Main Menu

New Poll: Rogue Trooper ? what do you think?

Started by 2000AD Online, 09 March, 2006, 04:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

I, Cosh

Option missing:

He was an OK character - The new stuff is pointless (unless you've got a game to sell) - The game looks OK for yet another dull shooter; I might hire it - Whither Will Simpson?
We never really die.

Tweak72

Or: He was a Brilliant character but has suffered from too much "lets see if we can squeeze more new adventures and therefor more pounds out of him" after the death of the TG (This did not apply to "The war Machine" or "Cinnabar" because they both rocked)
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

House of Usher

He was an OK character - my older brother who read my comics but was never a 2000ad fan liked him a lot better than I did - The new stuff is pointless (unless you've got a game to sell) - I don't buy computer games.
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Steve Pugh's artwork on the current Rogue Trooper story has an old-fashioned feel to it, like something that might have appeared in a 2000ad annual c.1980 - his Shark-Man strip in Al Big Issue Zero had a similarly vintage look.

Link: http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/sharkman.htm" target="_blank">Shark-Man

STRIKE !!!

Art

Hey, Roguews Supermarket Dash is going to be a classic!

Al_Ewing

Horst was great fun at the time, with all the freaky aliens, and even The Hit pushed my adolescent buttons (mostly thanks to Dillon art, but still, there were some scrotnig ideas there). I think Friday was where things went a bit wrong, although Dave Gibbons did an excellent first story.

So I suppose I'm blaming Mike Fleisher really. I don't like doing that. For me, the man who did the seminal, hideously violent and fantastically thrill-powered Spectre and Jonah Hex stories will always be a writer among writers...
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Tweak72

gibbons and simpson's the war machine was indeed a brilliant (i at the time thought and still do even better then the brilliant horned god which was running at the time as well) story but in my opinion it should have been a stand alone and never taken further the rest was utter bollox very very poor
only good for the new and then current art talent that cropped up on it (henry flint anyone?)
paper moon? my ass!
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

auxlen

I love rogue trooper and for me Nu Earth was the thing that hooked me the most. For me all that bio wire and decay and chem pits etc was superb. Cam kennnedy's weird vegetation art etc.

The stories were good too and showed good invention but they were, for me, a little one dimensional. They did have that 2000ad odness about them though, which i loved.

I wasn't too keen on the war on Horst(?) and the Ortiz(?) art was a bit chaotic for me, but I loved Hitman for reasons that elude me to this day.

After watching the movies of gameplay on the rogue webby I say it looks cool and will probably get it...but Nu Earth looks too clean to me....I don't get any sense of the chemical mess it is....but won't know till i play it.

Wils

Ortiz(?) art was a bit chaotic for me

I've always really liked Ortiz's art. The Tower King in the 80s Eagle was great (one of the artistic shining stars of the early issues along with Gerry Embleton's Dare reboot), along with House of Daemon(?), Fifth Horseman and the fantastic 13th Floor.

auxlen

I agree the 13th floor was great. I just felt at the time it looked wrong for rogue. i suppose i was at the age where cam kennedy was god and if anyone was gonna draw rogue it was him!
I remember being upset becuase cam didn't draw all of fort neuro. hahah.

WoD

For me it is best to put current and future stories in to the same time-line as when Rogue was still searching for the TG.  Nu-Earth was one of the stars of the story for me (like the Meg in JD), there was always something interesting to be had out of the melting pot of a world struggling with invading armies and aliens trying to make a quick buck.

Dudley

This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but:

What happened at the end of the Traitor General arc?

I remember it vaguely and I know that rogue caught the bad guy, but did the war on Nu-Earth suddenly come to a stop or something?  What's the difficulty with setting stories post-Traitor General on Nu-Earth?

GordonR

Rogue did finally catch up with the Traitor General, bue he didn't actually kill him.  The Traitor tried to escape again, and was killed by the conveniently arriving Souther forces, which, after years of the vengeance hunt for the Traitor, was a bit.....crap.

Rogue was cleared of being a deserter and taken back to Mill-com, where Bagman, Helm and Gunnar were regened.  Then they fell to bits (literally) because of some biochip virus, and Rogue went rogue again and ran off to Horst to find the cure.

At the end of the Horst story, the Norts & Southers were talking peace terms, and the war was over.  

Then evil aliens arrived to kill both sides' High Command to re-start it all again.  And then came The Hit story.

Unless you re-write continuity  - and I don't see why someone shouldn't - Rogue basically leaves Nu Earth after the Traitor's death.

Note.  Some of this might not be exactly how it happened.

House of Usher

I always like Ortiz's art, and it did come as a surprise in Rogue Trooper. He draws great deserts, but his military equipment lacked solidity and his lizards looked a bit skinny.
STRIKE !!!