Main Menu

why doctor who will probally suck.

Started by doktor bee, 10 March, 2005, 12:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doktor bee

The new doctor who series looks terrible to me.
i believe it will just be a nostalgia fest meaning new fans wont take to it and that it wont be as scary as the old seasons use to be.

i was a big fan of doctor who when i was about eight before i stopped watching television. i was looking forward to the new series but the adverts and press make it look terrible to me.

therev

er..If you stopped watching TV at aged 8 how do you know what the adverts look like?
;-)

DavidXBrunt

Why Doctor Who will probably be brilliant (in no particular order) -

* A talented lead actor.

* Directors and production staff with a proven track record.

* A writing team that has writers who've proven themselves on acclaimed T.V. shows, novels and stageplays who are also Who fans.

* A honking great budget.

* A list of starry guest actors as long as your arm.

* A producer/writer who is responsible for some of the greatest T.V. shows in recent memory who also understands and loves Doctor Who as much as the next fan.

I'm going into this with nothing but unbridled optimism. It might fall at the first hurdle. It really could. But I don't think it will.

Adrian Bamforth

I didn't think they should bring it back, When they decided to, I thought they must have come up with a new angle, made it more like a costume drama, brought in more Time Lord mythology or returned it to it's more classic HG Welles'/HP Lovecraft roots.

However, it looks kind of the same to me but with a less colourful Doctor. As Alan Moore said it was never the most well-defined universe. For stories to work there kind of has to have something to say, I'm not sure if the show had anything left to say. And I say that as a huge fan of Steven Moffat, Press Gang and new Doctor Who writer.

ADE

Funtwangle

quimby

those reasons didnt help battlestar galactica

Krustabi

"A talented lead actor"

Who also, if reports are to be believed, seems like a bit of an arse.

The picture of the tree-lady on the cover of today's Times looks promising though...

Matt Timson

What was wrong with Battlestar Galactica?  I thought it was miles better than the dreary toss the original series was*...

*apart from that whole 'searching for water' bit.  ;)
Pffft...

Funtwangle

i watched 2 or 3 episodes and couldn't rmember who anybody was or why the hell i was watching

so i switched off and went and did something less boring instead

like paintstripping

SamuelAWilkinson

Dreary toss? The original series was neither dreary nor toss.

Well, until that bit where they turned up at Earth and kept going down to the planet to fight cylons whom the general populace kept assuming were going to, at, or coming from a costume party.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Max Kon

My mother says he's a nice guy. She met him just after the radio times article on him becoming Who at some physcoanalasis group thingy. He didn't seem to want to be there, but that was because most of the people there were prats and asking him stupid questions. Acording to my ma

Leigh S

Just seen a clip on Richard and Judy that made me feel very positive at the very least the standard of acting we'll be seeing. Hell, RTD does great dialogue as well.  All the reports I've read have said that its far from a nostalgia fest - the last thing it is is an attempt to ape or parody the past.  

In fact, the only thing that has been raised that made me think twice was the wheelie bin thing, which avoiding spoilers, did sound potentially silly.  Then I realised it was the kind of thing Wagner and Grant would do in a strip, and even that doubt kind of lessened.

In fact, the only thing thats puzzling me from teh clips I've seen so far is Rose Tylers plummy accent - isn't she supposed to be from some council estate?

Leigh S

shazhughes

Watched it, sort of enjoyed it.
The main characters werent too bad but the opening episode evil world dominating wannabes were just awful.
The scene with a rubbish bin was very bad but overall it was good enough to make me want to come back and watch the second one.

irving9000

I am optimistic. Partly because I am repeatedly told the writer is good, but more so because of Eccleston. Very rarely when I'm watching something (or after) someone stands out to me as a very good actor, and that happened when I watched a bbc2 drama years ago called 'Our friends in the north', which ecclestone was excellent in. also i hear he aggressively pursued the part, putting himself forward in the first instance. Heard something about him getting pissed off if people try to talk to him between scenes, sounds good, he is v.motivated apparently.

Bico

Battlestar Galactica was a great show!  You mentalismist Timson, what kind of space-drugs were you on in the 80s?
The original couldn't afford to have good actors, convincing sfx or a convincing story-arc running through the first series, but assumed it did and went ahead with mad stuff anyway - that bit where they met the space-devil and it turned out to be the Cylon's leader was crazy stuff!
The new show just tries to be a jack of all trades without excelling in any of the componant parts which make up an average episode - pretty twenty-somethings with interpersonal issues, a small community of professionals dealing with difficult circumstances, an aircraft carrier in space - it would probably help if one of the central storylines wasn't cheapo-sci-fi-favourite "the enemy look JUST LIKE US."  And the new cgi robot Cylons are so unconvincing they make the original Cylons look scary.
Her that played Donnie Darko's mum is always watchable, though - as is Edward James Olmos.  I just wish every female character wasn't defined by their relationship to men, and that black actors weren't so visibly absent from the cast - all the ethnic characters are either suspiciously caucasian-looking, or tottie.  Still, maybe they have a cure for being black on this alien planet of theirs.  Just like most sci-fi shows seem to take place in a universe where they have a cure for being gay.