Main Menu

1466 - The Power And The Glory

Started by DavidXBrunt, 21 November, 2005, 05:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

Droid Life: Ha-ha, very clever, wasn't expecting that "twist". This was something different to the usual  DROID X HAS CHARACTERISTIC Y LOL stuff that Droid Life has seemed to have become ( to me anyway). Keep it up Cat. Good Stuff.

Dredd: Flint's art is as gorgeous as ever, and I think it was a good decision to assign this story to him, as this is obviously a hugely important "canon" episode, as he has become one of the "A"-artisits in recent years, which, in turn helps cement Gordon's status as THE FUTURE OF DREDD. The script and art are somewhat subdued, but in a clever and intriguing fashion, and not going down what seems to be having Dredd involved in a firefight at the start of the episode is an important touch, as it highlights the gravity of the situation. Once again, Rennie uses a familiar dramatic device, (A villain playing Chess), without seeming horribly cliched and passe. I suppose you could compare this to a Caballistics Inc. episode, but that is obviously not a criticism. Really Great Stuff.

Red Seas: Whilst I love this strip, in the past it has sometimes felt like harmless escapism, but now there is a real sense of danger and menace behind this story. While i worry that this may be due to the amount of exposition Edgington has had time to do, the characters are always engaging enough to keep you reading. Very Good Stuff.

Leatherjack: This episode must of been a gas to write, it's absolute carnage from start to finish, and is totally riveting as a result. In the past, I've had reservations about Qwish as the main villain (Although I suspect this is mainly due to the way in which he resembles the Hedonism Bot from Futurama*), here he is completely contemptable in a way that few vilaains are. Plus I LOVE the return of the librarian ants thingies. Double-Length next week? Great Stuff.

Sin/Dex: Well now the action has started I hope this doesn't suffer a drop in standards, as this whole story has been Good/Great Stuff mainly because it hasn't had an overabundance of tedious shootouts and DAbnett's patented Lame Puns. For once I'm actually looking forward to The Action Packed Climax, as there is a reason to like Ramone, Finny and chums. Plus Apellido ordering Billi's death was a genuinely chilling moment. Good Stuff.

Tales of the Two Treatises of Human Government: I like how each of these shorts concentrates on a different part of life on Leviathan, this week we get to see the power struggles that occurred aboard the ship, of particular interest was the subtle way in which both the Captain and that Demon Guy have to take minor victories over Ashbless in the same sort of way. Everything about this strip feels authentic, which I suppose is the best compliment I can give. Plus D'Israeli is always Rocking. Great Stuff.

Overall: Great Stuff.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!