Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

We've similar cases in recent years, but never more awful than this one: Something obnoxious and toxic, simmering away under the surface for years, suddenly springs to life. People inexplicably jump on board en masse, and this idea's popularity spreads to other countries, polarising once-harmonious communities. Eventually even the most innocuous social or even family gatherings become a tightrope-walk as divisions become massive schisms.

How has it become so popular? When did we let this phenomenon get out of control? Will the world ever return to relative normality? And above all, I'd like to apologise on behalf of my country.  Some day in the future it will be an imprisonable offence to deny Mrs Brown's Boys ever happened.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry.  Sounded much funnier in my head.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Ah: I was making a non-sequitur.

I will say, though, having done five seconds of thorough research, that I can't tell the difference between these two things:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Ah, I see.  Was out last night with a friend who lives in Korea and comes home once every couple of years, so I'm a bit delicate and thus paranoid today. (Also had to look up 'non-sequitur'.)

Funnily enough I've spent this week rewatching clips of Extras on YouTube, including one that showed When the Whistle Blows in its entirety.  And yeah, now you mention it...

Dandontdare

heh, I've had many a drunken blurt on this thread (apologies if that one was composed over a canalside breakfast coffee)
:lol:
I remember Mrs Browns Boys before it was on TV - it was a touring show that came back with a new show every year and sold out the Manchester Opera House every time. The show gets huge ratings, so while it may not be to my taste, if it makes millions of people laugh, so it is by definition good comedy*.

Ricky Gervais on the other hand - he can be soooo funny, but also a nasty piece of work (cf Sellars, Cleese and many others.) I only watched one episode of that particular turd, but I paid money for Extras on DVD, go figure.

*though they should fire the hack responsible for that crappy animation  ;)

EDIT - was typing before you posted that last

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 January, 2020, 11:27:08 PM
heh, I've had many a drunken blurt on this thread (apologies if that one was composed over a canalside breakfast coffee)
:lol:
I remember Mrs Browns Boys before it was on TV - it was a touring show that came back with a new show every year and sold out the Manchester Opera House every time. The show gets huge ratings, so while it may not be to my taste, if it makes millions of people laugh, so it is by definition good comedy*.

Ricky Gervais on the other hand - he can be soooo funny, but also a nasty piece of work (cf Sellars, Cleese and many others.) I only watched one episode of that particular turd, but I paid money for Extras on DVD, go figure.

*though they should fire the hack responsible for that crappy animation  ;)

EDIT - was typing before you posted that last

I think your memory is playing tricks on you, my friend - When the Whistle Blows never was a Ricky Gervais sitcom.  You're right about Gervais being a bit of a gobshite though, and about my being pissed  :D

Dandontdare

Ah, I thought it was a still from Derek, his misguided "genial-mentals" sitcom

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 January, 2020, 02:17:15 AM

I have biscuits.

Why do you always drag this thread into circular arguments about having biscuits versus not having biscuits?

TordelBack

Bourbons aren't circular. Although I accept that other revolutionary biscuits are.

The Legendary Shark

It's moot now anyway.

I ate them.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Funt Solo

Were they Jaffa Cakes?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 January, 2020, 04:39:15 PM
Were they Jaffa Cakes?

Some variety of Chulac baked good, certainly.