Main Menu

Prog 1492: Ghoul Britannia!

Started by Dark Jimbo, 12 June, 2006, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

I always thought Gypsy meant tea, Gypsy Rose Lee.

Anyway what kind of slang makes things even longer?
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

House of Usher

"Gypsy warning"?? Never heard of it, I didn't even no there was a cockney rhyming sland for 'morning'. Silly sods...

Any, a very good Prog, if not as much to my taste as the one before ("the director's cut with extra dinosaurs", to quote Father Ted).

Judge Dredd did the job, but as has been said, perps who shoot at Dredd don't get second chances. Boing rope must be very clever stuff if it can anticipate the height of the building from which it is being dropped.

Harry Kipling (deceased) lacked any impact whatsoever before thfinal panel, but Kipling's chit-chat and delirium were elegantly written.

The VCs - Yeah, that was in the Prog too, wasn't it? Um...

The Read Seas Shoots and scores! I liked the first page best with the battlefield strewn with dinosaur corpses.

London Falling Good stuff. No idea where this is going and why, but I don't care, ecause it's very enjoyable. For McNulty's benefit, no, it's not all to do with London folklore. Jenny Greenteeth is a Yorkshire bogeyman - it said so in the Wikipedia link James came up with; and Struwwelpeter and the Tailor are German or something, invented by Heinrich Hoffman.

I'm sure Si could tell us more, but I don't think we want him to at this stage in the proceedings, do we?

Good Prog. At least 7/10, maybe even 8/10.
STRIKE !!!

Dudley

(battle in space leads to the ship being forced down and a battle to the death across some alien planetoid with a both sides pulling surpises out of their sleeves, as the balance tips one way and then the other, leading to a rollicking action packed conclusion setting things up nicely for the next series)

You'd think, wouldn't you?  But no, this is the final series.  So all of this crap is going to be wound up in a couple of badly mangled edpisodes crammed full of exposition and characters who you vaguely remember seeing in the first series about twenty years back.

IndigoPrime

:: Anyway what kind of slang makes things even longer?

Cockney rhyming slang, clearly. I've never really understood it myself, and no-one seems to have a definitive answer for how the phenomenon began.

As for London Calling, I think I'm going to stop reading it and read it collected once it's done, because I think it'll work better that way. Does anyone know how many parts it had?

Overall, it sort of reminds me of Hellboy in some ways, and I rather like the art (although someone like John Ridgeway would have been an interesting alternative to illustrate it).

Regarding the rest of the Prog, I rather enjoyed it this week. Aside from VCs, which plods along (and I really, really hope ends soon?for good), everything else was readable and entertaining enough. Dredd had a few wobbles, but I'm still enjoying the story, and both Red Seas and the toff zombie are engaging.

House of Usher

One more thought on that excellent cover: "Gadzooks!" sounds a bit medieval to me.

I think "Egad!" would have been more idiomatic, even if it's equally archaic.
STRIKE !!!

Dom-2

'London Falling' will be five parts I believe, hopefully it'll return for more...

Emperor

You'd think, wouldn't you? But no, this is the final series. So all of this crap is going to be wound up in a couple of badly mangled edpisodes crammed full of exposition and characters who you vaguely remember seeing in the first series about twenty years back.

Ah well then battle in space, battle on a planet/planetoid, just as things seem darkest they pull it out of the bag but not without casualties (possibly only Hoff and Smith making it out alive) gongs all round and some loose ends tied up.

I'm hoping it is better than that though.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Mattriceten

And I thought 'Gypsy' was 'Piss', too. As in

"I'm just going for a quick Gypsy..."

Gypsy's Kiss = Piss

House of Usher

But how could it be "piss"?

The caption says "First thing in the gypsy" - what, first thing in the piss??? I don't want to cast aspersions on anyone else's morning routine, but I know I don't dive into a vat of piss on getting out of bed, two hours early or otherwise.
STRIKE !!!

Dark Jimbo

Don't knock it until you've tried it, Ush.
@jamesfeistdraws

Noisybast

"Boing rope must be very clever stuff"

Well, it is the miracle plastic...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!