Main Menu

Dredd busted.

Started by atp, 01 August, 2014, 03:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

That's pretty damn scary and I mean that in the best way possible. Can't wait to see more progress on this.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Stu101

Quote from: atp on 14 August, 2014, 03:30:26 PM

This is looking excellent! Something kinda odd seeing Dredd in his civvies though, Nice checked shirt to go out on the town with.  :lol:
Will be stunning when it's finished!

atp

Quote from: Stu101 on 14 August, 2014, 07:42:51 PM
Something kinda odd seeing Dredd in his civvies though, Nice checked shirt to go out on the town with.  :lol:

Those are Joe's PJs, he also takes 'Perp fear of the law' air freshener and a plush MC1 book of law soft toy into the sleep machine when he has his afternoon nap.
The freedom of choice should be compulsory

atp

Got some work done on the shoulder pads, the eagle is proving to be a bit of a problem. I'm really just forming body filler as best as possible while it's workable. Once it sets and cools down, I am using rasps and files to persuade it into shape. Trouble is the fumes and dust again, so I've ordered in some clay. When that arrives I'll sculpt the eagle separately and make a mould, then cast it in resin.

Fungus

Love the animated gif  :)
There's a Dredd movie by Harryhausen in there somewhere. That's the way to film comics...

atp

Quote from: Fungus on 24 August, 2014, 04:39:32 PM
Love the animated gif  :)
There's a Dredd movie by Harryhausen in there somewhere. That's the way to film comics...

You could be right.  :)

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: atp on 23 August, 2014, 04:00:52 PM
Got some work done on the shoulder pads, the eagle is proving to be a bit of a problem. I'm really just forming body filler as best as possible while it's workable. Once it sets and cools down, I am using rasps and files to persuade it into shape. Trouble is the fumes and dust again, so I've ordered in some clay. When that arrives I'll sculpt the eagle separately and make a mould, then cast it in resin.

I'm loving watching this being created.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

atp

Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 25 August, 2014, 04:45:20 PM

I'm loving watching this being created.

Cheers, that's encouraging to hear. Glad you're enjoying the 'show'. 

atp

Clay arrived and I managed to get an afternoon's sculpting done on the eagle. First I cut off the old eagle and ground most of it away to make way for the clay, while keeping the base for size. I much prefer this version of the eagle compared to my first attempt. The clay is a pleasure to work with, no dust and fumes to worry about and the work flow is much quicker. Normally I always use a clay or sculpey, but I thought given the full size nature of this beast, and with strength in mind I would try shaping body filler directly, never again. When I get some more spare time I'll mould and cast this eagle and fix it back onto the bust.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Spartan_6

Stunning work! You sir, have mad skills!
-- Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination. - Oscar Wilde --

judda fett

Lovely bust, looking forward to some more progress shots.

atp

Had a good run this time around, managed to mould  the eagle cast it and re-fix it to old stony face. Once that was done I really saw it all coming together.

I must admit I'm  enjoying this sculpt more now that I have stopped trying to force body filler into shape, over all it's faster sculpting in clay then moulding  & casting. I also like the whole tactile element of using clay.

Standing back a taking a fresh look at this bust I have decided that the collar needs to be re-worked, I had originally wanted it partially open. Dredd would no doubt report himself for inappropriate dress conduct, so it's my next area of work.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and am enthusiastic to get this sculpture finished.

Link Prime

Coming along nicely!

I-Spy some original art on your studio wall- what have you got???

atp

Quote from: Link Prime on 02 September, 2014, 04:38:28 PM
I-Spy some original art on your studio wall- what have you got???

You do indeed, indeed  you do.

Judge Armitage double page spread Artist: Sean Phillips, Megazine vol 1 issue 14

The Bounty Hunters  Page 1, 2000AD Prog 253, Artist: John Higgins

Judge Dredd - Lawman Of The Future Issue 9 Judge Death page 2 Artist: Alex Ronald.

Proudhuff

amazing stuff, loving that scowl.
DDT did a job on me