not enough resources; maybe if we got rid of some of the people ... he's even purpl£!'

2000ad superfans DJ Food and Andrew Harrison on the Bigmouth pop culture podcast, discussing whether Infinity means infinity:

https://audioboom.com/posts/6841890-podcast-102-infinity-war-with-spoilers-janelle-monae-hbo-s-barry-too-slow-to-disco-brasil

Greg M.

Late to the party (only just saw it today), but it takes a lot of cojones to do an Avengers movie [spoiler]that doesn't actually feature the Avengers. (I mean, they're in it individually, but not as an actual cohesive team. Tony and Steve don't even meet for the entire film.)[/spoiler] I'd had plenty of spoilers before seeing it (I'm a school teacher, unless I experience a big pop culture event on the day it occurs, I've no chance of an unspoilered existence) but the appearance of [spoiler]the Red Skull [/spoiler]was still a real jolt. Minor criticism - not enough [spoiler]Steve Rogers. To me, that man is the heart of the franchise - I suspect we'll see a lot more of him (including his certain demise) in the next one.[/spoiler]
Best moment - [spoiler]Rocket's designs on Bucky's arm.[/spoiler]

IndigoPrime

I dunno. I suspect the first point might feel weird to a comics reader, but I suspect most movie goers won't realise to any great extent. As for Rocket Racoon, he's been really great in the MCU, although his voice sounded off in this one.

radiator

Isn't the lineup of Scarlet Witch, Cap, Vision and Falcon (that we see teased at the end of Age of Ultron and in action at the beginning of Civil War) essentially Avengers 2.0?

Greg M.

I haven't watched Civil War in a while, but isn't the Avengers as a team effectively defunct after that? Certainly Cap's lot are ex-members: my perspective may be clouded by knowledge of the typical status quo for the comic book team, but if there is still a legitimate Avengers, it's presumably the government-sanctioned pro-Sokovia Accords people. None of this is a criticism, and I may be misremembering details - I just find it interesting that there isn't an actual 'official' Avengers team in the film beyond [spoiler]Iron Man and Spidey.[/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

Quite enjoyed that. Sure it's pretty much one big action piece but thinking of it as finale to a 40+ hour mini series helped me rationalise that. Minor quibbles:
- not enough Cap
- too much Guardians (didn't like GOTG2)
- Didn't buy it when that character gave up the soul stone
- overpowered Iron Man (Green Lantern was my first thought too)

I had thought a resolution might involve nanotechnology as the scratch was explicitly mentioned but then realised it wasn't going to resolve in this movie; had forgotten it was two parter.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 May, 2018, 12:58:22 AM
- Didn't buy it when that character gave up the soul stone

No one gave up the soul stone; it required a sacrifice to obtain it. [spoiler]Red Skull (now unemployed)[/spoiler] was a mere guide to seekers.

Tiplodocus

Gave up the location of the soul stone is what I meant. I know the pressure the character was under and how they felt guilt at treatment of other character but, given that ten minutes previously they had been willing to sacrifice themselves, I didn't entirely buy it.

It did fit with the general theme of sacrifice actually being pretty hard to follow through on though, I guess.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Pyroxian

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 May, 2018, 09:29:35 AM
...given that ten minutes previously they had been willing to sacrifice themselves, I didn't entirely buy it.

Surely they wanted to be sacrificed as they knew they wouldn't be able to resist Thanos?