Main Menu

Ipad Pro 12.9 for reading Progs..opinions?

Started by mattp9989, 23 August, 2017, 02:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

"bizarre quest"?
"quit"?

Asking "have you tried...?" is perfectly reasonable when multiple apps exist for the job. Lighten up, ya silly.

The Adventurer

Chunky is way better then Zeal for my day to day comic reading imo, especially with syncing new comics via local server. It's new version, I'm currently beta testing, is going to have all kinds of useful new tools for syncing with a my digital comic collection.

I don't know if it's changed, but when I was using ComicZeal I was having to physically plug my iPad into my pc every time to sync new releases.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dr Feeley Good

Just upgraded my tablet, specifically for comic reading, gone from a old 10"tablet I had, which was a budget one to a Huawei Mediapad M5 10 lite, which is still 10" but the difference is unbelievable, can't believe I put up with the old one for so long!

TordelBack

Quote from: Fungus on 08 November, 2018, 01:09:33 AM
"bizarre quest"?
"quit"?

Asking "have you tried...?" is perfectly reasonable when multiple apps exist for the job. Lighten up, ya silly.

Nothing says 'I have an agenda' like creating a brand new account to accuse someone of having an agenda...  But welcome to the forum all the same topper24hours!

CalHab

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 November, 2018, 08:25:48 AM
Quote from: Fungus on 08 November, 2018, 01:09:33 AM
"bizarre quest"?
"quit"?

Nothing says 'I have an agenda' like creating a brand new account to accuse someone of having an agenda...  But welcome to the forum all the same topper24hours!

While resurrecting a year old thread. Odd behaviour, indeed.

IndigoPrime

Yeah, bit weird. My day job is mostly an apps beat. I've used them all (er, as in comics readers – not all apps). I recommend Chunky because I believe it to be the better reader on iPad. On iPhone, I'm not really a comics reader, and so don't really have an opinion there right now. (Comic Zeal, for example, is not optimised for iPhone X, let alone the XS Max.) On iPad, Chunky happens to be a cheaper option, too, and is actually updated regularly. (It was last updated in October. Comic Zeal last got an update over two years ago.)

It'll be interesting to see what happens next with Chunky too – I have a beta of the revamp and it has a very different take that, if the dev can get things working, will be just about perfect for how I deal with digital comics.

Oh, and the new iPad Pros are lovely, in case anyone here was wondering. The new 12.9 is smaller than its predecessor, and a little lighter. (Entertainingly, it's now 50g lighter than the original iPad.) The 11in retains the form factor and weight of its predecessor, but has a slightly larger display – although few apps currently take advantage of that. (It's only increased on the long edge, and so most apps currently have black bars, albeit small ones. This means you see the status bar at the top and a bar beneath the Home indicator.)

Dr Feeley Good

I use ComicCat on android and it seems spot on, used to use Comicrack which I liked, but one day it stopped working and even deleting it and reinstalling wouldn't sort it...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dr Feeley Good on 08 November, 2018, 09:45:35 AM
I use ComicCat on android and it seems spot on, used to use Comicrack which I liked, but one day it stopped working and even deleting it and reinstalling wouldn't sort it...

Yeah I lost Comicrack the same way. Such a shame.

I'm trying Astonishing Comics but its far from perfect but I'm too lazy to go for anythign else!

mattp9989

So back more on topic...for us that are not in the know the apect ratio of the ipad pro 12.9 is more like reading a prog than any other tablet?   im looking to upgrade and while i will read standard comics as well, i want something that "reads" magazines as close to the real thing as possible and im thinking it might be the ipad

IndigoPrime

Your best bet is to stick a digital Prog online somewhere, and then check it out in an Apple Store. For my money, the 11in iPad Pro is fine for reading Progs and other comics, but you may prefer the larger display. The flip-side is that comes with more weight (631g vs 468) and a higher price=tag (+£200 on what's already an expensive device).

Another option, for those keen on an iPad, might be to source an iPad Air 2, which is still supported by the latest iOS. It's slim and light, but also has the screen coating that's omitted on the mirror-like cheaper iPads Apple's released since. (The display is a bit smaller, mind, at 9.7in.)

The Adventurer

The iPad Pro 12.9in is 4:3 like all the iPad models (I think). That means basicly any magazine, manga, eurocomic, or 'golden age sized'* comics will basicly fit perfectly.  US style comics will have noticeable empty space on the right and left side of the screen.

*this is the technical name for the size and shape of 2000AD's paperback reprints, and the bagged Meg reprints.

IndigoPrime

The new 11in is 4.3:3—the first iPad since the original to have a new aspect ratio. Chunky works fine with it, of course.

shaolin_monkey

I got the plain old 2018 iPad, and 2000AD looks bloody lovely on it.

The Adventurer

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 01 March, 2019, 01:19:02 PM
I got the plain old 2018 iPad, and 2000AD looks bloody lovely on it.

Same. And it sure does.

Art