Main Menu

1462 - School Daze

Started by DavidXBrunt, 24 October, 2005, 11:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tordelbach

Mmmm, great prog.

Mandroid.  It simply cannot get better than this.  Story of the year, no question.

No strong feelings about Rennie's Rogue one way or t'other, but as to Blue:  Well, she clearly isn't a Genetic INFANTRYman, what ever she else is, and obviously wasn't at the Quartzone massacre.  Maybe she's a GA(irman)?  Thus leaving Rogue as the last GI, Venus as the last Doll (hmmm)...

I don't see what the problems with Leatherjack are!  I've enjoyed this greatly so far, and was sure it would end any week now - great to see it's been given room to breathe, it's a gem.

The Red Seas is something I've been ambivalent about in the past, but this one is fun (even if everyone accepts a non-biblical age for the earth and catastrophe theory rather rapidly for the 17th century, but hey, given that they have hydrofoils...).  Yeowell's artwork has improved massively with this series - I've thought his recent stuff very sketchy, almost as if he never quite got used to living without colour again, but this is sharp and detailed.

Sin/Dex.  Lovely to look at, but after all these years of tripe I just can't care about another Big Plot.

philt

Can't believe Rogue Trooper is back. I thought this had been buried never to darken our doors ever again?

Leigh S

The female GI, does adhere to the precedent set in the GFD period for other GIs to be about.  however, the idea of another combat active GI (male or female) on Nu Earth just doesnt chime right for me.  It was the one element of the (mostly)otherwise agreeable RT novel "Crucible" that kind of watered down my enjoyment.  

If you look at GFDs other GIs, there's Venus (stranded non combatant), and Azure (desk bound, off planet), and the regened Gunnar and Magnam are specifically there to get Rogue, not to fight Norts or Southers.  The other reason i feel she doesnt work is that it just seems to me that Gordon has more fun writing for her than Rogue, who sometimes comes across as more parody of the original than recreation. I fell like shes walked in from another strip that thinks it's more sophisicated than this one about a lumbering man with a talking hat. Which is a shame, as I still think Rogue as a setting AND character have a lot to offer on their own terms.

Funt Solo

"Cinnabar" demonstrated that there's life in the character and setting of the original Rogue Trooper (whilst it naturally built on much that had gone before).

Having said that, the original series, right up until the death of the Traitor General, had, in effect, told the entire story of the Rogue Trooper.  

Dragging him to Horst to find a magic potion, or placing him under the command of enigmatic aliens wrapped in a riddle was just forcing things to continue past their natural end point.

The story had a beginning, middle and end.  Now that he's been forced into new rogue situations, re-invented as Friday, re-born as Tor Cyan, re-jigged as Rogue-with-a-different-virus [Rennie] and finally paid homage to (recent outtings) how are long term readers supposed to be able to invest any consideration in the character?  Who is he, anyway?

Now Rafe, the sassy female GI combat pilot with her sidekick computer Gabe - she is a new and interesting character.  The first time I saw her, crash-landed and helped out by Rogue, she was the main character and Rogue was the cameo guest appearance.  The same goes here.

To summarise:  I enjoyed the latest instalment, but I consider it Rafe's story, not Rogues.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

I think youre right, it's Rafes stiory, and as such, its as mucha reinvention as Friday, rather than a return to Rogue.

And you're right about the reason for Rogues ills. The only real cure for Rogue os to resurrect the Traitor General and ignore all stories post "The Ends of Nu Earth" (or possibly post "Horst" and have Rogue get word that the TG is still alive).

This may sound as if it's pretty drastic, but the TGs death in "Ends of" is not actually seen, and was pretty lame anyway. Given the knots that wirters have written themselves in to try and bring some joy back to Rogue without success, I think it would be a very small evil