Main Menu

Brighton?

Started by Mike Carroll, 09 March, 2005, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

Hooray! I'm off to Blighty for the weekend! Anyone know of any good comic shops / SF bookshops in Brighton?

-- Mike

Tweak72

yep i think its called davids comic shop
comics international has the addie if you scroll down a bit

Link: http://www.comics-international.com/Directory/comics_shops_uk.html#southeastcomicshops" target="_blank">comics international

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

House of Usher

It's a while since I've been there, but there are a couple. Think one's called Hive. The other one used to be called Fantastic Store - not sure what it's called now.

Both are in the area of town known as North Lane.

Here's some garbled info I got from 'Knowhere' on the web:

1.North Lanes-agogo!
David's Comic Shop on Sydney Street is the last remaining comic store in town. Gone are Forbidden Planet, Fantastic Store, and Hive doesn't stock anymore.

2.Fantastic Store has moved out of the comic side of the business into the merchandise / toys side, and now for comics about the only place to really go is: Reservoir Frogs, 6 Kensington Gardens, North Lanes. 01273 687802 - Luckily it is also by far the best comic shop in the South-East (I was talking to a guy in there last week who had come down from London just to go to it!)

3. Fantastic Store - Good selection of comics covering indies to X-Men, toys etc. Helpful staff and more rock'n roll than Forbidden Planet.

4. There's a couple in the North Lanes, but I can't remember what they're called.

Then there's the sublimely irrelevant:
"Dillons in Boundary Road Portslade carry my fave tattoo magazines" and "Private Stores, Surrey St."
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

David's is a reasonably good bet, but Comics International's website hasn't been updated for about 5 years.

David's started out as a dealer in second-hand books and comics, but began stocking new material in the last 10 years, undercutting its rivals.
STRIKE !!!

Tweak72

oh yes and if you walk from the station down under the station (passed the pub with a rip john peel painting on it) you will pass a lot of second hand book shops on the way
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

House of Usher

David's is the only one you can find on yell.co.uk

Sydney Street, North Lane, it is then.
STRIKE !!!

Tanky

The pub under the station has a John Peel painting? Blimey, thats a bit ironic seeing as (IIRC) they voluntarily gave up their public ents license about 4 years ago to start a restaurant. A nice thought though, i'll look out for that on me next visit.
As for comic stores, the only one i know of has already been mentioned, but tis indeed a good'un
--:)

Richmond Clements

Mike, why not hold off and go to the Con in May..?

House of Usher

Is this pub under the station by any chance the Prince Albert on Trafalgar Street?
STRIKE !!!

Tanky

That's the bugger! Couldn't remember the name for the life of me!

Mike Carroll

Thanks for the info, guys!

> Mike, why not hold off and go to the Con in May..?

No can do, Rac... Unless I can figure out a way to go back in time eighty years and convince Harry Harrison's mother not to have her baby for another two months!

Yes, it's uncle Harry's 80th birthday on March 12th!

If anyone wants to send birthday greetings to the great man, post 'em here before 8am on Friday (so I'll have time to compile them into a list and print it out before I depart for the airport!).

Cheers,
Mike

House of Usher

Brighton has an airport now???
STRIKE !!!

Mike Carroll

> Brighton has an airport now???

I wish! No, I have to fly from Dublin to Stansted, get a train into London, and another train to Brighton. There'll probably be a tube journey or two in there too. I'm not sure; I'm making it up as I along!

Mike

House of Usher

aaaand.... Harry Harrison lives in Brighton now?
STRIKE !!!

Mike Carroll

Harry divides his time between Ireland, Brighton and California (that is, when he's not off travelling...)!