Main Menu

New Rogue Trooper Film!!

Started by Beeks, 15 July, 2018, 06:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

The Traitor General is the antithesis of Rogue Trooper, and that's what made him, for me anyway, a good villain. Rogue is loyal to his comrades, saves them and selflessly helps others including civilians targeted by raiders while the TG does it all for himself becoming a Raider Leader in the Marauders after his escape from Buzzard 3. Batman has his Joker, Judge Dredd Judge Death and Rogue his arch enemy is the Traitor, his dark mirror opposite. Hasn't Rogue himself betrayed the Souther cause by going Awol in the first place? What's your price for betrayal? Everyone has there price after all.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Steve Green

I like Magnam as a villain.

Could quite easily see him as a blue R Lee Ermey type leading the GIs into suicidal situations before being chipped, then turning up later in his gun/chip combination.

Dash Decent

I hope we see how much of a slog it is for normal soldiers to fight in all their gear, to really emphasise the advantage the GIs have being unencumbered - to the point of even going shirtless.

I have no problem with Rogue, Gunnar, Helm and Bagman having those names, as long as it doesn't continue into the Kovert, Magnam etc territory which just pushes it too far.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 July, 2018, 05:54:00 PM
As the Quartz Massacre was progressing, surely there'd be scores of G.I.s removing the chips of the dead and inserting them into equipment slots all over the place. I always wondered what became of all those bio-chipped weapons and why Rogue apparently abandoned them. Maybe a good story would be Rogue trying to rescue as many chips as possible (not only from "death" but also an enemy retrieval squad

I'm sure there was a story - perhaps the Black Flame novel, "Blood Relatives" - which had the Norts retrieving biochips for their own equivalent of the GI programme.  The 60 seconds out of slot rule helps ensure there can't be too many around (equipment eventually runs out of power, I suppose).  I also imagine Bagman might have some kind of special frame stored that could hold a small multiple of further chips, though if so I suppose we would have seen Rogue use it - at least when temporarily pulling the chips from their usual slots.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JayzusB.Christ

I liked the idea of dodgy, Mark 1 versions of GIs, like Alan Moore's deformed Nort equivalents, as well as his normal-human-spliced-with-supergenes Souther prototypes.  I also liked Pete Milligan and John Smith showing Rogue and the chips doing some very morally questionable things - it's war, and everyone involved is a killer.

A bit of a tangent, but I really liked that Tor Cyan Rogue-era-flashback story where Cyan returned to a beautiful, peaceful Nu Earth; and was saddened to see it trashed again in a future storyline.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: Dash Decent on 20 July, 2018, 02:20:15 PM
I hope we see how much of a slog it is for normal soldiers to fight in all their gear, to really emphasise the advantage the GIs have being unencumbered - to the point of even going shirtless.

This is another key aspect, IMHO. Rogue's edge should be as much about being free of all that gear (and its associated concerns) as it is engineered strength etc.: this is the environment he was made to live in, everyone else is a deep-sea diver.

Leigh S

Indeed - Rogue should be (from a Nort point of view) a character from a horror movie.

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 July, 2018, 03:11:12 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 20 July, 2018, 02:20:15 PM

This is another key aspect, IMHO. Rogue's edge should be as much about being free of all that gear (and its associated concerns) as it is engineered strength etc.: this is the environment he was made to live in, everyone else is a deep-sea diver.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Will the classic comic Uniform for Rogue Trooper be curtailed to a certain degree? Judge Dredd had to have his 80's shoulder pads reduced for the 2012 film version and quite right to so will Rogue Trooper be wearing a Flak Vest or Body Armour of some kind? Running around bare-chested in a Warzone has 'low survivability threshold' written all over it, so I assume the Film Rogue will incorporate some features from the Comic, but not all.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Steve Green

I'm not that fussed TBH.

In the short, Helm had a top which helped a lot providing some protection with stunts, but they decided to go with shirtless Rogue since he wasn't rolling down a rock outcrop and to make him a bit different.

As he's got a tougher skin, I guess it doesn't really help much in story as protection.

I imagine there might be a mixture, particularly if you need to identify multiple GIs quickly.

I think Bagman would need to be slimmed down a bit, the original design is a bit of a boxy liability for stunts.

Magnetica

I think if he was wearing a gilet that would look ok.

Overall I am not sure that many changes to the uniform are needed. He has fairly regulation army  trousers, boots and helmet (biochip slot apart) anyway, so he looks pretty much like the soldiers in a load of war films. Apart from being blue, which is  the one thing I assume they won't change given Jason Kingsley's comments about that being a red line.

TordelBack

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 July, 2018, 10:39:07 AM
I think Bagman would need to be slimmed down a bit, the original design is a bit of a boxy liability for stunts.

They could do worse than taking a lead from the IDW version, both in look and concept.

Steve Green

I've only skimmed one issue - have the collection on order though.

The one cover I did see steered a bit too much towards looking like a turtle shell though.

TordelBack

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 July, 2018, 11:45:16 AM
The one cover I did see steered a bit too much towards looking like a turtle shell though.

I was about to say "Like Helm, you mean?", but then I remembered there are other heroes with half-shells out there that you might want to avoid overlap with.

Steve Green

Helm's supposed to be more like a cobra/snake according to a chat I had with Dave on the Planet Replicas stand at a con.

AlexF

Don't think any film producer I've heard of would be sad to have their main character running around topless for a whole movie, regardless of whether it makes sense. Six-packs sell tickets!