Main Menu

2000ad All female creative teams in 2018 Summer Special

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 February, 2018, 06:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 February, 2018, 08:10:56 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 09 February, 2018, 07:23:00 PMThe other question is, why are they not pursuing careers?
Perhaps it hasn't occurred to them that they can. That might sound absurd, but you must be mindful of the ongoing bullshit women go through when it comes to careers. My daughter's already had this (and straightforward sexism) lobbed at her. She's three.

That's a fair point.  Careers guidance was crap before the Tories got back in power.  Now it's just non-existent so I guess that problem is solved.  The world of work these days just seems to be designed to perpetuate certain power structures and keep as many people in their place as possible.  That's been discussed to death over on the politics thread.

In terms of this, it would be interesting to see what is actually planned for it.  I'm also looking forward to using it to springboard my girls into tooth and get them away from MLP.

Professor Bear

To be fair, comics were never taught as a viable career option, and I've never once heard of any HE educators who didn't look down their nose at the form unless it was as a source of material for ripping off - my own experience peaked when I was told "comics aren't art" by the tutor of my textiles module.

Women getting into manga also makes sense when you consider that comics have a longstanding fandom that has a certain hostility towards women, while manga is a newer fandom in the West that hasn't had a chance to entrench its stupidity despite manga/anime's problems with diversity and representation being just as bad - if not worse - than in western comics.
I imagine it also helps that all the men who can draw manga don't spend their time telling stories, they spend it doing Deviantart commissions of Sonic and Knuckles gaying off, leaving women to claim the field.

The Adventurer

To be fair, there are big deal women creators in manga; Rumiko Takahashi (Ranma 1/2), Naoko Takeuchi (Sailor Moon), and Kazue Katō (Blue Exorcist) to name a few for example; where you really would need to stretch to find equivalent stars in English comics.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

marko10174

This is a comment that was posted on the 2000ad facebook page. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Whilst I'm all for the empowerment of women in society, I've always felt that an important part of 2000ad's soul has been it's anti establishment, fuck off to the mainstream attitude. So in buying into the 2018 year of the women token societal gesture is in essence, conforming to popular cultural opinion and pressure. Doesn't seem very punk/fuck you, to me? Thoughts?

Jim_Campbell

I have thoughts, but I'm on my best behaviour, so I won't share them. If anyone else wants to step up and tell you you're a fucking idiot, I'll be over there applauding.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Ah sweet jeebus, if you couldn't laugh, you'd cry.  That's punk now,  is it?  Supporting the status quo? 

(There's a good music joke in there somewhere ,  but I'm too pissed to tease it out).

jacob g

Quote from: marko10174 on 10 February, 2018, 10:07:20 PMCouldn't have put it better myself.

(...)

Thoughts?

Thoughts? You both don't know shit about being punk.
margaritas ante porcos

Apestrife

Quote from: marko10174 on 10 February, 2018, 10:07:20 PM

This is a comment that was posted on the 2000ad facebook page. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Whilst I'm all for the empowerment of women in society, I've always felt that an important part of 2000ad's soul has been it's anti establishment, fuck off to the mainstream attitude. So in buying into the 2018 year of the women token societal gesture is in essence, conforming to popular cultural opinion and pressure. Doesn't seem very punk/fuck you, to me? Thoughts?

I find it to be quite a punk/fuck you to establishment that 2000AD actually doing something. Usually, most of it is just a bunch of talk. A bunch of "Of course I am a..." and "We all need to...".

Perhaps I'm not a fan of the headlines the specials been given (since I'm a bit worried that they could have the opposite effect), but then perhaps I'm not the demographic they're geared towards either. I hope it brings new readers as well as creators (the first special got some really interesting talent attached to it) to the prog.

Modern Panther

QuoteWhilst I'm all for the empowerment of women in society...

...Is up there with "I'm not racist, but.. "

Why is it important that women are encouraged to get involved in comics, and women creators should be better represented in the industry? Because people with opinions as utterly fucking moronic as this still exist, and are allowed to spout forth their views on social media.  In harking back to an era when creators women weren't represented, you're not being punk, you're being small and afraid.

GordonR

QuoteWhilst I'm all for the empowerment of women in society...

This is right up there with your previous schtick of "while I've no problem with gay people....I'm just going to object to any and every positive depiction of them in my favourite genre media."

You're a disengenious coward, with neither the guts nor the honesty to say what you really mean.

Professor Bear

Apropos of nothing, "conservatism is the new punk rock" is a failed trope proposed by far right Youtube conspiracy theorist and BRAIN FORCE PLUS spokesman Paul Joseph Watson, who among other things believes that climate change isn't real, the Boston Marathon bombing was a false flag, the Sandy Hook Massacre didn't happen, that Black Lives Matter is a terrorist organisation, and describes anti-fascists as "degenerate scum."
Yeah, 2000ad really needs to be more like that guy.

M.I.K.

Quote from: marko10174 on 10 February, 2018, 10:07:20 PM

Aside from everything else wrong with this... the only reason 2000 AD appeared when it did was because Star Wars was coming out the same year. The first issues featured Dan Dare, a Rollerball analogue and a story about a technology-enhanced secret agent bearing an uncanny resemblance to Lee Majors.

Regardless of edgy attitude, it was mainstream-aping and bandwagon-jumping from day one.

Old Tankie

I don't know what stream it is, but I do know it's the right thing to do, well done 2000AD.

Smith

I dont want to be that guy,but this seems like a mercenary gimmick to grab a bit of mainstream attention,tbh.

Old Tankie

Well, hopefully the gimmick will work, why shouldn't my granddaughter have the same opportunity as my son.