Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

The black leather and fishnet-vested German acapella group in Pitch Perfect 2 are called Das Sound Machine. DSM: there are lines about the girls having to beatDSM or how they can never beDSM.

Possibly the least audience appropriate observation I've made on this forum, and that's including all the ones about Derrida.

Spikes

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 December, 2018, 03:14:06 AM
I really need to watch breaking glass - I love Hazel O'Connor. Until I watched that vid (followed by Will you) I'd forgotten about the movie, but what a couple of fantastic songs (though I do remember sneaking a look at one of my big brother's collection of bongo mags that featured her in its 'celebrity nudes' section - an old glamour shoot that had her posing on packing crates in some dusty attic *nostalgic sigh*)

Always had a soft spot for Breaking Glass - it's cheesy and overwrought in equal measure, but I loves it.

Hazel was touring the UK recently, and I caught her at the Engine Shed in Lincoln. Great night - A showing of the film, plus a Q&A afterwards and then she performed songs from the film, and elsewhere, for over an hour.

You certainly get yer moneys worth with Hazel.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: I, Cosh on 22 January, 2019, 05:13:09 PM
"Thread Zero" is Scojo!

Some of it is... some of it is my other username Bone Machine.

Don't know how that happened - I think I was changing my screen name at the exact moment that Scojo got his final ban. Or something.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

norton canes

In The A.B.C. Warriors, Zippo's head is shaped like... yeah.

Also, having picked up a few back progs in a charity shop last weekend, I've just realized that the bunch of seven 'evil' Volgan robots with a grudge against each A.B.C. Warrior, that featured in last year's stories, were first introduced ten years ago.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 22 January, 2019, 05:32:55 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 22 January, 2019, 05:13:09 PM
"Thread Zero" is Scojo!
Some of it is... some of it is my other username Bone Machine.

Don't know how that happened - I think I was changing my screen name at the exact moment that Scojo got his final ban. Or something.
That's even weirder, but does make sense of why I've seen your avatar in there before.
We never really die.

norton canes

COMPU 73E

Is supposed to say ... 'Computee'?

Hmm. Maybe not.

JayzusB.Christ

Given that The Boys was post 9/11 and set in an alternative universe, this was either a beautiful coincidence or, more likely, a piece of dialogue / scenery juxtaposing worthy of Alan Moore.

Went way over my head the first time round.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

A.Cow

I was born 10 years too late to get this cracking reference from Prog 454:

Followed-up with a flooring-focused double-tap.  Quality!

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

Quote from: A.Cow on 30 January, 2019, 05:01:26 AM
"You'll be on the carpet for this!" - Love it!

And that the Judge in question is named Wilton.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

ming

Quote from: Dash Decent on 30 January, 2019, 09:35:42 AM
Quote from: A.Cow on 30 January, 2019, 05:01:26 AM
"You'll be on the carpet for this!" - Love it!

And that the Judge in question is named Wilton.

Ah, that's the stuff that makes this thread shine so bright...  Love it!

WhizzBang

I have just noticed today that Sonic Youth have a track called Skip Tracer. Does 'Skip Tracer' mean something or did Sonic Youth make it up?

broodblik

Quote from: WhizzBang on 02 February, 2019, 03:22:45 PM
I have just noticed today that Sonic Youth have a track called Skip Tracer. Does 'Skip Tracer' mean something or did Sonic Youth make it up?

Skip tracing is an industry term used to describe the process of locating a fugitive that can't be found at their place of residence or usual hangouts. "Skip" refers to the person being searched for (derived from the term "to skip town") and "tracing" meaning the act of locating the skip.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

WhizzBang

Thanks. The strip name probably has nothing to do with SY then.