Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: Frank on 17 September, 2018, 01:13:48 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 17 September, 2018, 12:10:33 PM
Dredd leaving Linus in the Cursed Earth also seemed strange

Not sure this made much sense either, but there's precedent:

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 September, 2018, 01:17:03 PM
Yeah, that's how I read it too

Dredd left Booth in the Cursed Earth after considering that he had served a third of his 100 year suspended animation sentence and put him to work on the farm to give something back i.e. to rebuild a little of the world he had destroyed.

Plus he was in the middle of a mercy mission and presumably didn't want any passengers. (Although there would have been nothing to stop him going back for him later).

Linus, on the other hand is a current perp, having been the instigator of a plot against the Judges. Dredd doesn't even leave him in the charge of someone in the Cursed Earth, he just literally leaves him there. What is to stop him from further plots against the Judges? Presumably nothing as I guess we shall see in later installments.

Dark Jimbo

Doesn't the precedent mean it makes even less sense?! Booth later came back at the head of an army and explicitly taunted Dredd about what a terrible and ineffectual judgement he'd made by simply leaving him in the Cursed Earth - why would Dredd go and make the same mistake a second time?
@jamesfeistdraws

Bolt-01

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 September, 2018, 02:27:37 PM
Gotta say it's a real thrill to see two local Belfast lads and Belfast Sector 13 group members: Mark McCann and Adam Brown having a future shock printed this week.  Adam has done two covers recently also for the Megazine. Well done guys. Z

I had a chat with Mark at Lawgiver too and he never mentioned any of this! Well done lads, it is nice to have a new pair of droids commissioned.

#PraiseTharg.

CalHab

Exactly. Having already established that a live Booth would be a rallying point for anti-judge groups, Dredd leaves his judge-killing biological son alive. It makes absolutely no sense.

Staz Johnson

The confusion regarding Dredd leaving Linus in the Cursed Earth could be my fault, sorry. Obviously I'm not the writer, so I could be completely wrong here, but the way I read it was that Dredd was leaving Linus to bleed to death, he's virtually had his hand blown off & there's a massive pool of blood seeping into the ground around him. I probably should have made that clear to Abby Bulmer because there isn't as much blood evident on Linus in those panels when he's running from Dredd as I intended, but as I say, that's my fault not hers. I could be completely wrong, tho, & there may be plans to bring him back.

Magnetica

Wow - it's not often you get the artist replying to our inane witterings (speaking for myself anyway). Thanks for taking the time.

No its probably my fault - you did indeed depict Linus sitting in a pool of blood, and had clearly show his hand being ripped apart on page 3, and then blood pouring from it on page 5.

I had just assumed that he would somehow survive. It is also we are used to Dredd dispensing instant "justice". But your explanation makes sense, and actually that is more cruel.

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 September, 2018, 03:32:26 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 17 September, 2018, 03:16:14 PM
Dredd left Booth in the Cursed Earth after considering that he had served a third of his 100 year suspended animation sentence ... Linus, on the other hand is a current perp ...

Doesn't the precedent mean it makes even less sense?!

Staz Johnson folding his many angles down into four-dimensions to intervene in human affairs makes the point irrelevant, but I was saying Dredd's initial decision regarding Booth didn't make much sense.

Thematically, it's sort of neat*, but the Pat Mills of even four or five years later (and definitely the Pat Mills of today) would have gleefully dispatched the genocidal wee prick without a second thought.

* Which is good enough for me. Apart from the fact Pat Mills is a genius, THAT WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED is my least favourite school of criticism. As long as something's fun, I couldn't care less. It's all just stuff made up by a man for money - even Faulkner.  Not a dig at the wonderful Magnetica; just my personal preference

Proudhuff

I took it as a death sentence... a painful slow one with echoes of his dad.
But yeah, the gate is still open for a rescue mission by some fanatics and Booth as a rallying point for the democrats, or  taken in by a big-chinned family and he leads the Eustace Clan against Dredd, lots of room  for a bit of Dredd-taunting by a baddy...always a good thing Shirley?
DDT did a job on me

geronimo

[spoiler]SPOILERS, SWEETIES!!! [/spoiler]

Jim_Campbell

Spoilers should be assumed in prog review threads...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Leigh S

Not sure if it was having a Wagner masterclass hit the mat at the same time in the Meg, but the ending of Dredd fell flat for me.

As others have said, the Stupid Gun served no purpose  - the idea of stupifying people in order to create more  Booth supporters would have been fun, or just used to launch an attack on all those intellectuals and exprets "to bring em down to our level", but nothing.

Dredd's reference to "End your days out here like your dad" suggests he assumes Linus will survive. Dredd also knows the reporters (who should hve been cubed on their very first appearance!) have footage of Dredd confessing that, not only did Booth survive until recently, but that his son exists?  Way to soothe the Sons of Booth problem!

Sons of Booth is a great idea, but the execution has not worked for me at all

Geoff

The stand out for me was the Future Shock. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed one of these...really good stuff - writing and art.

The rest...well, bring on prog 2100!

geronimo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 September, 2018, 06:13:56 PM

So why have a 'blackout' option? Up to recently posters were sure to cover the spoilers, lately some folk just seem to not bother.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: geronimo on 18 September, 2018, 09:38:25 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 September, 2018, 06:13:56 PM

So why have a 'blackout' option? Up to recently posters were sure to cover the spoilers, lately some folk just seem to not bother.

The spoiler tags are used extensively in film and tv threads (because they often deal with multiple films/series and someone might not have seen a specific movie/episode) but in the Prog review threads, the assumption is that you've read the prog.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.