Main Menu

droids you've forgotten

Started by sheridan, 04 September, 2018, 08:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Put Duncan Fegredo down as "the one that got away" for me - absolutely loved his Dredds and was pretty sad he wondered off after such a short stint

Jim_Campbell

I can't believe we've got onto the second page without someone doing some variation on a 'not the droids Tharg was looking for' joke.

You've let me down, you've let the forum down, but most of all, you've let yourselves down.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

norton canes

I'm sure someone will know this - there was an artist who was hyped up in a Nerve Centre some time around the late 80's, got one Slaine Star-Scan and a Future Shock to his name then was never seen again...

Heath C Ackley

Martin Griffiths. He illustrated a couple of future shocks - including mine - as well as doing the DVD cover art for the X-Men animated series from way back. I met him at MCM Birmingham a few years ago. A decent bloke.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

sheridan

Quote from: Heath C Ackley on 06 September, 2018, 02:33:24 PM
Martin Griffiths. He illustrated a couple of future shocks - including mine - as well as doing the DVD cover art for the X-Men animated series from way back. I met him at MCM Birmingham a few years ago. A decent bloke.

I gather belated congratulations are due to you for making your Commando debut?

abelardsnazz

Sonny Steelgrave
Keef Ripley
LJ Silver
Emberton

Coat I'll get.

Heath C Ackley

Thank you Sheridan. I have few more in the works including something special for the Armistice Day issues.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

sheridan

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 06 September, 2018, 06:52:25 PM
Sonny Steelgrave
Keef Ripley
LJ Silver
Emberton

Coat I'll get.

You missed out TB Grover and  Q Twerk.

rogue69

IndigoPrime

One-time Newsfield director and cover artist (for the dearly missed Crash and Zzap!64, among others) Oliver Frey, who painted a solitary pin-up of Fr1day, and then did nothing else whatsoever for 2000 AD. Frey elsewhere had some comic stuff under his belt – Newsfield's own Terminal Man, but also Dan Dare. His airbrushed style would have been interesting on Rogue, and a number of other strips. Alas...

(I recall back in the day when 2000 AD was running third-party stuff, I tried to hook up Rebellion and Frey to get Terminal Man into the Meg as reprint. Sadly, it never came to anything, although Terminal Man did finally get a print run through Thalamus Books.)

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 06 September, 2018, 09:19:06 PM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 06 September, 2018, 06:52:25 PM
Sonny Steelgrave
Keef Ripley
LJ Silver
Emberton

Coat I'll get.

You missed out TB Grover and  Q Twerk.

How can TB Grover be a forgotten droid? "He" was credited with a huge number of strips. If you are going to include him, then you had better list John Howard as well.

norton canes

Quote from: Heath C Ackley on 06 September, 2018, 02:33:24 PM
Martin Griffiths. He illustrated a couple of future shocks - including mine - as well as doing the DVD cover art for the X-Men animated series from way back. I met him at MCM Birmingham a few years ago. A decent bloke

Ah cool, thanks. Weirdly his Slaine Star Scan doesn't seem to be on Barney's Star Scan page. Last night I had a look at the back covers of all my progs from that era and couldn't see it. Couldn't be bothered going through the inside pages - is that where it was, does anyone know?

TordelBack

Given the huge amount of work he did for the Prog (and some for the Meg), Paul Johnson seems strangely forgotten: 10 covers alone!  Not his fault they made him draw the unreadable Judge Janus.

But for really strange one, I'd have to go for Ed Hillyer (aka Ilya), a giant of British indie comics, but with only 1 Tharg credit to his name - "Carrion Carnage" in the 1988 Love/Hate Mega-Special Prog).

Then there's Phil Elliott, another indie legend, who drew possibly the most Alan Grant of all Alan Grant Dredds, 'The Gaia Conspiracy', sadly infamous for its teeny tiny Lawscooter, but otherwise looking pretty fine.  More recently he slapped colours onto Paul Grist's Demon Nik, a Tordelfave.

Dandontdare

I'm sure they are plenty more I've forgotten, but I can't remember who they are

Leigh S

There was an artist called Mark (Marc(?)) Dunn I think who I am sure drew a Slaine pin up image thing - he also did a few illos for Warlock magazine?

Tell me I'm not imagining this!