Main Menu

Dredd busted.

Started by atp, 01 August, 2014, 03:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: atp on 03 September, 2014, 12:04:00 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 02 September, 2014, 04:38:28 PM
I-Spy some original art on your studio wall- what have you got???

You do indeed, indeed  you do.

Judge Armitage double page spread Artist: Sean Phillips, Megazine vol 1 issue 14

The Bounty Hunters  Page 1, 2000AD Prog 253, Artist: John Higgins

Judge Dredd - Lawman Of The Future Issue 9 Judge Death page 2 Artist: Alex Ronald.

Good stuff.
Post 'em up!

atp

Quote from: Link Prime on 02 September, 2014, 04:38:28 PM
Good stuff.
Post 'em up!

Yes sir.  Right away sir.  Begging your pardon sir, but where should I Post 'em up!
The freedom of choice should be compulsory

atp

Not had a lot of spare time to work on the sculpt for a while, so I was glad to get a couple of hours in to rework the collar and start on the uniform zip.
First I made up each fastener separately, then stuck them to some masking tape for a trial run to see how the zip would look.

Initially I was quite  pleased with it, but something looked off, even though this was a rough trial it just didn't look right.

After looking at different prog covers featuring Dredd I decided to have another go.

Using a simple oblong shape this time, again on tape and trialled, to me it looks better straight away as it represents the comic illustrated look that I'm aiming for.
With that sorted the complete zip and hopefully the chain is my next move.

The only different fastener version that springs to mind is Greg Staples ZigZag Zipper. Try saying that when you've sunk a few beers.

atp

Just wanted to add a thanks for all the comments and viewers / watchers so far, they are a great encouragement, and very much appreciated. Cheers.

Stu101

Great work so far, very interesting seeing the 'making of' before the final piece is finished. Love the level of detail you're going to. Do you have a venue in mind for when old stoney face is completed? I'm thinking in the entrance of a shopping centre, or a cinema on the release of Dredd2.

Link Prime

Quote from: atp on 10 September, 2014, 12:37:13 PM
where should I Post 'em up!

Why the 2000AD Original Art thread old chap- the forums finest! (Unless you already have and I've blindly missed em).

Love checking in on this thread too- it's a fantastic sculpt, I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

atp

Posted by: Stu101
« on: 13 September, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »   

Do you have a venue in mind for when old stoney face is completed? I'm thinking in the entrance of a shopping centre, or a cinema on the release of Dredd2.

If only that were the case, nope afraid  it's judicial duties in the dining room for old stoney face.

l got to work on the chain, I had considered buying a length of chain from a hardware store or garden supplies but that would be too easy.

For the links I used 4mm acrylic rod, heated with a hot air gun and then bent over a suitably sized drill bit. After burning my fingers and swearing a few times I cut the shaped acrylic into half links.

Next all that needed to be done was to superglue each half and attach Dredd's badge, then see how it looked. I have fixed it in place now.

Looking at this sculpt as it is now I felt that I could see the end in sight, a bit of tidying up and finishing some details, paint and all done, however my gorgeous wife has put a stop to that idea, I'll fill you in after the next lot of pictures.

So what has my babe gone and done, well when I told her that I would make a shelf to stand the bust on, she said a full sized statue would look "wicked" and that I should get a move on with it.

With that she set about ordering more materials. I am bloody blessed. So here goes nothing, to be honest not really sure how I feel about the prospect, but I can't pass on an offer like that.

Only thing is do I continue to post in this thread , or do I start a fresh one. Hope you are all up for the journey.

COMMANDO FORCES

Bloody hell, there's a lot more going into this than I would've thought possible. The work on the zip and chain is crazy stuff. Keep it up :thumbsup:

atp

He now has legs ??.

Arms are next. I've only had a few spare hours a week so far, so I'm hoping to rearrange my time to really get going on this. Damn those bill's

IAMTHESYSTEM

Mutant/Alien/Arms Dealer behind you Dredd! It's cube time!! Dredd busted is looking great and psychedelic at the same time.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Frank

atp

Quote from: sauchie co-op on 28 September, 2014, 12:53:42 PM

So we finally know what Dredd looks like. :lol: Nice one Sauchie

Seamus's chin is a bit Bollocks though. ;)

atp

OK,  I was going to start on the armature for old stoney face's arms, but I found myself with nearly a whole day spare so got some work done on the legs.

I genuinely did not even consider making anything other than a bust when I started this project, but I am enjoying doing this sculpt as it's the first time I have sculpted anything on this scale.
Although I have made a full sized Dalek, which is more of a construction job than a sculpture.

Sorry some of the photo's are a bit blurred, I think it's due to the fluorescent light.

Darren Stephens

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Dandontdare

That's really coming along - have you decided what pose you are going for with the arms?